Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    5167601840_33f2c2b174_b.jpg
    Credit to NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland.
    Link: http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

Beautiful image Mayo Exile!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Very blowy but not as windy as it sounds when you're in the house - i've seen a lot worse! good fun though!

Now my pretties, come to mama!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Starting to quieten down at the mouth of cork harbour. Max wind at marathon today 96kph gust 131kph. I have to get up on the roof tomorrow!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

Still nothing much happening here (near Drogheda). A bit windy but nothing abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Some decent gusts here in Stepaside - the mountains are howling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

I have a hankering for Peanut M n M's so will take a walk round the shop and report back on my return. If I'm not back in 10mins - call out the coastguard :p

you're nuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Still getting some strong wind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

wind is dieing down here now think the worst has passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still pretty bad here, crazy whenever theres a shower, theyre still torrential and the wind really picks up every time we have one

Didnt expect it to last this long at all, I've seen worse back at home on the west coast but this is easily the worst storm in the past 3 years since I've been living in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Blustry evening. Lovely crescent moon, occasional showers here in West Limerick.

Looking forward to the next wind event already ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Dont care what RTE news says , winds have not eased here in Donegal, Still as bad as ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Well I got no strong winds down here at all from this one. I wasnt expecting any but a surprise severe gust would have been nice...

But its only early november yet, so hopefully we will get another windstorm, tracking further south, something like 1997. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I tink I gone done and OD'd on the nutty chocolatey treats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Dublin once again is an island of calm..relatively speaking:(
    Its being breezy all day some gusts, but apart from scattering the fallen leaves not too much happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

wind is dieing down here now think the worst has passed

Are you sure? Models dont show the winds easing much around there till after 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

But its only early november yet, so hopefully we will get another windstorm, tracking further south, something like 1997. :D

Ohh, that'd be brilliant :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

hopefully we will get another windstorm, tracking further south, something like 1997. :D

what happened in 97?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Just in from putting the outside dog to bed...bless her :D

Wind is still strong, but not as strong. More consistent 'blow' though, and seems less gusty...'roaring' as loudly as ever.

Lights flickering since 8am this morning, but power hasn't once truly gone.

2 trees down today, expected more....perhaps the others will come down during the next storm event instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Thought the woman on the news going swimming out salthill was bad until I saw two people on the roof of a house down the Galway docks when the storm was at it's worst really unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

ok i spoke to soon.
    wind back up, and now have driving rain:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

started to die down in the past hour.

7-8pm was when the winds peaked here.

PS... thanks to some of you who contributed to the storm live blog and gallery today.

The Weather Channel just tweeted my website. Must be a slow news day
    http://twitter.com/#!/wxchannel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind has gone up here again, Mean 22km/h, Gust 47km/h

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

After a very stormy day in Castlebar,it is easing off now.No power gone but i noticed plenty of ESB vans/trucks heading out the Ballinrobe road around 6pm.Some thunder in the showers too,espically around 1pm.A fairly big tree was blocking station road in Foxford earlier,dirversions etc in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

km79 wrote: »
    fierce windy here all day with the odd heavy shower. few branches down. HOWEVER, the level of water in all toilet has dropped and there is no blockage:confused: anyone experience similar today im wondering if its the winds

I don't know if anyone answered your query but a quick google came up with this.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/why-does-water-toilet-drain-move-around-during-wind-storm-443638.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

was it bout st.stephens in 1998 day we had a big storm? remember goin to a friends house on me little honda 100 m-bike:rolleyes: `ah d memories`. his house is about 150metres up a lane and i got there & parked bike in the shed & only in the house 2mins when his brother noticed a big ash tree lyin accross the road beside the lane. 5 mins earlier then me & me honda 100:rolleyes: would av been pancaked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Its still blowing smoke up here in north west Donegal! :D Still some strong gusts here, and driving rain.

Must say I enjoyed my day although I was confined to the house somewhat. I believe that about 5 miles up the road, they experienced the worst weather in years and years:rolleyes: so near and yet so far!!

Maybe next time I won't be stuck at home with bad back and can join the "Boards storm chasers" :D Cheers lads, hope you made it home safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

lolie wrote: »
    was it bout st.stephens in 1998 day we had a big storm? remember goin to a friends house on me little honda 100 m-bike:rolleyes: `ah d memories`. his house is about 150metres up a lane and i got there & parked bike in the shed & only in the house 2mins when his brother noticed a big ash tree lyin accross the road beside the lane. 5 mins earlier then me & me honda 100:rolleyes: would av been pancaked

i think it was xmas eve 1996. Electricity went all over clare. I remember sitting in pub (oh and Mass) in candlelight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Was it not '97? No leccy for christmas day and it took 8 hrs to get from Dublin to Limbo on a bus on Christmas eve.

My garage doors (wooden) came off earlier with the wind. Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hey does anyone know if the boys (storm chasers) made it home??? Is there postings from them? (had a look but might have missed it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Tactical wrote: »
    Blustry evening. Lovely crescent moon, occasional showers here in West Limerick.

Looking forward to the next wind event already ;)

i know what you mean. once you get a taste of it you want more- i finally understand how Gollum must have felt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement