Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If google bought facebook

• 10-11-2010 5:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Is it me or is this thing that Google have just try to sell you anything..

I was typing in Audi to look up some specs for a post on another site. Now I have been getting this ad for the last two hours , in full colour a red Audi with a price tag on it . I wish I could afford an Audi , in fact I couldn't afford a second hand one. Suppose it's good in a way, shows how little Google know about me, just about what I search for.

So it got me thinking.

What a little gem Facebook is they have 500 Million users, although I say that figure is about 200 Million regardless, if Google got there hands on it there would be pure targeted adverts everywhere.

Why have they not bought it yet ?

Would you welcome the new owners or would you leave facebook ?

How much do you think facebook would be bought for if google where to buy the site I say about 40Billion $

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

because then they would control the spice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

They tried to compete with google buzz. You must have blinked..

You might have answered your own question by estimating the price.

I would guess that Facebook wouldn't sell, especially to Google, at any price. I imagine they are already rich to the point where money doesn't mean a whole lot anyway. Facebook is monetized than Youtube I am certain, thanks to the contextual ads. Facebook might well think they could grow past google in the long run too, tbh.

If I was the Facebook guy I wouldn't sell at any price.

edit: on wikipedia it says facebook's revenue in 2009 was $800,000,000. So yeah - money is not an object at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

those ads to your right hand side of your profile in facebook already do that.

Plus any games or applications you use mostly pay for your information to target you with ads and get info from what you have posted, where you are etc etc.

Facebook use your information more than you know, more than they tell you about and more than you originally signed up for (if you read the T&Cs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

those audi ads are called re-targeting. they've recently been introduced to adwords, when you click something, ads follow you around the net until you buy or something. imo, they're retarded.

on another note, click this link while logged into google to see what they know about you:
    http://www.google.com/ads/preferences

it's kinda innaccurate for me, but some correct ones there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

those audi ads are called re-targeting. they've recently been introduced to adwords, when you click something, ads follow you around the net until you buy or something. imo, they're retarded.

on another note, click this link while logged into google to see what they know about you:
    http://www.google.com/ads/preferences

it's kinda innaccurate for me, but some correct ones there

Interesting that link , here is mine;

Music & Audio - Dance & Electronic Music
    Music & Audio - Radio
    Clubs & Organizations
    Web Services - Web Design & Development
    Newspapers
    Communities - Forum & Chat Providers
    Estate - Apartments & Residential
    General Reference - Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
    Foreign Language Resources
    Classifieds

Can't understand the Foreign Language & Estate stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

msg11 wrote: »

What a little gem Facebook is they have 500 Million users, although I say that figure is about 200 Million regardless, if Google got there hands on it there would be pure targeted adverts everywhere.

there already is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Facebook switched to Bing a while back for some reason as their search engine. Doesn't make a difference really, both Google's and Bing's FB searches were shi'ite.

Adblock Plus for those banner ads if you use Chrome or Firefox. Or a FB extension, I use Beautify Facebook CR Edit, has the option of removing ads from your page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

google book

face google

google face

sounds good Im in :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

/face palm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Facebook switched to Bing a while back for some reason as their search engine. Doesn't make a difference really, both Google's and Bing's FB searches were shi'ite.

Adblock Plus for those banner ads if you use Chrome or Firefox. Or a FB extension, I use Beautify Facebook CR Edit, has the option of removing ads from your page.

Microsoft has a stake in facebook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

It would fúck it up like it Fúcked up youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

That what I love about living in the Czech Republic. Facebook/Google do Geo-location on their pages, so all the ads are in Czech, which I speak very little of. At this point my brain doesn't register any of them.

Between that and Ad Block Plus, and no telly any more, I don't see many ads. You dont miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭travelguru

Google is bigger than Facebook so they don't really need to buy them but would be a handy asset.

When you search on Google e.g "audi" an advertiser is telling google that when someone searches for this word, they want their ad to show up and are willing to pay such a price in order to beat the competition.
    Google takes a cut off the ads when they are clicked on or a per 1,000 impressions.
    So if you see an ad that is not related to you, it is not google who are making the error, it is the company advertising their product that are using the wrong words and losing themselves money.

Facebook is estimated to be worth 25 billion dollars.

Facebook already do have targeted ads - it's how they pretty much made over a billion dollars this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

msg11 wrote: »
    Is it me or is this thing that Google have just try to sell you anything..

I was typing in Audi to look up some specs for a post on another site. Now I have been getting this ad for the last two hours , in full colour a red Audi with a price tag on it . I wish I could afford an Audi , in fact I couldn't afford a second hand one. Suppose it's good in a way, shows how little Google know about me, just about what I search for.

So it got me thinking.

Why have they not bought it yet ?

Would you welcome the new owners or would you leave facebook ?

How much do you think facebook would be bought for if google where to buy the site I say about 40Billion $

there already are targeted ads all over facebook, its how they make their money

they scan your profile, comments and private messages for keywords then display adds accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

PeakOutput wrote: »
    there already are targeted ads all over facebook, its how they make their money

they scan your profile, comments and private messages for keywords then display adds accordingly

yup :) i figured that one out when months ago i used get all those dating site ad's, then i switch my status to 'engaged' and voila every ad since has been trying to sell me wedding cakes/cars/venues! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

How is any of this news? Welcome to the internet folks.

Advertisement