Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits Guide to Limerick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

ha, I have a good guess about where they got the story about the bounty bar from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Can't believe this hasn't been posted up here

Most of us think they're knobs that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

xi wrote: »

I thought I was one of the few to think their "act" was boring and unoriginal

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

All they do is glorify scum and their culture. surprising given that they are from North Circular/Ennis Road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

L.T.P. wrote: »
    All they do is glorify scum and their culture. surprising given that they are from North Circular/Ennis Road area.

Some of that clip is down near the triangle in the North Circular near Westfields I think.
    They're a bit over-rated to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I've been a fan of theirs since they came onto the scene in around 2001. They have been consistently hilarious since then.

They don't glorify being a scumbag. They are only taking the pi$$ and they are certainly much more original than most comedians(90% of which are rubbish).

Furthermore, they have re-invented themselves at least 3 times. They went from prank calls to music to live shows and now are doing stuff on TV.

They are quite easily the best entertainers out of Limerick at the minute and all you are doing is complaining. Don't like em? Don't watch em.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Jofspring

What difference does where they are from make? They are playing characters.

People don't complain about Sacha Baron Cohen playing forgien characters in his sketches.

They are very funny lads. Its called Comedy, some like it some don't. They aren't supposed to be taken serious and personally i think they are hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

padma wrote: »
    ha, I have a good guess about where they got the story about the bounty bar from :D

Come on, tell us.
    CiaranMT wrote: »
    Can't believe this hasn't been posted up here.

I posted the guide to Limerick on a thread called Limerick Tourism Videos a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

yupyup7up wrote: »

They don't glorify being a scumbag. They are only taking the pi$$ and they are certainly much more original than most comedians(90% of which are rubbish).

Er, Des Bishop, D'unbelievables, Peter Kaye, Tommy Tiernan, all acts based on taking the piss out of how certain groups of people behave. Original indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tommy Tiernan hasn't been funny in a long time. Des Bishop is creative enough (making a comedy career out of Gaelic is no mean feat) but hasn't made me laugh since I was 14. D'Unbelievables were made up of two outstanding performers, but they haven't worked together for years. I like Peter Kay, but I know he has as many critics as he does fans.

I don't agree with everything the Rubberbandits do, but when something they recorded in 2001 still gets my roaring with laughter in 2010, I will argue in their favour. They are very, very funny young men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Is it not satire rather than glorify?
    Not everybody has to like them but at least they are trying.
    Fair play to them IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

You're probably just pissed because they once cheated you out of a bounty bar :P

I still have the old CD that made the rounds, the Septic Tanks sketch never gets old for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I would say they are parodying more than glorifying scum and their culture. Iirc, Malcolm Gladwell has written about how comedians taking the piss out of the Ku Klux Klan made the KKK into a laughing stock and reduced their effectiveness, same with Tina Fey fairly much destroying Sarah Palin in the American Presidential election.

A well done parody can really change how you view groups of people, next time you see a scumbag, just think of them throwing snails at people's houses and see if you still see them as a threat.

As I've said before, the vast majority of scumbags are harmless tossers who should be ignored. Anyhow, even if that wasn't true, it's still a funny sketch, their one of Temple Bar is pretty crap though.

Edit, it's in Freakonomics, by Levitt and Dubner about the KKK, not in a Malcolm Galdwell article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

someones missing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I posted the guide to Limerick on a thread called Limerick Tourism Videos a while back.

I'd love to see the looks on tourists' faces looking at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

yupyup7up wrote: »
    I've been a fan of theirs since they came onto the scene in around 2001. They have been consistently hilarious since then.

They don't glorify being a scumbag. They are only taking the pi$$ and they are certainly much more original than most comedians (90% of which are rubbish).

Furthermore, they have re-invented themselves at least 3 times. They went from prank calls to music to live shows and now are doing stuff on TV.

They are quite easily the best entertainers out of Limerick at the minute and all you are doing is complaining. Don't like em? Don't watch em.:rolleyes:
    +1 couldn't have said it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Come on, tell us.

There was a lad from Balla when I was growing up who had a nickname, bounty bar. Apparently he was dared to suck a horses dick for a bounty bar. Whether it was true or not I don't know but apparently he did. I'm not saying anything further as he is a sound enough chap, and it isn't in my business to slag people on the internet annonymous or not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

padma wrote: »
    There was a lad from Balla when I was growing up who had a nickname, bounty bar. Apparently he was dared to suck a horses dick for a bounty bar. Whether it was true or not I don't know but apparently he did. I'm not saying anything further as he is a sound enough chap, and it isn't in my business to slag people on the internet annonymous or not!!

that's brilliant, a story he can tell his grandkids, "C'mere and I tell ya how I inspired the Rubberbandits".

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Jambo221 wrote: »
    You're probably just pissed because they once cheated you out of a bounty bar :P

I still have the old CD that made the rounds, the Septic Tanks sketch never gets old for me :D

Please don't open old wounds, people do not understand confectionery crime until it happens to them.

also It should have stopped with that old CD, let them not flog a dead horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I gave up reading the thread when somebody accused them of "glorifying" scum culture.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to miss a point so badly - I'm actually embarrassed for you.

• Advertisement

Please don't open old wounds, people do not understand confectionery crime until it happens to them.

also It should have stopped with that old CD, let them not flog a dead horse.
    Hey, I understand plenty, I have a sad tale about a poor lad and a honeycomb toblerone...

Also, I think what they do is brilliant, but there's plenty other talent that get's ignored like Dryadsaddle and The Shams and stuff.
    I still don't see the point in putting them down just because they differ from your opinion, it's hardly flogging a dead horse when they're not reusing jokes, the act is plenty diverse for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I think some of you are seriously missing the comedy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27UUOniDyXg

Spotted this earlier, brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Copper Paaaaaiiipe!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Word on the street says they're recording a new video tomorrow morning ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Rubber bandits are gas - we all need a laugh these days - can`t believe people are putting them down - even the shams like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rubber bandits are gas - we all need a laugh these days - can`t believe people are putting them down - even the shams like them.

The comedy is even more lost on scobes, they dont seem to understand they're having the piss taken out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Check this out.

Some funny s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

pointing-up.JPG
    That's limerick city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Some of the prank 'phone calls were pure gold. To be honest, I reckon they haven't hit the same standard with the video stuff, but anyone who tells Dermot Whelan to f*** himself gets my vote.

Advertisement