Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well at this stage all we can do now is wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Great pic of the Storm

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-naturalcolor-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

It seems I will be heading towards the west tomorrow, just got a confirmation I can take a day off (sort of) at work.
    I'll be leaving Dublin area around 9-10am and plan to come back around 7pm depending on how it all pans out. The plan is to get to Achill Island / Belmullet area and take it from there. At this moment I've got 2 seats available so I can pick someone along the way (will be heading to Galway and then towards Castlebar).

Anyone interested?

Its right in the Jet Stream here

anim_5c31be5e-2f95-ec04-993a-501ec9dc0fde.gif

anim_2702c676-040e-8164-1d30-e2e848bf8b13.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

anyone any idea on wind directions in dingle?? ..... lets see if i can save my polytunnel :( :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Question I would like to ask you wind nuts :P

Would the top of a hill/mountain be more stormy than say at sea or lower level nearer to the sea in a storm like tomorrow?
    You know places where you see windmills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Winger_PL wrote: »
    It seems I will be heading towards the west tomorrow, just got a confirmation I can take a day off (sort of) at work.
    I'll be leaving Dublin area around 9-10am and plan to come back around 7pm depending on how it all pans out. The plan is to get to Achill Island / Belmullet area and take it from there. At this moment I've got 2 seats available so I can pick someone along the way (will be heading to Galway and then towards Castlebar).

Anyone interested?

Can you please take loads of pics and post up here if you make it back safely?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

dryan wrote: »
    Can you please take loads of pics and post up here if you make it back safely?;)

Thats gonna be my job :D Batterys in charge! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

These systems spin anti-clockwise am i right? So no matter how much i want to see big waves on wexford quay tomorrow i won't? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The jet seems to be pulling the storm further a wee bit further south, the longer it stays in the jet the better for rc.

• Advertisement

dryan wrote: »

I'll have my laptop with a 3G card as well so we'll try to keep you guys updated!

I'll have my laptop with a 3G card as well so we'll try to keep you guys updated!

What ever you guys do stay safe dont do anything stupid for a picture its not worth it.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What ever you guys do stay safe dont do anything stupid for a picture its not worth it.

I'm married, not allowed to do stupid things anymore, unfortunately :pac:
    My laptop lasts for 2 hours only on batteries so if we suddenly stop posting don't call the Coast Guard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'm married, not allowed to do stupid things anymore, unfortunately :pac:
    My laptop lasts for 2 hours only on batteries so if we suddenly stop posting don't call the Coast Guard!

WE aint no Reed Timmer ha...

Hi nacho libre who names these storms or where can you see the name

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi nacho libre who names these storms or where can you see the name

http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/adopt-a-vortex/tief/#aktuell/

I hate posting the same question twice but i'd really like to know. Am i right in saying these spin anti-clockwise so i won't be seeing any rough seas at wexford quay tomorrow?

Or will i?:pac:

Rapidly deepening Atlantic low moving steadily eastwards, expected just west of Rockall 945 by 0600 tomorrow.

(source)

Now how does that sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

baraca wrote: »
    I hate posting the same question twice but i'd really like to know. Am i right in saying these spin anti-clockwise so i won't be seeing any rough seas at wexford quay tomorrow?

Or will i?:pac:

Thats what the beeb have for Irish Sea:
    Gale warnings - Issued: 0336 UTC Wed 10 Nov

Southerly severe gale force 9 expected later

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1130 UTC Wed 10 Nov

WindNorthwesterly, backing southerly or southwesterly 5 or 6, increasing 7 to severe gale 9, veering westerly or southwesterly later.Sea StateVery rough or high.WeatherShowers, rain for a time.VisibilityModerate or good, occasionally poor.

(source)

Now how does that sound?

5 hpa lower than the 06Z GFS.

I just hope this storm doesn't decide to track 50-100 miles northwards at the last minute, or fill quicker than projected.

Thats what the beeb have for Irish Sea:
    Gale warnings - Issued: 0336 UTC Wed 10 Nov

Southerly severe gale force 9 expected later

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1130 UTC Wed 10 Nov

WindNorthwesterly, backing southerly or southwesterly 5 or 6, increasing 7 to severe gale 9, veering westerly or southwesterly later.Sea StateVery rough or high.WeatherShowers, rain for a time.VisibilityModerate or good, occasionally poor.

Thats only up until noon tomorrow. Will get worse in the Irish Sea later tomorrow evening.

Thanks lads, Suppose i'll head down for a look tomorrow then.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Thats only up until noon tomorrow. Will get worse in the Irish Sea later tomorrow evening.

Cool, how about Waterford, would a trip to Tramore be worth a while?

I just hope this storm doesn't decide to track 50-100 miles northwards at the last minute, or fill quicker than projected.

It's a little deeper than forecast now. Can't quite tell if the track is due north or south of its forecast points. I don't think it's due to start dropping more southwards until around 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

If you had to lay money on it, just how nailed on is this beast - we're under 24 hours out now so are we saying about 75% chance it will come off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

If you had to lay money on it, just how nailed on is this beast - we're under 24 hours out now so are we saying about 75% chance it will come off ?

Latest models will be rolling out in a few minutes, we'll have a better idea then. but 75% wouldn't be far off at the moment (for a decent storm that it, it's definitely gonna be windy!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Rougies wrote: »
    Latest models will be rolling out in a few minutes, we'll have a better idea then. but 75% wouldn't be far off at the moment (for a decent storm that it, it's definitely gonna be windy!).

i'd back that horse ! going to wait for the models to cheer my afternoon right up :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement