Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

gbee wrote: »
    Can one upload video like a picture?

Upload the video to youtube and embed it here, or take a screen shot and attach as a picture. (non-moving of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

bright&gusty here(for now :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'll be hitting the road in about an hour and will not have internet for between 2 and 3 hours but will post an update on my return (providing I still have internet access). Will definately have access to my wireless unit as I have this across a battery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Red Meteoalarm warning for Donegal for gusts up to 148kph.

Orange for everywhere else with warning of gusts up to 130kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Country braces for storm

Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 10:05 AM

Householders were bracing themselves today as gale force winds were expected to batter the country.

Forecasters have issued a severe weather warning over a storm coming in off the Atlantic, with gusts of up to 140kph due in the north and west.

Road safety campaigners have cautioned motorists about the conditions.

Met Eireann’s John Eagleton said electricity poles and trees could come down in some areas while some structural damage could be expected to homes and other buildings.

“Basically the west and the north will be worst affected,” he said. “Donegal is really going to bear the worst of it. It will be windy everywhere but particularly so up there.”

Mr Eagleton said parts of Derry, Leitrim and Sligo will also be hit as the centre of the storm passes over the north coast towards Scotland.

The conditions are expected to last most of the afternoon, evening and into the night with westerly gale force winds of up to 120kph and gusts of up to 140kph.

High seas along the Atlantic coast are also threatening floods in low lying areas.

Winds are expected to ease overnight and into tomorrow morning.

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) called on all road users to take extra care during the stormy conditions and watch out for falling and fallen debris and objects being blown about.

Motorists may also be endangered by strong cross winds, with high-sided vehicles and motorcyclists particularly vulnerable, it said.

The RSA also urged walkers and cyclists to be extra cautious and make sure they are seen.

Clare County Council called on home and business owners to take precautionary steps.

It is putting in place contingency plans to increase water pumping capacity and other flood alleviation measures.

Ger Dollard, Ennis town manager, said river levels in Clare have increased significantly over the past two weeks.

“The council has been involved since late last week in putting in place a lot of preparatory and contingency measures on a precautionary basis due to present weather patterns,” he said.

“This has involved staff being specifically assigned to these measures.

“We continue to maintain a high level of vigilance in relation to a potential flooding situation and are assessing the most up-to-date data on a daily basis to best inform our response.”

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/country-braces-for-storm-481370.html#ixzz14yGLxYWZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Be safe everyone up the northwest today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Lots more lightning strike now moving onto west coast now!

Where are you getting this data from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Met Eireann warns of severe weather conditions

High winds and rain are expected to batter the West and North West today.
    Met Eireann has put in place a severe weather warning, after a deep depression came in from the Atlantic overnight.
    This region is expected to bear the brunt of the bad weather and Met Eireann is warning of that high winds will lead to some structural damage.
    Forecaster with Met Eireann Deirdre Lowe says we can expect winds of up to 140 kilometres per hour.

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/11/11/met-eireann-warns-of-severe-weather-conditions/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

snaps wrote: »

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=3&soort=satradar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

John2009 wrote: »
    +1

Very windy and extremely so in squally showers(outside galway city). Will try and set up video camera when I find that damn charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Wind picking up in Cork alright. Gusts of 72km/h according to METAR reports from Cork airport. This is a very handy app for downloading METAR reports if anyone is interested. The met.ie seems to be a bit behind it for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5JHFTF2SE

not great quality , took it about 2 hours ago,calm by mayo standards, winds have got considerably worse now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

11am

Mace head 50 gust 64 kts
    Belmullet 34 gust 62 kts
    Sherkin Island 34 gust 54 kts
    Valentia 29 gust 54 kts
    Malin Head 28 gust 38 kts

Airports

Donegal 35 gust 50 kts
    Sligo 22 gust 33 kts
    Shannon 31 gust 44 kts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

John2009 wrote: »
    what you really mean is, i'm pissed off you live up the north

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gale howing here in West Cork.. things are flying out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

11am reports, highest gust was 64KT in Mace with the Mullet at 62 and Valentia at 54 and Malin underperforming at 38 . Mace has produced most of the highests hourly gusts this morning.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

So sustained storm force at Mace Head already then.

Seems a bit earlier/stronger than expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    11am reports, highest gust was 64KT in Mace with the Mullet at 62 and Valentia at 54 and Malin underperforming at 38 . Mace has produced most of the highests hourly gusts this morning.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

And mace heads average windspeed is 50 knots too. That alot higher than anywhere else. It must be very exposed there. I think its beside a lighthouse?

Still another 4 hours or so before this is forecast to peak in the west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Met only really warns of severe weather in Dublin which is why they said the storm would start at 12 ....6 hours after it was already a storm in Mace and Belmullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

snaps wrote: »

Well maybe not lots but more lightning showing up should I said:pac:
    http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=lightning

Mace Head live wind speed (roughly double the m/s to get knots)

metspedmwebsml.png

From here

And mace heads average windspeed is 50 knots too. That alot higher than anywhere else. It must be very exposed there. I think its beside a lighthouse?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&biw=1024&bih=582&q=mace%20head&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

starting to get some severe gusts here:( i hope i still have a roof by evening:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

geting rough up here now, water coming through office windows - nice

And mace heads average windspeed is 50 knots too. That alot higher than anywhere else. It must be very exposed there.

Sure is!!!

134488.PNG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind picking up in the last few minutes here, Average 18km/h gusts 39km/h. Small i know but getting there;)

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm sitting in my pj's waiting for the "wind storm" - but like Sunday night nothing at all I'm in Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Definite pick up in wind here, but still nothing like Sunday night (yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

heres what going on in my back garden,:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k0BI9mc7mw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement