Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City -V- Manchester United Match Thread 10/11/10

• 10-11-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

manchester-city%20logo%20live%20stream%20football%20on%20your%20pc.pngV Man%20Utd%20Badge%5B5%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

Kick-Off: 8pm
    Venue: City of Manchester Stadium
    Television: Sky Sports 2 & 3D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would be very happy with a draw from tonights game. Even with a full squad we would need a good performance to get a result, but with the amount of players that are reported to not be fit or 50/50 at best for the game..... it will be a very tough match.

not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If Utd have as many players out as we are led to believe then there can only be one outcome here. How Utd have remained unbeaten up to now is a bit of a mystery :)

Hopefully we can get some 1st teamers back for the weekend and kick on from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Interesting one. Both Liverpool and City showed the way to beat Chelsea, the physical approach along with a good striker.

Tevez back is huge for the blues and United are missing a few big players.

Draw perhaps? Or City to very slightly edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Will be shouting for City tonight. That has in no way got anything to do with the 17/10 I got on them. :) Before all this virus news I thought this had a City win written all over it. Expecting Tevez so be ever so slightly fired up for this one and a goal or two from him would not surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tevez is the key. Is De Jong availible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

NDJ shoud be available.

Im nervous about this. On one hand, we have a fairly full squad. Utd have a diminished squad. One the other, Utd dont need to be told where the goal is, and sometimes i think our back 4 need to be!

Im predicting a 3-1 win to City, but that also depends on how many defensive players we start with. AJ, Silva and maybe Milner to lead attacks and i think we will be golden.

But then again, it is Mancini!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

It's so hard to predict how this one could go. Nani, Vidic, Berbatov, Scholes, Giggs & Evra are all doubtful. I fully expect(and hope to God) most out of that list to play though but even then it's going to be an extremely tough match. Can see it coming down to the wire and hopefully it will be the little pea that will turn hero this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Oh I hate derby day. It's the one team above any I hate to see United losing to. Given the mini crisis at the team atm I would take a face saving draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I ****ing love derby day. Only people I prefer playing is Leeds.

A ****load of injuries and its a real bloody test, but come on and take this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I expect an incredibly cagey affair with most of the play happeneing in and around the midfield!

still though my gut is telling me 2-0 to city!

(although it also told me it would be 3-0 to chelsea over pool at the w/e so my gut doesnt know all that much)

• Advertisement

its citys to lose imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Team I expect -

Hart

Boateng
    Toure
    Kompany
    Zabaleta

De Jong

Toure
    Barry

Silva
    Milner

Tevez

Subs: Given, Richards, A Johnson, Kolorov, Adebayor, Wright-Phillips, Vieira.

Kolorov may start ahead of Zabs at left back though.

I want a win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm really looking forward to this! I may be on a few pills and painkillers at the moment but if we win this, it will be the best fúcking tonic EVER!
    All of the injuries and 50/50's make it so hard to see where we are going to take a win from.

I hope Michael Owen is on the bench tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

its citys to lose imo

Never write off united.;)

do we have an exact number for the virus in united camp lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Reports suggesting Tevez is only 50-50 for this. Going with 1-2 to United. Feeling very positive today!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

While i accept it will be a shame to miss the big name players i think when it comes to a derby the youngsters know what it mean and will be well up for it. I would be more concerned if the majority of the players had not been there a number seasons and did not know what to expeect.

off the top of my head chico and smalling are the only 2 that have no experience of it.

Only concern is that they might be a bit too up for it i.e. rafael in the champions league match

killwill wrote: »
    Reports suggesting Tevez is only 50-50 for this.

Gotta love those 'reports'. Tevez did some light work with a physio this morning at training and should be good to go tonight.

Evra and Vidic should be ok as well.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gotta love those 'reports'. Tevez did some light work with a physio this morning at training and should be good to go tonight.

Giggs too is supposed to be ok.

Need to hear about the central midfielders though, that is where the problem could be... Scholes, Carrick and Anderson all doubts.

I'd take a risk on Scholes and Carrick to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Tevez would start this game on crutches if he had to!

Close one, United need to be a lot better than they were at the weekend to get anything. Draw methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If United's injury list transpires to be genuine then its a chance for City to make a big statment tonight. Big qustion is has Mancini the balls to go for it properly or will he play three DM's as usual?

This game worries me a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

flahavaj wrote: »
    If United's injury list transpires to be genuine then its a chance for City to make a big statment tonight. Big qustion is has Mancini the balls to go for it properly or will he play three DM's as usual?

This game worries me a lot.
    I think he will. He'll be worried about any kind of counter attack so I cant see him going more attacking then usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

United have won five of the last six matches in all competitions against City. Combined with City losing 3 of the last 4 games means it is United's for the taking again. An appropriate picture for the clash
    alex-ferguson-joke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Scoreless draw please.... Or failing that, a Manchester United win.

United have won five of the last six matches in all competitions against City. Combined with City losing 3 of the last 4 games means it is United's for the taking again. An appropriate picture for the clash
    alex-ferguson-joke.jpg

not in old trafford this time though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

U-N-I T-E-D
    United are the team for me....

Really looking forward to this. 2-0 United please. Chico scoring too. :D

OK not the most reliable source at all but certainly good news if it turns out to be true. Would set the tie up brilliantly for Chico to come off the bench at net the winner.
    Javier Hernandez has been dropped from the Manchester United team for Wednesday night’s derby showdown against Manchester City, Goal.com UK can reveal.
    The Mexican striker, who has started United’s last four Premier League games, will make way as Sir Alex Ferguson has decided to field fit-again Dimitar Berbatov as a lone striker at the home of United’s bitter rivals.

Goal.com UK understands that Ryan Giggs trained on Tuesday and is set to start after three weeks out with a hamstring injury. Paul Scholes and Rafael Da Silva also return to the starting XI while the United manager will make a final check this morning on Nani, who is recovering well from a groin strain and is likely to start.

If Nani is passed fit, either Ji-Sung Park or Michael Carrick is expected to miss out on one of the most eagerly anticipated derby clashes in recent years.

United’s preparations have been affected by a flu bug that has spread around the club and led to a number of players being sent home on Monday.

But Patrice Evra, Nemanja Vidic, Berbatov and Scholes, all believed to have been among the victims, have recovered in time, meaning Ferguson will nearly have a full-strength squad to choose from.

An under-strength side missing a clutch of regulars required a last-gasp winner from Park to defeat Wolves on Saturday.

The return of the big guns mean that there will be at least five changes to the team. In addition to Hernandez, Wes Brown, John O’Shea, Gabriel Obertan and Owen Hargreaves, who was ruled out yesterday with a hamstring injury following his five-minute comeback at the weekend, will also miss out.

Ferguson’s decision to leave out Hernandez is a surprise, given that his Old Trafford debut season has already yielded six goals in 13 games and he has emerged as an able deputy for Wayne Rooney.

Yet the United manager has elected for a system that has served the team well away from home in recent years against their biggest rivals and in the Champions League.

Goal.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

not in old trafford this time though:)

like that matters

http://news.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/the-newspaper/sport/man-united-v-man-city-ferguson-warns-tevez-of-tough-fight-099
    Ferguson has been quick to stick the boot into City at every opportunity and took his chance again when asked if he could ever imagine a time when City would start one of these games as favourites to win.

He said: “What time is it? I think it is time for me to leave. Not in my life-time.”

O_RLY.jpg

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/manchester-city-v-manchester-united/winner

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Have to wait for the start of the match Xavi, thats says Uniteds odds are shortening while Citys are drifting. Typical City fan getting carried away with himself, before actually achieving anything.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

So a typical day's training for him!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fergie in dubious throwaway quote scandal.:pac:

If that article is credible - and it is goal.com fter all, could be looking at:

Berba
    Giggs
    Nani
    --Carrick--Fletch--Scholes--
    Evra----Rio---Vidic---O Shea
    VDS

Jesus I'd be delighted with that. Park for Nani if not fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

id gladly take a draw tonight....city have to be massive favourites, considering our casualty list.

have we even 11 fit players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Berba
    Giggs
    Nani
    VDS

Yeah, you really couldn't argue with that line-up. Here's hoping.
    But United's poor scoring and leaking goals all over the shop really doesn't instill confidence!

I'd take a clean sheet for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I think if the virus doesn't affect tonights team selection united will start like this:

VDS

Rafael
    Vidic
    Ferdinand----Evra

Carrick

Nani---Scholes
    Fletcher
    Giggs

Berbatov

Subs:
    Kuszczak
    O'Shea
    Brown
    Park
    Obertan
    Bebe
    Hernandez

I think the subs will line up on the bench as follows:

--Fergie--Mike Phelan--Rene Muelensteen--Albert Morgan--Rob Swire--Eric Steele

Kuszczak---O'Shea---Brown---Park
    Obertan----bebe
    hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Berba
    Giggs
    Nani
    VDS

Id nearly put park in ahead of Giggs the form hes in of late. City are quite strong in the middle too so we could do his industry in there, leave Scholes / carrick a bit more space to create.

• Advertisement

id gladly take a draw tonight....city have to be massive favourites, considering our casualty list.

have we even 11 fit players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

But United's poor scoring and leaking goals all over the shop really doesn't instill confidence!

United are the second top scoring team in the PL :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

smokedeels wrote: »
    United are the second top scoring team in the PL :confused:

Was about to post something similar myself. Its the midfield and defence that has me worried.

In the two games previous to the game at the weekend vs Wolves we kept clean sheets. Conceded vs Stoke in the league (one) and Wolves in the CC (two) prior to that but kept three clean sheets in the four games prior to that.

A clean sheet isn't that unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'm expecting City to play like they did against Chelsea, like a relegation-threatened team with 10 men behind the ball in the hope that Tevez bags something up front. With Nani and Berbatov doubtful/out for Utd, the two players who've been involved in the vast majority of the team's goals this season, I'm not sure they'll have enough to break them down. Betting on 0-0 at 10/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Sorry lads, looking back on stats, hadn't really noticed they clocked up so many goals. With regards to leaking goals, I meant the manner in which they've conceeded, the amount of silly goals they've conceeded due to blunders, the batch of games where leads were given away etc is what I meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

bigred_m on Twitter:
    16 years ago to this day: Manchester United 5-0 Manchester City. (Cantona, Hughes, Kanchelskis (3))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I expect to see Nani and Fletcher play today. Fergie up to his old tricks as usual :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Not looking forward to tonights game at all... Would be happy enough with a draw, don't have too much faith in an injured/sick United team scoring many goals

Tevez is going to be well up for this game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Really looking forward to tonight, I'd take a draw here given that we may have a weak team due to the virus. However, I have a feeling Fergie is keeping his cards close to his chest and that we will see a decent line up if players are any where near fit. Can't see him fielding a young team in a derby if he didn't absolutely have to, infact utd fans will know he does this alot before bigs games, wouldn't be surprized if Rooney was touching down at Manchester airport =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

God, I hate all this waiting. I'd take a 0-0 now if it was offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Man U have conceded 8 in 5 away games against the likes of Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke. Have only won one.

City conceded 5 in 5 and have put Liverpool and Chelsea to the sword at home.

Expect them to triumph at home again tonight. Chelsea to extend to five again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Anything can happen in derby games, all that stuff about sick players is suspect to say the least. I expect united to field a good team. City might shade it, but form is erratic. a really hard one to call. Hopefully no sending offs or silly ref decisions and it should be a great game between two good teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I fancy City to win this. Their midfield should be able to dominate United's and Tevez can always do something special. Silva looks to be getting better each match and they have Johnson to come on if they need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

2 - 1 to city. Just cant see united winning this at all especially without nani

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement