Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits Guide to Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 amcshannon

Derek Mooney is a fan and just played the sanitised version. His blue rinse brigade will probably leave him now........ How Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 11 amcshannon

amcshannon wrote: »
    Derek Mooney is a fan and just played the sanitised version. His blue rinse brigade will probably leave him now........ How Sad

Knew it.... he just lost a long time listener.......ha, ha.
    Fair play to Mooney, he sees it for what it is :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jood10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Anthony I must say well done! You have just raised Willie O'Dea several notches in everyones view.

Major Fail there you humourless muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Actually listening back to it now, I think Anthony is drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Drunk on his indignant self righteousness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's hilarious is the way that this guy, Anthony, kept repeating "It's a joke!"
    He really doesn't see the irony in describing a joke as a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

[paraphrase]'It is a joke Anthony, that's the point'[/paraphrase]

Edit:
    From here http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/audio-horseplay-on-liveline-as-rubberbandits-defend-song-2010-12/

"
    It’s a joke,” the angry caller said.

“It is a joke, yeah. You’re hitting the nail on the head there, kid,”

This was also gold:
    “If you look at the film American History X with Edward Norton where he’s a racist, if you look at that literally, then you might as well call around to Edward Norton the actor’s house and call him a racist,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

. misinformation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 danielmoran

I'm from limerick and i do not find it offensive. Anthony is not representative of the majority of limerick.

Its meant to be controversial and the fact that it was discussed on such a mainstream radio programme means that it was successful.

GO ON Willie!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I really hope Anthony gets a life for himself. It must be a miserable cold existence being such an uptight clown.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Right, just finished listening to the Live Line podcast.

First of all, it reassured me that my long-standing practice of avoiding that show is by far the best policy to take. The type people who tend to be given air-time never fail to annoy me. Joe Duffy must laugh all the way home every day, making his living from talking to the naïve, over-sensitive and unreasonable creatures who call in.

Secondly, Blind Boy Boat-club out-argued every point that was made against him most eloquently and calmly. For that he should be praised.

Third: Willie O'Dea, despite being absolutely in the right, has probably done all kinds of damage to his image nationally. The saying goes that "one should never argue with an idiot, because the idiot will drag you down to their level and beat you by experience". He should have made his points and left instead of hanging around for thirty minutes repeating himself. No matter how many times he clarified his points, none of the other callers could get it through their skulls. They were pathetic to listen to.

Fourth: Blind Boy alluded to it when he reinforced the point that the song/video combination is a piece of art, but could have explained it more explicitly: the individuals in the video were playing characters. They were acting. They were not putting out personally held beliefs about drugs/drinking/child-rearing.

Fifth: best of luck to the Bandits in their quest for the Christmas #1. It's been years since the title meant anything musically. However, for them to do it this year would have great symbolic resonance. After hearing that interview today, I firmly believe they represent the exact kind of voice that Limerick and Ireland need to listen to. Innovative, intelligent and in good humour, as powerful a combination as it is entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Third: Willie O'Dea, despite being absolutely in the right, has probably done all kinds of damage to his image nationally.

I thought that resigning from office in disgrace was enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Fifth: best of luck to the Bandits in their quest for the Christmas #1. It's been years since the title meant anything musically. However, for them to do it this year would have great symbolic resonance.

A bit OT I don't see how an annual quest for a random Xmas no. 1 would have all that much symbolic resonance. Once it happens repeatedly it just becomes the norm. When Killing in the Name Of was Xmas no. 1 last year it had all of the resonance a stunt like that can have.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like just about anything to continue the tradition of blocking that years X-Factor tripe from getting the top spot. But once it's been done the first time, it has a lot less meaning each time thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

iguana wrote: »
    A bit OT I don't see how an annual quest for a random Xmas no. 1 would have all that much symbolic resonance. Once it happens repeatedly it just becomes the norm. When Killing in the Name Of was Xmas no. 1 last year it had all of the resonance a stunt like that can have.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like just about anything to continue the tradition of blocking that years X-Factor tripe from getting the top spot. But once it's been done the first time, it has a lot less meaning each time thereafter.

its not about xfactor. at all. Being xmas number one meant something a long long time before xfactor came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Everyone has to download that Liveline podcast for posterity. It will be comedy gold in years to come, here's the link.

EDIT: Right-click anywhere on the page and click 'save as' to download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Tefral

Willie O'Dea, despite being absolutely in the right, has probably done all kinds of damage to his image nationally..

Tis the Limerick people that vote him in anyway so people in Dublin or elsewhere that disagree dont matter.

Play this one full volume - note: if you don't have good bass on your speakers/headphones, it won't be appreciated as much:

cronin_j wrote: »
    Tis the Limerick people that vote him in anyway so people in Dublin or elsewhere that disagree dont matter.

Precisely. It's not as if he has any credibility nationally to lose anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Rome burns and half an hour to mouth pieces giving out about a parody

jes I despise that programme

The irony of Willie O' Dea defending the Rubberbandits against a fella called Anthony... It is beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Tefral

CiaranMT wrote: »
    The irony of Willie O' Dea defending the Rubberbandits against a fella called Anthony... It is beautiful.

No no... its Ant-nee

listening away to the podcast here

Evelyn Burke is appalled ..... will someone think of the children ...... hilarious

Pure comedy gold

What was the name of the spoof they did with a fella called Antnee and his girl, the domestic abuse one where it finishes up with yer wan saying 'I loove you, Antnee!'? Could never find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Everybody's entitled to have an opinion on WOD, good or bad. Some criticism is warranted, some isn't.

But at least he got off his a*se and had the balls to defend our city, on a controversial topic, on a high profile national radio show.
    Counts for a lot in my book.

Will we see Noonan, O Donnell, Power or O Sullivan, grow a pair and do the same?

amazing that the person who put the most well constructed and sensible argument together was blindboy

he certainly put Antnee and the dickhead Joe back in there boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

thought it was such a classic laugh at about 25minutes of that podcast where Joe Duffy just couldn't comprehend the accent and asked Blind Boy could he talk properly or was that his accent. Joe couldn't believe what he was hearing. A brilliant agrument put across by Blind Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

mitresize5 wrote: »
    amazing that the person who put the most well constructed and sensible argument together was blindboy

he certainly put Antnee and the dickhead Joe back in there boxes

What's amazing about it? Blindboy is only a character, the guy who came up the character and acts it out isn't an idiot. He's not some halfwit scumbag either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The fact is, a group of people who have worked hard over the years on their craft have been recognised and have a shot at a xmas number 1, and the possibility of their own tv show. If that doesn't warrant our support and good wishes i'm at a loss to think of what does?

ps
    that joe duffy stuff today was priceless

Advertisement