Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

condensation and mould problem

• 10-11-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help us here. We have lived here in an old cottage for 2 years now and we have one room (bedroom) which has an awful problem with mould and condensation. Normally through the summer months we have to keep on top of mould which can grow on the walls and in places where the air doesn't move - like in cupboards.

Now it's getting cold, like this morning, we have one wall - which is the end wall of the house - wet to touch through condensation. This is obviously not a very healthy stater of affairs. I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do about it. Is this simply a matter of putting in an air-brick somewhere ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Warm air is hitting the cold walls in the room and is condensing, that's what is causing the problem. What sort of walls are they, are they dry lined or insulated etc?? or just plain finished stone walls

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Warm air is hitting the cold walls in the room and is condensing, that's what is causing the problem. What sort of walls are they, are they dry lined or insulated etc?? or just plain finished stone walls

It's actually the end wall of a block extension. It's not dry-lined. I'm thinking this is what I am going to do have to do as well as get a dehumidifier in the meantime. I'm not sure if it is a double or single layer block wall.

If I dry-line the end wall that's 'dripping' will there be condensation in the small gap between the back of the dry-lining and face of the wall behind it that I will be covering ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

flynnboy wrote: »
    It's actually the end wall of a block extension. It's not dry-lined. I'm thinking this is what I am going to do have to do as well as get a dehumidifier in the meantime. I'm not sure if it is a double or single layer block wall.

If I dry-line the end wall that's 'dripping' will there be condensation in the small gap between the back of the dry-lining and face of the wall behind it that I will be covering ?

If its a gable wall then it should be a cavity wall, with some insulation in between. Perhaps look into some bead cavity insulation?

If its not a cavity wall, which I'd be really suprised by, then I would dryline the internal walls with insulation backed plasterboard. and put a vapour barrier in there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help us here. We have lived here in an old cottage for 2 years now and we have one room (bedroom) which has an awful problem with mould and condensation. Normally through the summer months we have to keep on top of mould which can grow on the walls and in places where the air doesn't move - like in cupboards.

Now it's getting cold, like this morning, we have one wall - which is the end wall of the house - wet to touch through condensation. This is obviously not a very healthy stater of affairs. I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do about it. Is this simply a matter of putting in an air-brick somewhere ?

Old cottage probably solid stone walls or no cavity.
    Moisture could be penetrating through walls but very unlikely. Probably cold walls are causing condensation of room air.
    Looks like you will have to dryline ( insulated boards) internally with suitable moisture barrrier.

You may find that the mould is in the existing plaster/board.
    Cleaning with bleech and using antifungal sealant may help.
    Ventilate, Ventilate, Ventilate.....
    Keep the rooms heated and ventilated (reduce moisture/ relative humidity level).

Placing air vents in wall or up into attic space ( if solid walls) might also help. ( short term fix).

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

I think it's going to have to be dry-lining. The only thing I am not sure about is a moisture barrier, which I've never done before. How do I install a moisture barrier and what is it ?

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Niteadds

I think it's going to have to be dry-lining. The only thing I am not sure about is a moisture barrier, which I've never done before. How do I install a moisture barrier and what is it ?

Thanks for the advice guys.

A moisture barrier is just a large sheet of plastic that gets glued or taped to the wall and taped at any splice or electrical box.

Advertisement