Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    Met eireann seems to have pressed delete on the wind speeds for tomorrows forecast on the website , its still in the warning section though.

Do you think the car park at the Tara Hotel killybegs would be safe to park in tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I've a feeling this could nudge further South yet which would make the Galway - Dublin region particularly severe. Also bear in mind blustery showers can crop up anywhere, and the strongest gust will likely be in the heaviest showers.
    I seem to remember the Christmas Eve Storm was also a fairly dry affair.
    I expect a big one!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Met eireann seems to have pressed delete on the wind speeds for tomorrows forecast on the website , its still in the warning section though.

They really are not making a big deal about this, but for me i trust what i see on the charts and the views of the many experts in here. As others have said, the biggest storms or events are the ones that are not hyped up, they happen when least expected ( to the general public). So be careful and don't take this storm lightly as it will be a biggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Six one weather should be on in a couple of minutes. Will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

looking like i may need a new shed after this.

not good at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Good girl Siobhan!!

+1 She said all the right things !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Good forecast. Nobody should have any reason to complain about not being warned if it does turn out to be a damaging wind event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

looking like i may need a new shed after this.

not good at all

Indeed. Isle of Man looks set for a proper blasting from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

What was the forecast - daughter insists hollyoaks is "the" only channel the telly must be on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

what did she say exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads what did she say? I missed it!! What's it looking like for Cork??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Any talk of downgrading is wrong. If anything the models have verified everything and have even strengtened a little. Here is the GFS 6Z and 12Z

A storm be a brewin'

gfs1.png

gfs2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Good forecast. Nobody should have any reason to complain about not being warned if it does turn out to be a damaging wind event.

Yes, she said to take care if out and about - let's see what the papers make of this one! Journos 0, Everyone Else 1 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Storm force winds everywhere except Mayo! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

+1:confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

They really are not making a big deal about this, but for me i trust what i see on the charts and the views of the many experts in here. As others have said, the biggest storms or events are the ones that are not hyped up, they happen when least expected ( to the general public). So be careful and don't take this storm lightly as it will be a biggy.

The reason for lack of media coverage as well as the aforementioned reasons might be thats it looks like the North/West will get the brunt of this storm and hey if aint happening in Dublin the media doesn't really care specially after everyone in Dublin calling them muppets after the last 'hurricane':D

Storm force winds everywhere except that dump Tuam! :p

I see. That makes sense:p

Cork?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

This storm definitely will damage routes with fallen trees and debris in the North and West and wind gusts above 70 knots possible

Could even shift slates and break internet connections! God forbid

• Advertisement

She waved her hand over Cork once ! You will have temps of 12c on Friday apparently.:cool:

irish1967 wrote: »
    She waved her hand over Cork once ! You will have temps of 12c on Friday apparently.:cool:

:( Goddamn south:mad:

We might have a "Bomb" on our hands...
    Weather Bomb

Weather bombs are the most severe of all winter storms. They are characterized as intense low-pressure systems with a central pressure that falls 24 millibars or more in a 24-hour period.

When a low-pressure system develops over the Atlantic, just off the Carolina coast, it gathers moisture from relatively warm ocean water. If the jet stream is far enough south it brings cold air that combines with the warmer air from the Gulf Stream. A Weather bomb is then created.

Weather bombs are known for dumping heavy amounts of rain and snow, producing hurricane-force winds, and creating high surfs that cause severe beach erosion and coastal flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its windy outside at the moment here in Donegal.

P.S Take a look at this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbENTN7p_-o&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's dropped 20 in ten hours.
    It is a bomb and it's ready to detonate:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Indeed. Isle of Man looks set for a proper blasting from this one.

if we have 85mph winds, and gusts above this.
    then we will get some real damage done here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Its windy outside at the moment here in Donegal.

P.S Take a look at this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbENTN7p_-o&feature=related

More media hype :rolleyes: 'Tornado throws cars 40 feet into the air' - must have been leprechauns feet going by that video :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Lads,

Just a reminder that I'm heading towards Belmullet/Achill Island tomorrow for weather spotting and still have 2 seats available. Leaving Maynooth around 9am, coming back around 7pm, can pick someone up on the way, will be heading through Galway/Castlebar areas. Fuel covered by my company so there are no costs apart from a few bucks needed for a Supermacs visit or similar.

• Advertisement

Irish swell chart. It goes up to 35-40 feet off the north west coast!!!

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement