Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did you do last night ?

• 10-11-2010 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

With all the talk of winter training and whether or not to do intervals im wondering what every one is doing, did you train last night what did you do ?

1 hour turbo set, working off heart rate, tacx satori trainer
    12 mins warm up to 65%
    3 mins at 70%
    3 mins at 80%
    3 mins at 70%
    4 mins at 80%
    3 mins at 70%
    5 mins at 80%
    3 mins at 70%
    4 mins at 80%
    3 mins at 70%
    2 mins at 85%
    1 mins at 70%
    2 mins at 85%
    1 mins at 70%
    1 mins at 90%
    10 mins cool down to 60%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

A session of up & overs with the lads interspersed with recovery. Total time was approx an hour. First one of the winter for me and I really enjoyed it I must say!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Well that all sounds fine and dandy!

My winter training last night consisted of a large bowl of stew followed by a bottle and a half of red wine (Shiraz BTW) between myself and my good lady, coupled with a very large bar of Dairy Milk straight from the fridge.......:)

See you guy's on the start line in 2011!! (In fairness that's probably the only time in a race I'll see yee:mad:!

Cheers

Velo Bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Was supposed to do cyclocross but we needed a boat in the park and not a bike.. so I just went and did 45kms on the singlespeed, moderate-slowish pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

1.5 hr with one ascent of Howth from Sutton side and went through some of the steepish backroads to the village on the way down. Thought I was going to go over the bars it's so steep coming from down from windgate road to the village in the wet.

Unstructured but divided the climb into 3 intervals of going hard then easy. I couldn't see my computer so no idea about speed/HR.

Blasted home in the big ring.

The hailstones ripping into my face ticked the mental training box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

played the guitar for an hour .....oh wait maybe thats what i'm doing wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Failed in my valiant efforts to not eat pizza.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Failed in my valiant efforts to not eat pizza.

just think of it as a cheese and tomato sandwich, warmed up, you wouldnt feel guilty about eating a warm cheese and tomato sandwich would you ?

just think of it as a cheese and tomato sandwich, warmed up, you wouldnt feel guilty about eating a warm cheese and tomato sandwich would you ?

I would if it was the size of a dustbin lid and dripping with olive oil...

I shall punish myself at my first spinning class tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Won the commuter race home.
    Cooked some roasted veg (pumpkin, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic) with salmon.
    Did some study, watched the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

10km spin from work to Rathmines to get a haircut, 5km spin into town to get a Mighty Mac meal, 15km spin to get home. The last bit I'm counting as training, cos I practiced some high-speed spinning on the downhills & adjusting my seated climbing style on the uphills so that my core stays rock-solid. Some half-hearted core work when I got home. A focused, productive evening all round:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Spent the day in the Wicklow mountains.......

........but it was work........

.......and I was in a car.

Came home wanting to cycle but not wanting to use the turbo so I did 35km of laps around the locailty - and spent 34.9km cursing my stupidity for not staying in the warm house on the turbo.

Pasta with a chicken based sauce and garlic bread for dinner. Rehydrated with some beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

42 mins on turbo c 20km ?hr approx 150 .Time poor relative newbie cyclist (46yo) no real idea how to train properly on turbo just hop on and pedal !.How can i get more benefit from turbo? i wont see much outdoors this winter just looking to increase overall fitness. Aims are some sportives next year and maybe join a club .All advice appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Have a look at http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/ loads of differnet training plans to try also the count-down feature is nice on the sets.

wicklowvet wrote: »
    42 mins on turbo c 20km ?hr approx 150 .Time poor relative newbie cyclist (46yo) no real idea how to train properly on turbo just hop on and pedal !.How can i get more benefit from turbo? i wont see much outdoors this winter just looking to increase overall fitness. Aims are some sportives next year and maybe join a club .All advice appreciated
    #

posted somewhere else
    http://www.training4cyclists.com/12-week-cycling-winter-training-program/

heart rate monitor helps to keep you in zones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Spent the night rubbing my arse after I took a spin on my MTB with a brand new saddle. If the predicted storm doesnt arrive tommorow maybe a few laps of the trails in Ardgillan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Cycled the mountainbike from home (Shankill) to Lamb Doyles - 1hr 45min around a very slippy 3-Rock with the Epic Savages (letting on that I ride at the back because I like it there!!) - back home in freezing sleety rain!! Really enjoyed it until the going home part!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I imagined I was johan Museew over a few (2.5) leffe's!!! but rivals dont worry I did my training in the day walked into and home from work 1hr 15mins total..zone 3 I would reckon...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 abbeyside1

Guys,whats with all these up and overs,intervals and turbo sessions,its November,nearly 4 months to season.Long steady miles with no efforts till after Christmas or ye'll be burned out by the end of March.....if ye last that long!!:)

abbeyside1 wrote: »
    Guys,whats with all these up and overs,intervals and turbo sessions,its November,nearly 4 months to season.Long steady miles with no efforts till after Christmas or ye'll be burned out by the end of March.....if ye last that long!!:)

That a bit of conventional wisdom that gets trotted out this time every year... I've yet to see it proved true, but perhaps it does happen. It's interesting that some of the "no intensity before turkey" brigade base their argument on physiology (aerobic base etc.) while others base it on psychology... this, to me, smacks of post-hoc reasoning - that alone is enough for me to distrust it.

Have you seen this thread abbeyside1?

EDIT: for the record, I spent an hour spinning with winning solutions this evening and it was strenuous. Judging by the Rás jerseys on the wall I think someone there might know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

i went training for the first time in four weeks because i did my hamstring in, then i got a stress fracture in my foot about twenty minutes into the game. now im sitting at home again, looking at boards.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

That a bit of conventional wisdom that gets trotted out this time every year... I've yet to see it proved true, but perhaps it does happen. It's interesting that some of the "no intensity before turkey" brigade base their argument on physiology (aerobic base etc.) while others base it on psychology... this, to me, smacks of post-hoc reasoning - that alone is enough for me to distrust it.

EDIT: for the record, I spent an hour spinning with winning solutions this evening and it was strenuous. Judging by the Rás jerseys on the wall I think someone there might know what they're doing.

How strenuous? Into Zone 5?

1.5 hrs cross training for me - Running/Rowing/Stability Ball Exercises

chakattack wrote: »
    How strenuous? Into Zone 5?

1.5 hrs cross training for me - Running/Rowing/Stability Ball Exercises

I hit 97% of max HR at some point in the session. Blurred vision, nausea, the lot. Not sure what that works out in Friel terms... Z5a? 5b?

If you're going to do intervals, do intervals.

That was the first real intensity I've done in months so I wanted to see what I could take. Plus, the masochist in me comes out on the turbo sometimes. I don't think I'll be going that deep again for a little while. My plans are to do some longer intervals @LT before doing any of that tabata style stuff again.

Scott McDonald in winning-solutions was leading the session and he used a range of different tortures - everything from 5 minute climbing intervals (big gear, alternating standing and sitting), 30 second sprints, and 15 second on - 15 second recovery stuff too. Absolutely murderous.

I just went along because it's getting pretty popular among my club-mates (disclosure: winning solutions is a club sponsor) and I wanted to see how I'd enjoy it. I'll go back, but not for a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My sister has gone to a few winning solution spinning classes, as a non-cyclist and part-time spinner in gyms she hailed it as the best spinning class she has been to and Scott really knows his stuff.

I would go but funds are tight and I picked up Dirk Friel's turbo trainer book so I'm sorted for structured turbo training for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did spinning & gym tuesday, yoga & pool last night
    (As an aside, some yoga poses for triathletes here from Triathlete europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Spent most of yesterday in the small ring-it works! Usually grind in the big ring up a drag. Lots of drags means more sapping of power whilst in the big ring. Avg. speed was up for the 3hr+ spin.

BTW the N81 will soon be a great route given the progress of the road upgrade. Nothing like rolling over smooth tarmac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I did my 2nd Spinning class at Winning Solutions tonite.
    I have never done intense interval training only LSD stuff.
    I love it. Exhilarating. Legs are gone. I am just enjoying it.

When this round of four classes are up in 2 weeks I hope to sign up for more.

I also did some easy turbo work last night. 45mins. Mostly Zone 2 but 10mins at threshold.
    Hate to say it but I like the turbo also. Its so handy.

Not neglecting LSD either. Got 2 2.5hr spins in this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Another turbo session, with 2 x 15mins at 80% total 1 hour, and 11km run .. not a bad nights work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 abbeyside1

I read it there but I'm still not convinced,I'm cycling 23 years now so its hard to change the old habits,but I see some good points and will be trying to change my training some what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

kicked the **** out of me flat mate for rubbing his langer off me kona, :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement