Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get Kinect yet??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm still playing it and I swear I wouldn't say it unless I meant it it's great fun can't wait to see what games are gonna come out like FIFA for this or maybe cod or bad company 3 will they be Kinect ready? I know they said fable 3 will have some sort of Kinect capabilities later on but meh

I have read rumors that GT5 will ship with a head tracking in game feature with the Eyetoy part of Move, if stuff like that happens on the 360 with Forza 3.5 or 4 with the Kinect they have a sale right now.

Like Track IR with GTR on the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Btw if anyone on boards in the Laois Kildare area near monasterevin that are unsure and would like to try this send me a pm I'll allow boardsies over to try it :)

Careful guys, I hear he has a forced labor camp set up ready for boardsies to help work off the cost of his Kinect :D

Seriously, fair play though !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

calex71 wrote: »
    Careful guys, I hear he has a forced labor camp set up ready for boardsies to help work off the cost of his Kinect :D

Seriously, fair play though !!!

Lol ah yeah nice 1cal ruin my concentration camp for me lol

Seriously though it's expensive I risked it today and luckily love it I'm wrecked now though lol but times are hard I could luckily just afford it trying this could make santas ahem decision up without costs killingchim

I also get a lot from the site so don'tind giving something back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Kinda regret buying Black Ops,EA MMA & Fable III recently,if i'd to review each in order it'd be Too Hollywoody,too spammy & the worst final 3rd of a game in Years.Doubt this would work in my bedroom would want to play it privately. Can't afford it now saving for Christmas. Would it be able to work with about 4 foot of width & 7 feet length of area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

GTR63 wrote: »
    Would it be able to work with about 4 foot of width & 7 feet length of area.

barely...it's the width that could kill you in some games as you need to sidestep etc..
    I'm working with about 7ft x 5 I'd say and I'm finding it very tight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Have ours set up in the sitting room, about 4/5 steps back (think making goals out of jumpers steps)

Working grand could only afford the kinect and no other games other than adventure, but had a good laugh playing it last night with the OH and a mate, responds well, tried watching the Guild to see what the video play back was like and that worked well too,

Think we need to create a thread of all the pics it takes, :P anyone else up for making an ejjit of themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

With two players we are about 7.5 feet back from sensor - in the 'best' zone according to Kinect display. Still works though I would say about 6.5 ft from sensor. I've read you gain more space by placing sensor on top of tv (ours is on bottom). Need 5-6 feet widthways to play two players comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Is there a fitness game out for this yet , might be able to get it for the missus for XMas as shes been on about the wii. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

bennyc wrote: »
    Is there a fitness game out for this yet , might be able to get it for the missus for XMas as shes been on about the wii. ;)

Theres about 3 out right now, couldnt tell you which is the best but the one by Ubisoft (Your Shape) looked good at E3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

bennyc wrote: »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Shape-Fitness-Evolved-Compatible/dp/B003RWTMXO/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289470887&sr=8-1-spell

Disclaimer: no idea what this is actually like, I don't even have a Kinnect :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

allanb49 wrote: »

Think we need to create a thread of all the pics it takes, :P anyone else up for making an ejjit of themselves?

Only myself and another guy were brave enough to post the eejit pics that get caught. :D

wheres yours??????? ;)

Due to work i can't post them up right now, but they are coming, and its true, playing naked doesn't affect gameplay, It does affect the family though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I wonder if i got the biggest loser game and told the female friends it only works if wearing as little as possible.

0.o.....

There is interferance from the rafting game with mainly just womens clothes due to the amount of jumping it picks clothes up incorrectly, so the less clothes worn the better. Also i have disabled the camera so its only tracking you in infrared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭god_dos

silvine wrote: »
    Tried speech recognition there, not working :(
    Yeah. Mine doesn't work either. Read that it won't work til the spring (online on my phone, so I don't have a link, I'm afraid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Due to work i can't post them up right now, but they are coming, and its true, playing naked doesn't affect gameplay, It does affect the family though.

So Rule 34 applies!!!

Reading this thread tho, I have gone from Not Getting it, to a Maybe, I better not see it in action some where cause I will probably purchase there and then if I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Got the kinect and xbox bundle form smyths yesterday, have to wait till the kids are out so i can set it up (its there santa pressie), too stuck for time tomorrow so i recon i will play it ooppps i mean set it up on Monday while they are at school/preschool. Cant wait.....

Got sonic riders and motion sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Picked it up.
    Very impressed.

Got Kinect Sports with it too, and I gotta say it's a must get if you have Kinect.
    The guy from E4 does the voiceovers, the chart music blasting out when you win or score.

The Chariots Of Fire during replays on the athletics.
    Great fun.
    Had a friend over and we laughed our asses off.
    Looking forward tothe weekend when I have a group over and drinks will be taken.

No look on getting the Voice Commands working, but the Kinect Chas was ridiculously impressive.
    chatting away to a friend while out in my kitchen and he could pick me up grand!

Picked it up.
    Very impressed.

Got Kinect Sports with it too, and I gotta say it's a must get if you have Kinect.

!

Didnt look that good on you tube. thats why i went for motion sports.

Trust me man, it's very good.
    I haven't played Motion Sports yet, buy Kinect Sports is great fun.

Anyway, I've figured out the Voice control.
    We do have it, with a catch.
    You need to set your locale to either USA or UK, and then log off from Xbox Live.
    It won't work if you're online, but will if you're offline.

Set you're local to USA or UK, go through the audio calibration, and then disconnect from live.

Say "Xbox" and away you go.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have the Kinect and it's pretty good. The voice control is annoying considering it works fine when you spoof the locale to pretend your in the UK.

I got Dance Central for the GF and it really shows off the power of the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Hey, I'm thinking on getting this but I've two quick questions for any one who has it

1. I have about 6 max 7 foot between my tv and couch but I've loads of room to either side. Would that be enough space??

2. What are the best games for this? I have the wii so are the sports games like a controller-less version of them?

Thanks

So got to try it last night for a bit, played the demo of dance central and break it down mode (cause i have no rhythm) Was quite fun even though i confused myself a few times trying to keep up, Then went back and played Kinect Adventures, Which is fun, but it would be come boring on your own after a while, Dance Central should make me more comfortable dancing in public

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

To those who've bought it - how big a room have you set it up in?
    Reading a few reviews and it seems there's a 6ft minimum distance from the sensor. There's no way I have 6ft of space away from my TV to use it so if that's a true requirement I'm out (till i move to a new place tongue.gif)

I have mine on top of the tv and as said before about 3/4 steps back from the tv works fine,

I have my TV in the corner of the room.
    It's a long room, but narrow nough, and because of the angle, it's a bit tight.

For most game, you need a minimum of 6-7 feet.
    8 feet for two player.

But you also need width at the end.
    The Kinects vision is conical, so you need about 4 feet accros at the end to fit in.

For menu controls you're grand.
    3-4 feet distance is perfect.

But it does need room alright.

Been playing it for the last hour, im wrecked, GREAT FUN. had to pack it up before my lad comes home from pre school at 12. Better than the wii by far.

Been playing it for the last hour, im wrecked, GREAT FUN. had to pack it up before my lad comes home from pre school at 12. Better than the wii by far.

You had to test it for

- safety reasons
    - make sure it works at christmas
    - make sure their's no adult themes in the games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Got it myself last night... U really do need at least 6ft to use it, I'd to move my xbox to another room to use it. Tis pretty cool tho, much better than the wii.. will be very interesting to see how developers use it..

• Advertisement

You had to test it for

- safety reasons
    - make sure it works at christmas
    - make sure their's no adult themes in the games :D

Dont think i tested it that well, i will have to get it out again monday (while the 3 kids are at school) and test it a bit more, ;):D

* note to self do stretching exercises first.

Advertisement