Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits Guide to Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

If you're buying a few copies, i believe its better for them if it goes through as sepearate transactions. AFAIK if its on the same transaction it only counts once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

zuroph wrote: »
    If you're buying a few copies, i believe its better for them if it goes through as sepearate transactions. AFAIK if its on the same transaction it only counts once.
    3 per shop is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

G-G-G-Galway lied to us?!?!

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How many sales do you normally need for the Christmas No1 here?Anyone got any previous figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

How many sales do you normally need for the Christmas No1 here?Anyone got any previous figures?

about 45,000 i read online somewhere recently, but i dont think they wil make it, not enough physical copies in stores, seems to be the issue

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Jagle wrote: »
    about 45,000 i read online somewhere recently, but i dont think they wil make it, not enough physical copies in stores, seems to be the issue

I heard on the radio that only about 10,000 was needed in Ireland, 45,000 sounds more like England.

I can't imagine any single would normally shift 45,000 copies in a week in Ireland, regardless of whether it's an independant or commercial release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Looks like they're losing the battle, here could be one of the reasons why:
    What 'The X Factor' winner has going for him is that his CD single is a cheap stocking-filler for parents to give their kids.

"The Rubberbandits' CD has 35 f***s on it.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/x-factor-star-steals-the-lead-on-bandits-in-chart-race-2471669.html

I heard on the radio that only about 10,000 was needed in Ireland, 45,000 sounds more like England.

I can't imagine any single would normally shift 45,000 copies in a week in Ireland, regardless of whether it's an independant or commercial release.

awh ya your probably right about it being in england tho 10,000 sounds low for ireland i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Mate of mine works in radio and he reckons usually it takes only 6000 to hit #1 in ireland.

ALSO,6 downloads = 1 physical cd copy sold.

Going to be awful hard to topple tbe xfactor with rules like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

barryd09 wrote: »
    Mate of mine works in radio and he reckons usually it takes only 6000 to hit #1 in ireland.

The bookies that have already paid out on this are probably kicking themselves. It's going to be such a shame is they don't get number 1 after all this.

Am betting in 3 months time, we'll remember the Bandits. Matt who?

• Advertisement

barryd09 wrote: »

wait so 1 cd in a shop = 1 sale, but you need 6 online sales to = 1 sale? thats bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Jagle wrote: »
    wait so 1 cd in a shop = 1 sale, but you need 6 online sales to = 1 sale? thats bull

yup. blindboy was on today fm referring to it as the corruption of the music industry.

Parsley wrote: »
    yup. blindboy was on today fm referring to it as the corruption of the music industry.

ya its kinda like the music industry wants you to buy cd's which we know if your trying to get to number one you would need a fair amount of which would keep it to the big labels advantages, right how do you change that because thats nonsense, why is a digital download 1/6th of a cd, there the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irelandireland

xi wrote: »
    Most of us think they're knobs that's why.

let me guess ur not from limerick.... or have absolutly no sense of humour... knobs are people like jedward... rubberbandits are one of a kind.... excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Even if the lads don't get the number 1 they can still be assured that their song is without a doubt the most memorable tune this year. They are almost guaranteed a record contract and a number 1 album and song in the very near future.

They have more hit songs up their sleeves thats for sure.

EDIT: Says here that they broke the download record with 15,000 downloads and that 1 download = 1 cd sale regarding the charts.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Rubberbandits-single-outselling-Matt-Cardle.6668449.jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

RonMexico wrote: »
    Even if the lads don't get the number 1 they can still be assured that their song is without a doubt the most memorable tune this year. They are almost guaranteed a record contract and a number 1 album and song in the very near future.

They have more hit songs up their sleeves thats for sure.

EDIT: Says here that they broke the download record with 15,000 downloads and that 1 download = 1 cd sale regarding the charts.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Rubberbandits-single-outselling-Matt-Cardle.6668449.jp

IF thats true then id say theyve done it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

RonMexico wrote: »
    1 download = 1 cd sale regarding the charts.

cool Fantastic news if true! I had wondered if a digital
    paid for download from itunes counted at all with regards
    to the regular physical chart ranking

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Bear in mind that Xmas no 1 is a different matter, it's always a very big singles sales week. And when there is a big online push for a certain song that probably skews things too. Last year Killing in the Name Of sold over half a million singles in Xmas week. And because many X-Factor fans didn't want the "left of field" song to beat their guy, the X-Factor single sold over 450,000.

So between Xmas and the fact that it's a "battle" for the top spot the numbers will probably be much higher than ordinary weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

According to this http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp Matt Cardle beat them to number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Could it be that Simon Cowell could instruct the Irish arm of his company to bulk buy all Matt Cardle cds, to basically just throw money at it until it beat the rubberbandits....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Limerick's Rubberbandits lose out to X-Factor's Matt Cardle in race to Christmas number one

'Bandits still break own download record for sales this week

Published Date:
    24 December 2010
    By Alan Owens
    LIMERICK'S Rubberbandits have missed out on securing a Christmas number one in the Irish charts to Matt Cardle, despite putting up a "heroic challenge" to the X-Factor winner.
    The London based company that compile the charts for the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) confirmed to the Limerick Leader that Cardle had beaten the 'Bandits to the top spot with sales just shy of 55,000 units, his 'When We Collide' selling just 500 units less than Elton John's 1997 'Candle in the Wind' record for the most single sold in a week in Ireland.

The 'Bandits sales for 'Horse Outside' were less than half Matt Cardle's tally with around 20,000 sales, but the Limerick group still trounced their own record of the previous week to claim the best-selling download ever in a week with the song.

"The Rubberbandits put up a heroic challenge to the X-Factor winner," said an industry spokesperson.

It is thought possible that the Rubberbandits may reach number one in next week's charts, as large amounts of the single only made it to Irish record stores as of Christmas Eve due to bad weather, with the chart decided at close of business on Thursday, December 23. Huge demand remains for the single.

The 'Bandits previously told the Leader that they were up against a "commercial beast" and "don't have the resources to compete".

Blind Boy Boat Club compared their attempt at scooping the X-Factor winner to the Irish Christmas number one - a feat no other act has achieved since 2002 - as akin to "two youngfellas from Limerick with hurley sticks taking on the British Army, as represented by Simon Cowell, Matt Cardle and Louis the traitor".

Speaking from their "winter hideaway at the Corbally baths" in Limerick, the 'Bandits denied any disappointment at failing to secure the Christmas number one spot and said Cardle deserved the accolade "as he doesn't have the looks, so he needed the number one at least".

"It is a bit like getting a complimentary honour in your Inter Cert, everyone knows what it really means," said Blind Boy.

'The Bandits reminded their fans that "a horse is not just for Christmas, it is for life", and vowed to return with another single in the new year.

The group play three shows in two days in Dolan's Warehouse next week. For more see Wednesday's Limerick Chronicle newspaper.

Hope Frank Shallo doesn't hear the "complimentary honour":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I Wanna Fight Your Father!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

how come they made it in Dublin? it's actually not a bad auld tune....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

very large crew needed, thats where they're all based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OI ZUROPH. Youre barred!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Talent ain't bad in this vid, but not up to the standard set by the bridesmaid in the last vid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jaysus, the obsession with Ms Mulqueen is getting ridiculous at this stage! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ABEasy wrote: »
    Talent ain't bad in this vid, but not up to the standard set by the bridesmaid in the last vid.

Think Roisin is a lot nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Wonder how much flak they will get for putting an irish flag in a blender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Berty wrote: »
    Wonder how much flak they will get for putting an irish flag in a blender?

Nah it was an ivory coast flag.

Advertisement