Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think that is a good point Nacho. A relatively long storm system but Belmullet has yet to beat its jan 2009 record of 96knots. I think Claremorris might have beaten its jan 09 record though by a few knots but haven't looked at the records.

!

110 mph!. It' terrible, but I can't recall that at all. I wonder what the pressure reading for the depression that caused it was? Also what was its track?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Left work at EIDW and decided to drive around the airfield on the way home,fecking huge gusts blowing across it. Ditto much of the M50,my motorbike was all over the road!!

Still blowing hard out there at the moment with sporadic showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

pebbles21 wrote: »
    :mad:

Fired !! for being asleep on the job ! :D

Edit - what happened to the quote ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Dublin 15 here and things are getting a bit hairy out there now. The windows in my apartment are whistling away and the door is rattling away too. Crossing the bridge over the N3 as a pedestrian was interesting to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Winds picking up more here in Maynooth as well.

Will tomorrow morning's ferry crossings to Britain be cancelled??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

kyub wrote: »
    Dublin 15 here and things are getting a bit hairy out there now. The windows in my apartment are whistling away and the door is rattling away too. Crossing the bridge over the N3 as a pedestrian was interesting to say the least!

Just see the latest report from Dublin Airport, a Mean of 57km/h, Max gust 87km/h :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Power going on and off in East Clare, periods of calm then big gusts. Rain has eased though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

110 mph!. It' terrible, but I can't recall that at all. I wonder what the pressure reading for the depression that caused it was? Also what was its track?

It is documented in the met eireann jan 2009 bulletin:
    http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-bulletin-2009.asp

Grab:

134531.jpg

A nice sat pic as well in the jan 09 bulletin of the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Not wrote: »
    what happened to the quote ??

I was speechless!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'd love to know how the Irish sea is, anyone noticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

pebbles21 wrote: »
    I was speechless!:D

As quoted, your speechlessness was lacking imagery :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Non event down here. Last night was far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Calmed down here in the past while but still sustained winds of 80kph and gusts of up to 125kph according to Met Eireann. Rain has finally become lighter thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

thomasj wrote: »
    I'd love to know how the Irish sea is, anyone noticed?

Cold and wet? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Winds and pressure at 1800, showing the low centre just to the east of Uist Range, in the Hebrides, which is reporting 952.7hPa. Wave heights down to 9.5m at buoy 62105, from its earlier 12.4m!

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&zona=eur0&base=single&proy=orto&ano=2010&mes=11&day=11&hora=18&vwi=Wi&vpr=Pr&Send=send

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

mike65 wrote: »
    Non event down here. Last night was far worse.

The rain made last night feel worse but the wind has been stronger today according to the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

fierce windy here all day with the odd heavy shower. few branches down. HOWEVER, the level of water in all toilet has dropped and there is no blockage:confused: anyone experience similar today im wondering if its the winds

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I'd hate to be on an Aer Arann flight with this wind! mind you a lot of them are probably cancelled! getting a lot worse here now in Enfield too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is documented in the met eireann jan 2009 bulletin:
    http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-bulletin-2009.asp

Grab:

134531.jpg

A nice sat pic as well in the jan 09 bulletin of the storm.

Thanks paddy1:)

It's still very gusty here by the way. This storm isn't keen to let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must say I thought it would be a lot worse for the Northwest.
    When the reporter on rte news was asked was there much damage in Galway he kinda said erm eh 'not really'. In other words a violent storm with little damage, whereas in reality the winds weren't excessive.
    I think it's a draw between whether 'we' or the 'met' called it right.
    We were pbly ott and the Met were too conservative

I'm surprsied though because the gradient looks really tight, maybe it's the fact that the rain had passed thru and were relying on gusty showers.
    So in summary of course a stormy day, just nothing exceptional!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

km79 wrote: »
    HOWEVER, the level of water in all toilet has dropped and there is no blockage
    ]

RUN... TSUNAMI.... don't look back.

Had wild wind earlier in Kilkenny but not constantly. We even had lots of blue sky at times. There is a tree down in my neighbours garden - not a huge one but big enough. Lots of debris on the streets where there are trees lining the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

North Dublin weather is very odd 2 or 3 huge gusts then nothing for a few mins then more huge gusts!!!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

km79 wrote: »
    fierce windy here all day with the odd heavy shower. few branches down. HOWEVER, the level of water in all toilet has dropped and there is no blockage:confused: anyone experience similar today im wondering if its the winds

What were you eating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I must say I thought it would be a lot worse for the Northwest.
    When the reporter on rte news was asked was there much damage in Galway he kinda said erm eh 'not really'. In other words a violent storm with little damage, whereas in reality the winds weren't excessive.
    I think it's a draw between whether 'we' or the 'met' called it right.
    We were pbly ott and the Met were too conservative

I'm surprsied though because the gradient looks really tight, maybe it's the fact that the rain had passed thru and were relying on gusty showers.
    So in summary of course a stormy day, just nothing exceptional!

What were you expecting it to be like? We've had winds above 80kph and gusts above 100kph all day and its still going yet. There was also about 6 hours of torrential rain which has caused a lot of flooding

Thats basically what was predicted..

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    North Dublin weather is very odd 2 or 3 huge gusts then nothing for a few mins then more huge gusts!!!
    :eek:

I concur - one minute I can't hear Claudia on the telly, the next you could hear a pin drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Any idea if this will clear before tomorrow mornings ferry crossings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

efla wrote: »
    Any idea if this will clear before tomorrow mornings ferry crossings?
    +1 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Ah it'll be grand lads. Get the surfboards out! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

cian1500ww wrote: »
    +1 :confused:

I'm on Irish Ferries at 8am :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement