Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get Kinect yet??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm tempted to buy another xbox so I can put it downstairs in the sitting room.
    Way more space than my bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Tempted .... just need to bring to lad to a demo and get it on his santa list!

Reckon they will be in short supply come Xmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sc@recrow wrote: »

I'll most likely do this. I'll stick my old Xbox downstairs and the new shiny one upstairs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I love it, i think its great, i had a go of the demo for active fit yesterday, its really impressive the way you (not your avatar) come up on the screen and it measures your height etc. There is one cool thing where you hold out your arm and it shows you the angle of your arm to the side of your body and as you move your arm up and down the angle changes.. looks cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

i was thinking of picking it up myself,

i have the original white monster xbox and was thinking of up grading to the xbox s 250gb as i kinect should run better right?

should i just get the kinect on it's own or should i really upgrade ?

looks lethal fun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Dont think it runs better, but the new xbox doesnt require you to plug in the kinect, with the older ones you have to use the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

keithgeo wrote: »
    Dont think it runs better, but the new xbox doesnt require you to plug in the kinect, with the older ones you have to use the plug.

There's also the issue that it will take up one of only 3 USB ports on the old 360, whereas it has its own port on the slim. Unfortunately, barring a hub which adds extraneous clutter and cabling, even just using so much as a wireless adapter, kinect, a USB hard drive and a play and charge kit entails swapping leads.

I know that MS may well not have seen the 360 going where it is now when it was originally designed, but even at launch I thought 3 ports was a bit lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

im finding now that when using the kinect the xbox is crashing a fair bit (old super elite model) can see it going to xbox heaven in a while.... ill be on to either number 6 or 7 :P

Hopefully if it does they'll give me a new shiney slim one :D:D:D
    thankfully i got the extended warinty in game... hate dealing with microsoft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Anyone have any issues using the kinect with the old jasper elite ? Any lags over the newer machine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues using the kinect with the old jasper elite ? Any lags over the newer machine ?

No probs on my 3 year old Xbox. I wouldn't worry about it :D

Kinect is great craic!

Dance Central - The gf picked it up today but I think I may end up playing it more. Thrashing around to pop songs is a grand aul laugh with some surprisingly complicated moves too. Some of them are ridiculous poses so as long as you're prepared to go OTT it's perfect! It's so responsive to your moves as well, but I think they missed an opportunity with the track list. Obviously they went for pop but a few headbangers here or there would really sell it - imagine a 2 player moshpit mode! :pac:

Joyride - played demo. Pants. Mario Kart but with even wider tracks and terrible controls. The steering works, but they have some weird auto-guide thing incorporated which means it isn't 1:1. Basically a racing game where you pretend to be in control :(

Adventures - Good minigame fun for a bash every now and then. A few laughs to be had at your ridiculous flailing too but nothing special really. A good free game to get :D

Also loving the way you can use Kinect as a mic for online chat. Always found the headsets a bit of a pain. Hands free ftw!

• Advertisement

No probs on my 3 year old Xbox. I wouldn't worry about it :D

Kinect is great craic!

I have to get it so , probably buy the fitness game by ubi first. Get use to how it works and some exercise :D

Didn't think I'd see tech like it for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I have to get it so , probably buy the fitness game by ubi first. Get use to how it works and some exercise :D

EA's Fitness game comes out on Friday. Prob worth checking reviews on both before purchasing!

I created another thread in here on kinect games and user reviews...
    Your Share is an excellent game , well not really a game as it gives you an excellent workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The demo of your fitness thinks im only 3ft tall, i'm 6ft, anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

How do fella's. Will probably be picking up the Kinect/250gb bundle for xmas. Quick question. Is the console HDMI, does it come with HDMI cable, or component as standard? Will a regular HDMI cable work?

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

nicklauski wrote: »
    How do fella's. Will probably be picking up the Kinect/250gb bundle for xmas. Quick question. Is the console HDMI, does it come with HDMI cable, or component as standard? Will a regular HDMI cable work?

Cheers guys.

Yeah it uses HDMI, but alas, does not come with a HDMI cable. You can get them pretty cheap though, I use a cheap one on the PS3 that I got from Gamestop for like 12e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Yeah it uses HDMI, but alas, does not come with a HDMI cable. You can get them pretty cheap though, I use a cheap one on the PS3 that I got from Gamestop for like 12e.

I'll keep my eyes peeled in Lidl/Aldi for one so. :)

cheers dark saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭god_dos

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'll most likely do this. I'll stick my old Xbox downstairs and the new shiny one upstairs.
    Sc@recrow wrote: »

Yeah. I had one of the older ones with the 256MB card in the bedroom, (the Core I think is what it was called) and an Elite, so moved the Elite to the bedroom and sold the Core and bought one of the new ones. Kinect is great craic.

Got the your shape game ,first impressions are impressive.Great techonlogy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

nicklauski wrote: »
    I'll keep my eyes peeled in Lidl/Aldi for one so. :)

cheers dark saga.

Just make sure it's at least 1.3c standard ,I bought one from aldi and it was useless

This one is very good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can I ask those of you who have purchased how long is the lead connecting this to the XBox? Also, how long is the supplier power lead?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I have to say, I'm hugely impressed with Kinect. I've tried plenty of demos since the summer but getting it home and personalising it to your own set up it really is an awesome piece of hardware. From the Kinect ID sign in, to the voice control (which is working on my Sky Player even though it's supposedly locked till Feb, huh?) and the games themselves, Kinect well and truly works!

Myself and one of the lads were yesterday playing Kinect Adventures and just thinking about how I've had a Wii for 4 years and never once have we played a two player, those that describe Kinect as Eye Toy 2010 or the Wii without a controller need to rethink!

slave1 wrote: »
    Can I ask those of you who have purchased how long is the lead connecting this to the XBox? Also, how long is the supplier power lead?
    Thanks

from the kinect to the usb part it's about 4-5 feet with another 2-3 feet for the power plug..
    so plenty of room on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Sonic Free Riders available as demo now according to Major Nelson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Got Kinect two weeks ago! Been sick since I got the fuppin thing!!!

So ain't got a go on it yet! The tech seems really good though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

anyone know if your fitness or ea sports active are any good or which one is better...? thinking of getting kinect for the house and was thinking of getting one of these :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I got the sonic game on launch day, I traded it back in the other day for ACB.

Dont go near sonic, its rubbish, unresponsive and awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

cython wrote: »
    There's also the issue that it will take up one of only 3 USB ports on the old 360, whereas it has its own port on the slim. Unfortunately, barring a hub which adds extraneous clutter and cabling, even just using so much as a wireless adapter, kinect, a USB hard drive and a play and charge kit entails swapping leads.

I know that MS may well not have seen the 360 going where it is now when it was originally designed, but even at launch I thought 3 ports was a bit lacking.

yeah that is one of the reasons i was thinking of getting one of the bundles, i already use the usb ports and would have to swap them out all the time. plus i don't have free plugs to have to use for the power of the kinect.

think it might be time to get rid of the old one and bring in the new, heard it uses less power too. and i could do with it being quieter too

Cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Got it on Sunday and think its great, love the videos that come up after you play kinect sports the state of me jumping around :D but having a prob with space where I live I might have to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 phildevan2

will the kinect work with the xbox arcade, can anyone point me in the right direction

Advertisement