Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

rhonin wrote: »
    Brilliant :D Nearly choked on my lunch though!
    jesus for a minute there i thought it was real:D:D.going ta take down the rest of that fence and build a wall in its place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Hi All,

Sorry for the late response to this thread.

Busy with work yesterday, then the power went out, which didn't help me reporting here, but all is now restored. :pac:

The peak gust recorded here (outside Enniskillen) was 70 mph between the hour of 18.00 and 19.00. It was probably this gust which cut the power, as it went off about 18.40 or so.

The average wind speed was about 32mph in total, with gusts ranging from 54mph - 63mph.

From 11pm or so it tailed off rapidly, with just the odd gust to speak of. The peak was in the hour of 18.00, with it slowly tailing off until 00:00 when it literally went silent!!

No real damage to speak of here, a number of branches down, and plenty of leaves scattered around the place, plenty of water on the roads with localised flooding in places.

All in all, not bad, and many thanks to all of you who let us know about the event, where was going to be badly effected etc; not to mention all the reports from everyone, it makes these events all the more interesting with fellow posters reporting of conditions where they are.

Just had a squally heavy hail shower which lasted the guts of a minute, now its moved off...any chance of some thunderstorms today!? I can dream.........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=39682&start=1

it will be interesting to see if his forecast for Christmas Day is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

32 (11 members & 21 guests) Moderators : 2

nacho libre, Fionagus, weisses, eskimocat, Winger_PL, snowjon, kstand, maquiladora, WolfeIRE+, redsunset, carlmwan

the calm after the storm. everything is back to normal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

nacho libre, Fionagus, weisses, eskimocat, Winger_PL, snowjon, kstand, maquiladora, WolfeIRE+, redsunset, carlmwan

Until the potential snow charts appear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yep. I really hope it's not another year or two before the next proper windstorm. Hope we get another this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

and me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

And me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've more or less recovered from my sleep deficit now (for my time zone, being on hand to read the accounts meant being up most of the night). Thanks to all of you in the storm zone for taking so much time to keep the rest of us fully informed. As I consider these threads to be extensions of the daily forecast thread (and send readers along to get more information), I also want to thank those of the regulars who took time to add a lot of very good and informative content. This forum is now working with a very good spirit, I think, and providing people with a great resource for getting more detailed information. I don't consider it a competition with Met Eireann who seem to have had a perfectly sound forecast in place, but just a somewhat different approach that brings out some of the potential of the internet to provide information and a place to communicate. If there's ever something like the great storm of 1839 again, the internet will definitely save lives and even some property, because there are things people can do to prepare for destructive weather events and ways to reduce the inevitable damage.

For example, there are things you don't necessarily think about despite any amount of training or experience. From my distant vantage point, I would not have thought about that factor of numerous trampolines going AWOL from gardens (dare I say back yards) and flying out into the highways and byways. Yet all of that could have been prevented, trampolines can be weighted down or moved to safety. So little things like that can add up, I suppose, to a fairly major improvement. Whenever I see a picture of a parked car crushed by a tree in a windstorm, I figure, there's a case where somebody might have anticipated that impact, I mean the tree is only going to fall in one direction more than likely, and that direction is pretty much predictable.

Anyway, we never really know how much good we might do with these forecast threads, since nobody ever reports damage averted or trips cancelled and therefore no exposure to possible harm. Yet we know from the statistics that storm deaths continue to fall in relation to impact on population as time goes on, and weather forecasting (and their communication to the public) improves. For example, U.S. tornado deaths have probably fallen to about 5-10 per cent of what they would be nowadays if we lived in the social conditions of the 19th century. The same could be said about hurricanes despite the tragic aftermath of Katrina. We had some fierce windstorms here three winters ago, and no deaths or even serious injuries, in part due to some advance warning (and also better house construction than in the past, now if a big tree falls on a house, it tends to dent rather than crush).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Porridgemonster

We sailed from Liverpool to Dublin last night with DFDS and I was surprised it sailed but the Captain assured us that it wouldnt be too bad because we were hitting the strong winds head on ! There were parts of the crossing I thought the ship was going to break up with the heavy bangs it was taking. We got off it in Dublin at about 11am this morning after leaving at approx 1am I think.Force 11 winds he said they were,would that be right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

We sailed from Liverpool to Dublin last night with DFDS and I was surprised it sailed but the Captain assured us that it wouldnt be too bad because we were hitting the strong winds head on ! There were parts of the crossing I thought the ship was going to break up with the heavy bangs it was taking. We got off it in Dublin at about 11am this morning after leaving at approx 1am I think.Force 11 winds he said they were,would that be right ?

Lots of paper bags handed out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Porridgemonster

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Lots of paper bags handed out :D
    Yep,there were loads of them :D Thank God seasickness dosent affect me but my heart goes out to those that suffer especially on a long crossing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Ive been cynical on a few occasions in this long thread. It didn't feel like a real storm here in Kildare. I remember one serious gust around 2pm Thursday. I heard a bang (wheelie bin going over) and the roof above me creaked and groaned. After that I thought nothing off it.

Today a gentleman knocks on the door and proceeds to point out damage to my roof. He was a roofer and a very innovative one at that because he was touring estates checking for damage and offering to fix it. In my case tiles had come off the capping at the very top and just below it. They were sitting periously and waiting to just slide down. During the course of the inspection he demonstrated that a lot of the capping was now loose after the cement had eroded. (have an old house) Hopefully the next storm won't lift them off. Anyway he fixed the tiles for 50 quid but wants 170 to do a more thorough job.

So no more cynicism from me. I had storm damage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Ive been cynical on a few occasions in this long thread. It didn't feel like a real storm here in Kildare. I remember one serious gust around 2pm Thursday. I heard a bang (wheelie bin going over) and the roof above me creaked and groaned. After that I thought nothing off it.

Today a gentleman knocks on the door and proceeds to point out damage to my roof. He was a roofer and a very innovative one at that because he was touring estates checking for damage and offering to fix it. In my case tiles had come off the capping at the very top and just below it. They were sitting periously and waiting to just slide down. During the course of the inspection he demonstrated that a lot of the capping was now loose after the cement had eroded. (have an old house) Hopefully the next storm won't lift them off. Anyway he fixed the tiles for 50 quid but wants 170 to do a more thorough job.

So no more cynicism from me. I had storm damage!
    Do not trust people going around offering to fix sometimes non-existant problems, they are generally no more able to fix it than you are yourself and will often charge exorbitant prices. Better off get someone in to do it if the damage is bad enough!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Do not trust people going around offering to fix sometimes non-existant problems, they are generally no more able to fix it than you are yourself and will often charge exorbitant prices. Better off get someone in to do it if the damage is bad enough!!!

In fairness to him, he was a genuine and local roofing contractor (if somewhat cheeky/innovative) and the damage was very recent. He fixed the immediate stuff and merely pointed out that the capping has come loose over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

DWCommuter wrote: »
    In fairness to him, he was a genuine and local roofing contractor (if somewhat cheeky/innovative) and the damage was very recent. He fixed the immediate stuff and merely pointed out that the capping has come loose over the years.

He sounds all right then! But i have heard of some dodgy ones around . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Canadian model is showing a nasty sequel to Carmen for the West/Northwest on Tuesday :

63wq4n.gif

At the moment though there isn't agreement between the models for this. GFS has it further west and ECM doesnt show anything worth talking about. Worth keeping half an eye on though.

06Z NOGAPS has a similar type of system and track though :

r22tkp.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Maybe time to lock this thread and open a fresh one? We've got to page 78 and the storm is well over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Maybe time to lock this thread and open a fresh one? We've got to page 78 and the storm is well over!!

Thread locked;) If anyone wishes to start a new thread about future weather events feel free to:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement