Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

It was Xmas Eve 97, an amazing storm for the south.

Definately 1997. N7 southbound was closed just past Blackchurch by a fallen tree. I drove Naas - Bray - Naas on Xmas Eve. Hit the pub and then did Naas - Bray - Naas on Xmas Day. Awesome weather.

As for today. Its over. Go home. Pitiful, unless you were on the west coast north of Galway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

still fairly wind, but obviously nothing like what it was earlier on this evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Final post of the day, really enjoyed hearing everyones experiences of the storm,especially big thanks to all the experts who contributed so much over the last few days. Its a great little community we have here. So on to the next event whatever it is ;) For the record, highest mean speed was 26km/h and max gust 48km/h. Currently mean 13km/h gust 19km/h.

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Drive through a couple of puddles ( in Kildare not Achill) at high speed tomorrow and that will sort the underneath out with a freshwater high pressure spray.

If you follow that advice be damn careful...I hit a huge puddle at ~85-90km/h on the R132 not so long ago, very hard to see in the dark. Managed to get on the brakes 50m or so in advance but damn near flew sideways off the road and would have taken another car with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Think Il call it a night, thats if i can get to sleep, its very noisy outside!
    The storm is still going strong here , very violent.Well over 12 hours of no let up.
    Good night all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Home Sweet homes!
    HOt shower and a big cup of tea!, noting better after a wild day!
    Couldnt have had a better first storm chase! , it was amazing!
    As Winger_PL said , we where up on Menawn mountain for quite some time listening to the wind roaring by... the only way i can describe it is that if u had 4 old kettles on the stove all whistling away at once!, we uploaded those pictures then got back out to even stronger gust, i messed about by "attempting" a run and jump , i didnt suceed much in the jump , nor did i suceed much in stopping when i wanted to!

So we got back into the car hardly able to breath as to how fast the wind was hitting us. We went SLOWLY back down to the beach again and it seemed to get as bad as up on the mountain, spray from the waves hitting the cliffs 100m away came flying at us.
    It was a STRUGGLE to open the doors facing the winds....
    Another thing which im gonna try figure out is a wind speed problem, as Ark (Winger_pl) will agree, he had his clouch down and the wind was moving the car up to 10kph on level ground!, so with the weight of the car , i mite be able to estimate a windspeed ( not 2day tough, my brain is tired! ).

As to pictures and footage ill also be goin through mine 2moro , hopefully making a youtube slideshow to make it easier for everyone to watch.
    Put personally i dont think our footage does this storm Justice, you'd hav to of been there! And of which i wish u's all wer!
    Thanks Ark for the invite to such a great and memorial chase!
    And thanks also to those who where looking out for us! , i even said on the drive bac " i wonder if anyone was asking where we home yet?"! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    Think Il call it a night, thats if i can get to sleep, its very noisy outside!
    The storm is still going strong here , very violent.Well over 12 hours of no let up.
    Good night all.

+1 been a long day. Have o be up at 7am and then at first light I imagine I will have a lot of tidying to do around the grounds and all this before excel spreadsheets take over my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I had just turned 6 in 1997, and that Christmas, I was heading with my family to pick up a set of telly tubby dolls I had won from east coast FM. Just as the Santa on the radio said hello to me, a massive pine fell over on the road behind us, when we were heading back towards Wicklow. My first really clear memory of a big storm, and I have loved them ever since. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Here's the first short video from our trip, remember that it was a near-impossible task to hold the camera in place so apologies for the lack of stability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfy08J0GFE&hd=1

More short videos uploading now, will post links probably in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

by the way, that 'potential' storm for midweek next week looks like dissipating before it reaches our shores, according to latest GFS. Rain will be the only problem it will present to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Jaysus - The winds have turned storm force on east coast NI. Big rumble of thunder and few flashes of lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

So as the dust settles (somewhere else miles away!), how did the TAFs do? They seemed on the low side, and MT said they were "mighty conservative".....so let's compare the forecast max winds to those in the TAFs.

This page shows all the half-hourly reports for all the international airports on the island of Ireland, plus all the TAFs issued.

First of all, TAFs (Terminal Area Forecasts) are forecasts valid only for an area within a radius of 5 nautical miles of an airport, and that is all the forecaster is interested in. There may be much stronger winds 15 miles down the road, but that cannot be included when evaluating the forecasts as it is outside the forecast's area of validity.

It's fairly safe to say that, overall, the forecasters were pretty bang on with their forecasts, apart from maybe Connaught Airport, where there was an isolated 62kt gust at 1300, where 50kts was the max forecast. Looking at all the METARs, they all came out right on the money, apart from just one or two isolated reports that went a few knots over on the gusts (Dublin 1500 and 2000 and Shannon at 1200 -1300).

For the Regional Airports (not included), Met Eireann were similarly on the mark, apart from Donegal Airport, that went a couple of knots over on the gusts at one stage.

Overall I'd give the Met Eireann and UKMET aviation forecasters a score of 8½/10 on today's performance. Most people (myself included) thought they were aiming on the low side, but when all is said and done, they were right to. John Eagleton was interviewd on RTE 1 radio at around 1830 this evening, and explained that this storm was notable for its low gust ratio - around 20-30%, as opposed to others, where it can be over 50%. That would appear to have been the general thinking amongst the forecasters in the last day or two, and taking both the aviation and general forecasts (gusts from 120-140kmph) into consideration, they were bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still going strong here as well, nothing on earlier on but its still extremely noisy outside with some really strong gusts and heavy rain.

Round the back of the house is all flooded and absolutely covered in leaves, up to ankle depth in places!

Seems like most of the country outside of the west and north west didnt get much but that was the strongest storm we've had in quite a few years. Well over 12 hours of sustained strong winds and heavy rain with some thunder and lightning, I'll gladly take a few weeks of boring weather over that again, cost me a fortune in taxi's all day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Last hour here, Mean 29km/h and Gusts of up to 60km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

ASCAT winds measured at 21:33, showing winds over 40kts off the east coast.

WMBas132.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Absolutely pissing it down now. Rain is coming down the chimney and the wind is howling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

really enjoyed following every1s posts on the storm,big thanks to the experts(you know who you are) who IMO nailed Carmen bang on,any way heres to the next one or will it be back on the winter FI forum,lets hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Calming down in Clare now anyway.

Spam link above. Do not click

Edit. Gone now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

irish1967 wrote: »
    Spam link above. Do not click

Good job i was working my way back through the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This turned out to be the best I got yesterday. Approx 23kts and it was looking good. This was at 11.00am yesterday [11th], that was the peak of my Carmen.! Next time I guess. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thanks everyone for the great vids/pic/reports, great coverage from boards.ie :D

tWas an excellent day. Unlike many event threads I think everybody got something.
    Was a bit disappointed when I came on this morning and didn't see a thread started for the next one. :(
    Just sent the last hour clearing branches and rubble from the garden.
    Can't wait to see some more of the storm chasers pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

irish1967 wrote: »
    tWas an excellent day. Unlike many event threads I think everybody got something.
    Was a bit disappointed when I came on this morning and didn't see a thread started for the next one. :(
    Just sent the last hour clearing branches and rubble from the garden.
    Can't wait to see some more of the storm chasers pics.

I got nothing apart from a bit of a breeze! :p I'm already looking for the next one. Nothing really promising at the moment. The only half interesting thing is something the UKMO and NOGAPS models have around 120 hours but its hardly what you'd call a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I got nothing apart from a bit of a breeze! :p I'm already looking for the next one. Nothing really promising at the moment. The only half interesting thing is something the UKMO and NOGAPS models have around 120 hours but its hardly what you'd call a storm.

I hope that Twix wrapper didn't do any damage. :D

Hopefully you'll get some of the action next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Upon inspection of the grounds I see a fourth tree has fallen over here.
    I will have to do a lot of chopping one of these days

Was it one of your favourites ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Probably been posted already by others (haven't time to look through thread) but there was no storm down here yesterday. Not sure it rained all day and was just a bit breezy. Maybe not even one of the 3 windiest days of the year.

Its mad the diversity of weather you can get on a small Island. That said, I suppose we are as near to Brittany down here as we are to Malin head. We are very European and cosmopolitan like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Hi all

I compiled all the videos online of yesterday's storm here:
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/11/video-storm-hits-ireland-11-november.html

Here is one of the vids showing the system in motion.

Wolfe

PS....Received the below email from The Weather Channel just now who want to show some of the pics from boardsies (all gave permission their pics to be included on irishweatheronline). winger and iancar's raod trip is just about to go international.

Good Morning,

My name is Chad Burke I’m an Assignment Editor with The Weather Channel in the United States. I am contacting you to request permission to use

The pictures included in the link below for our air this morning. Please respond to this email or feel free to call me at the number below.

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/11/storm-gallery-ireland-11-november-2010.html

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Chad Burke

Assignment Editor

The Weather Channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

gbee wrote: »
    Yup, it shut down my Santa early.

Douglas Court SC: Was doing the photos and went to lunch when the wind came up, I went back to the hut to see the roof gone over it, had to evacuate Santa and close it down.

His hut was a sorry site after a short while and the adventure continued afterwords as I had to take one of Santa's helpers home. Roads blocked everywhere, went up one avenue lined with trees and got my charge home safe.

Went looking at the damage the next morning in daylight and that avenue we had gone up had every tree from each side knocked down over each other, like the winds blew one way, did a 180 and knocked the others on top.

Scary.

I was working in Douglas Court that day too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement