Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Somehow i don't think the winds are going to be that terribly strong in the south/south east are they? Well nowhere near as strong as the north/north west i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I just called my bin collectors office and they said the roof just blew off the building so no one is there.

Where??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

leahyl wrote: »
    Somehow i don't think the winds are going to be that terribly strong in the south/south east are they? Well nowhere near as strong as the north/north west i mean

No they won't be, But they'll be strong enough still. There's nothing calm about an 70mph gust :)

baraca wrote: »
    No they won't be, But they'll be strong enough still. There's nothing calm about an 70mph gust :)

eeek:eek:!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not as strong but still strong all the same especially mid afternoon to about midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

yep DE thats exactly what i was going to guess at about 50-60mph and sustained winds about 45mph, the gusts are getting stronger about every 20 minutes, its a bit nerve racking if this thing is going to get stronger..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I'm afraid so Leahy. It probably won't get much more windy than it already is where you are but you never know when you might get a surprise gust or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

went to the shop half an hour ago. came back to see this:eek:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134501&stc=1&d=1289479400

Galway

I'm afraid so Leahy. It probably won't get much more windy than it already is where you are but you never know when you might get a surprise gust or two.

well that's actually ok for the afternoon/evening cos i have to drive home from work for the first time on my own this evening so i'd be pretty freaked if the winds were any stronger than they are now!. But they can go ahead and do what they like once i'm home:D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Wind strong here now near Bantry..defo stronger at the moment then it was at any stage on sunday or sunday night. we are getting frequent heavy rain showers aswell.

• Advertisement

The biggest gusts down there will be in the showers as everywhere else,it's just that in the north and NW,the winds will be more sustained and gusty as there will be more showers/prolonged rain and even big gusts between showers.
    Here in south wicklow,gusts in the showers are already above 40mph at ground level and it's fairly howly and we have a mountain range to shelter us.

lisao80 wrote: »
    Wind strong here now near Bantry..defo stronger at the moment then it was at any stage on sunday or sunday night. we are getting frequent heavy rain showers aswell.

looks like it's headed toward the city then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

went to the shop half an hour ago. came back to see this:eek:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134501&stc=1&d=1289479400

Nah. That was just a couple of scumbags passing through.:D

The biggest gusts down there will be in the showers as everywhere else,it's just that in the north and NW,the winds will be more sustained and gusty as there will be more showers/prolonged rain and even big gusts between showers.
    Here in south wicklow,gusts in the showers are already above 40mph at ground level and it's fairly howly and we have a mountain range to shelter us.

wow sounds like a great day to be in by the fire looking out at the crazy weather outside!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

11.5m wave heights at buoy 62105, just to the northwest of Belmullet. Wind 34 gusting 56 knots
    http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&zona=eur0&base=single&proy=orto&ano=2010&mes=11&day=11&hora=12&vwi=Wi&vpr=Pr&Send=send

Dutchy wrote: »
    Shaping up to be a lovely afternoon in Dublin city. Thinking of hitting the beach.

It sure is. I was thinking of popping out to Skerries for an icecream and some rays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gusts of between 50-70km/h in Galway City now with plenty of small debris flying around. Pressure 974.1hPa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Everyone in here seems to be excited by the prospect of prolonged strong gusts. Is anyone not concerned of the damage that this will do? I'm hoping my roof doesn't blow off! :eek:

Great thread btw - and some fantastic pics too!

(Don't want to spoil all the fun :D)

No change in latest Met Eireann forecast :

Thursday, 11 November 2010 11:06 Today

Extremely windy or stormy today with gusts of 100 to 140 km/hr. The most severe winds in exposed parts of Ulster and Connacht. Widespread heavy and thundery showers with the risk of hail. The showers will merge into longer spells of rain in the North. The top temperatures will be between 9 and 12 degrees.

The west gets everything.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

whats 50-70km on beaufort scale anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

its gotten scary here in the past 30 minutes, gusts so strong blowing doors open in house and the attic door is banging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fionagus wrote: »
    Gusts of between 50-70km/h in Galway City now with plenty of small debris flying around. Pressure 974.1hPa

Inland, mean windspeed is dropping down to 25mph with gusts struggling to get beyond 40mph over the last 5 mins or so.

nifheorais wrote: »
    whats 50-70km on beaufort scale anyone?

7/8, but that would be sustained speeds, not just gusts.

snaps wrote: »
    its gotten scary here in the past 30 minutes, gusts so strong blowing doors open in house and the attic door is banging.

You don't have double glazing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Su Campu wrote: »
    11.5m wave heights at buoy 62105, just to the northwest of Belmullet. Wind 34 gusting 56 knots
    http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&zona=eur0&base=single&proy=orto&ano=2010&mes=11&day=11&hora=12&vwi=Wi&vpr=Pr&Send=send

Will get some pictures when we arrive there .. Just finishing some lunch first! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 1800 shows the low centre of 953hPa located near the Isle of Skye, with the back-bent occlusion lying west-east, just to the north of Malin Head. They have occasional thunderstorms associated weather with this front and affecting the northern parts of Donegal, Derry and Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

it aint dropping here getting worse if anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Fionagus wrote: »

Are you sure seems a lot worse 50-70km/hr is not that much I think do u mean mph:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Will get some pictures when we arrive there .. Just finishing some lunch first! :)
    A picture of your sandwich??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement