Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Winger_PL wrote: »
    I thought you were travelling to Ennis?

I told the oul father the expected wind speeds and he was like....." ehhhh no thanks" ha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

anim_2702c676-040e-8164-1d30-e2e848bf8b13.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I told the oul father the expected wind speeds and he was like....." ehhhh no thanks" ha

Ah then you're welcome to join me, in the next 3 hours I will know whether I'm going. That would leave 2 seats available for any other takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sea area forecast updated

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Outlook for a further 24 hours until 1200 Friday 12 November 2010: Strong gale or storm force winds with violet gusts and possibly violet storm force 11 on the northwest coast will moderate later Thursday night and during Friday. Squally heavy showers becoming scattered later.

:)
    [/FONT]

Edit: the spelling mistake is by Met.ie not me.... wonder what violet gusts are like

eskimocat wrote: »
    Burtonport is roughly on the line above Irish, can't tell what the pressure is or what its likely to mean. Help please,:D pretty please :D

I think it says 964 where that red dot is. in these storms usually the places to be if you want to experience the highest gusts, aside from mountain tops, are Malin Head and Belmullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I am so excited, I love to see good activity on these threads. Extreme weather is really something! :D:D:D:D:D

Would so love to be in my car "chasing" lol but sadly cant drive with bad back!! Hoping Mum will come rescue me and bring me storm wards. :p

Edit: Mum going to save the day!! yahooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

For anyone thinking of driving out to exposed areas please remember to think of safety first and roads in places may be blocked with fallen branches/trees.

Also, the storm could still turn out to be less intense than forecast or the track could shift meaning some areas might not see high winds at all.

eskimocat wrote: »
    I am so excited, I love to see good activity on these threads. Extreme weather is really something! :D:D:D:D:D

It sure is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

For anyone thinking of driving out to exposed areas please remember to think of safety first and roads in places may be blocked with fallen branches/trees.

Also, the storm could still turn out to be less intense than forecast or the track could shift meaning some areas might not see high winds at all.

Obviously, safety first, that's the rule #1 on board my TIV :D
    Should have plenty of time to roam around the northwest coast if it doesn't pan out around Belmullet (although I think it will be worth the trip).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Thanks for that
    Malin head got up to 125mph winds that day.

Doubt well beat that storm. :)
    Met eireann indeed upgraded it to 140km per hour which is roughly 87 miles per hour, although a few on boards here think it may get up to 100 mph which is 160kmph.

Malinbeg would be a great place to see the storm if you where brave enough to go there , most westerly point in Donegal , anywhere along the Donegal bay is usually very bad for bad storms though.

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks for that

Met eireann indeed upgraded it to 140km per hour which is roughly 87 miles per hour, although a few on boards here think it may get up to 100 mph which is 160kmph.

Yeah at the moment anyway this isn't looking as bad at that storm. It's looking very windy tomorrow and stormy in places with damaging gusts but this is by no means a 'storm of the century'.

There will probably be some last minute downgrade anyway :P

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks for that

i remember walking to the pub that night negotiating downed telephone poles and branches that were strewn everywhere. we then had to sit in the pub all night by candlelight. good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Quite low key on the rte/met weather news

i remember walking to the pub that night negotiating downed telephone poles and branches that were strewn everywhere. we then had to sit in the pub all night by candlelight. good times!

My my how your age is showing :pac: :P
    I wasnt old enough to drink in the pub in 98 im afraid, although on a few occasions I have been in a pub when the electricity goes out, its very nice having a few beers with candlelight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

oterra wrote: »
    Quite low key on the rte/met weather news

Missed it but that is how they do it for bad storms.

That is how they did the Christmas eve storm.

Min wrote: »

I remember that storm came as a complete surprise to me. I hadn't heard the forecast and as far as I know there was no media hype. I noticed the wind picking up outside...then it started to really pick up and a few mins later the power went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is it just high winds or are they going to be accompanied by heavy rain?

Btw I passed my driving test today! Just thought I'd share that information!

leahyl wrote: »

Congrats! There will be rain but no mention of flooding from Met Eireann.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »

congratulations on passing your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Congrats! There will be rain but no mention of flooding from Met Eireann.

Thanks - i think the rain really adds to a storm!

yes. there seems to be a theme in this country that the most interesting weather often has a tendency to creep up on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I remember that storm came as a complete surprise to me. I hadn't heard the forecast and as far as I know there was no media hype. I noticed the wind picking up outside...then it started to really pick up and a few mins later the power went.

I remember a few days before it they were giving a storm, but then they downgraded and nothing, I remember listening to the news on the radio at 4pm the day of the storm and they were saying slates were falling onto the streets in Cork due to high winds.
    One hour later we knew all about it...I was taken aback by the sheer power of it, though my father says the storm of 1974 was worse.

One hour later we knew all about it...I was taken aback by the sheer power of it, though my father says the storm of 1974 was worse.

From Wikipedia :

January 11-January 12, 1974

Record winds, sometimes of hurricane force, recorded in many parts of Ireland. The strongest ever sea level gust in Ireland, at exactly 200 km/h, was recorded in Kilkeel, County Down. Many trees and buildings were damaged and 150,000 homes were left without electricity.

Chart for that storm :

archives-1974-1-12-0-0.png

Apparently force 12 winds were recorded in many parts of Ireland during that storm. "The strongest ever sea level gust in Ireland, at exactly 200 km/h, was recorded in Kilkeel, County Down. Many trees and buildings were damaged and 150,000 homes were left without electricity"

From Wikipedia :

Record winds, sometimes of hurricane force, recorded in many parts of Ireland. The strongest ever sea level gust in Ireland, at exactly 200 km/h, was recorded in Kilkeel, County Down. Many trees and buildings were damaged and 150,000 homes were left without electricity.

Chart for that storm :

you beat me to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Shannon radar down at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

From Wikipedia :

Chart for that storm :

The pressure on that dosnt look bad or did deepen way more it must have?

• Advertisement

The lads on NW are saying the storm is tracking a bit further south than the models show.

Here is a link to an hourly updated chart based on actual obervations to compare against the models :

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?date=2010111013&lang=en&map=AtlN

Worth keeping an eye on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement