Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City -V- Manchester United Match Thread 10/11/10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Should of won.
    All right result considering the team, still would of expected that side to beat the likes of City tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Mancini gets the draw he set out for. should have went for it i think.

He didnt just want a draw, from replays he also wanted brown to get a yellow card . . . Classy . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Chelsea thanks Manchester for getting a draw;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

United should have won, I'm raging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Man City are absolutely septic to watch , 10 men behind the ball & occasionally 11 throughout the game . Terrible game , draw the fairest outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Soby wrote: »
    Well that was a tad over hyped.And Ade brings up the debate of subs not being ready to come on.Really should all be kitted out imo

looked to me like he was saying to mancini that he couldn't be ar$ed. he missed one chance to come on when the ball was out of play because of shin pads i think. there was only about 2 min on the clock at that stage. not exactly bursting to come on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Said I would take that before the game, and I'll take it now. Comfortable game for United, never really looked liked losing it. Didn't threaten to do to much at the other end either though. Still, given how the squad was before the game in terms of fitness (and I do not believe the virus issue was mindgames, none of the Manchester based jouno's think it was) it was going to be a very tough game for United to get through.

On to the Villa game this weekend, hopefully we can get 3 points from that.

Man of the Match voting open, and open to all as alway; just be sensible with your votes, please.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol footballing lesson my swiss.

Well they had you predicting a United win with 20 minutes to go.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Were these people watching the same match as me?

Well that was all a bit shit.
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Rubbish game. EPL is a pile of muck.

nullzero wrote: »
    Horrible game,

I am in the City vs Utd thread, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What a ****e match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A drab, boring game. Pointless trying to analyse it to a great extent as I don't think either side learned much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Drumpot wrote: »
    If one game represents an entire league campaign, then its hard to argue with your "logic" . .

I don't recall saying "based on this one game, EPL is a pile of muck". This is standard fare between EPL "heavy hitters".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Horrendous game.

City are frauds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Were these people watching the same match as me?

I am in the City vs Utd thread, right?

The game was an anti climax, thats the point being made.
    United played some good football but never really troubled City and we could have won had we pushed on.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

and in case it gets lost on the previous page....

voting link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Muppet wrote: »
    Well they had you predicting a United win with 20 minutes to go.;)

One late chance does not a footballing lesson make.

Neither side was great going forward, both were solid at the back. Too even for 'lessons'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Definitely a case of hindsight disappointment. Still, all things considered, a draw isn't a bad result - and positivity should be taken from the performance.

I think a turning point was Evra's injury - not sure if that was the cause or the tide started to swing naturally, but from half time to that point United dominated. I think had that continued for another few minutes Hernandez would have come on for a midfielder - but City came back into it and I think Fergie opted for caution in reaction to that, keeping the 5 in midfield intact. A pity, because Berbatov had been fantastic up to that point.

Good performance, solid at the back (though admittedly with not a lot to do) and the only criticism is probably a bit of bluntness up top, which could have turned one point into three given the possession.

United MoTM for me:

1) Berbatov

2) Scholes

3) Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I thought that was a pretty damn good match for a 0-0 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

padraig_f wrote: »
    I'm expecting City to play like they did against Chelsea, like a relegation-threatened team with 10 men behind the ball in the hope that Tevez bags something up front. With Nani and Berbatov doubtful/out for Utd, the two players who've been involved in the vast majority of the team's goals this season, I'm not sure they'll have enough to break them down. Betting on 0-0 at 10/1.

Damn I'm good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Went for #1 Ferdinand, #2 Berbatov and #3 Scholes on MOTM vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I enjoyed the 2nd half. Utd in total control away from home doesn't happen a lot these days.

°°°°°

A drab, boring game. Pointless trying to analyse it to a great extent as I don't think either side learned much.

To an extenet it suited United to not take the game to City, as we're still in the middle of a difficult patch and coming through that unbeaten may well galvinise the sqaud.
    I feel that had we pushed City we could have easily gotten a goal or two, neither side were great but at least United had some excuses to fall back on, City should have been taking their chance.

Glazers Out!

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    City are frauds.

Lol, and a SHAM!

0.jpg

papagormo wrote: »
    Chelsea thanks Manchester for getting a draw;)

Is that reference to Manchester being blue? If you are referring to that then that's rubbish. In fact it was also proven.

Funny a Chelsea fan having a pop in some way at a fan base. Let's not forget the electric atmosphere your great lot create at The Bridge... :rolleyes:

°°°°°

Lol, and a SHAM!

0.jpg

Fvcking Hell!

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Le King wrote: »
    Is that reference to Manchester being blue? If you are referring to that then that's rubbish. In fact it was also proven.

Funny a Chelsea fan having a pop in some way at a fan base. Let's not forget the electric atmosphere at The Bridge... :rolleyes:

Ehhh it's pretty obvious that when he sas 'Manchester' he means both sides as, ya know, both drew and it's the perfect result for Chelsea as both lose ground.

You're as defensive as Mancini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Funny a Chelsea fan having a pop in some way at a fan base. Let's not forget the electric atmosphere your great lot create at The Bridge... :rolleyes:

I read that as him/her being happy that both teams slipped up re: the title race??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

EPL is a pile of muck.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

One late chance does not a footballing lesson make.

Neither side was great going forward, both were solid at the back. Too even for 'lessons'.

United were the better team IMO. United didn't make very many chances but certainly controlled the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm pretty sure he's just thanking two of Chelsea's main title contenders for playing out a draw.

but you go ahead and jump to one of the more offensive conclusions possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Either Mancini doesnt believe in his team or he is just way too defensive. He played for a 0-0, there was never more than 2 or 3 City players going forward when they had the ball. Throwing on Ade with time up was ridiculous. Shame because they have the players to go forward but his negativity is stifling the team. Both teams were comfortable in what was a boring match. Primarily Mancini's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Went

1. Vidic
    2. Carrick
    3. Berbatov

for MOTM.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I read that as him/her being happy that both teams slipped up re: the title race??

City won't have a chance of winning the title. I certainly don't see them as contenders. Not while Gareth Barry is in that side, "Mr. Impact player" isn't getting games and Mancini is still there. Far too defensive. It's horrible to watch.

In fairness, i'm frustrated as a fan of football. But at the end of the day both managers will be happy and both will achieve their objectives for the season. United will come second, City will finish in the top 4. Fair play United and City. As long as both are happy, who am i to complain?

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

for motm i went 1 vidic 2 scholes 3 berbatov. rafael and evra were in the running. No player on uniteds team played badly

United were the better team IMO. United didn't make very many chances but certainly controlled the game.
    Exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness, i'm frustrated as a fan of football. But at the end of the day both managers will be happy and both will achieve their objectives for the season. United will come second, City will finish in the top 4. Fair play United and City. As long as both are happy, who am i to complain?

Well done to all involved.

Bit obvious innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

City won't have a chance of winning the title. I certainly don't see them as contenders. Not while Gareth Barry is in that side, "Mr. Impact player" isn't getting games and Mancini is still there. Far too defensive. It's horrible to watch.

I would agree that I dont think they will challenge but I just think that was the perception of the post. We all know its a load of ****e that Manchester is blue. Something the City like to cling onto as they've had little else to feed off

Warper wrote: »
    Either Mancini doesnt believe in his team or he is just way too defensive. He played for a 0-0, there was never more than 2 or 3 City players going forward when they had the ball. Throwing on Ade with time up was ridiculous. Shame because they have the players to go forward but his negativity is stifling the team. Both teams were comfortable in what was a boring match. Primarily Mancini's fault.

When all is said and done, City will finish top 4 and Mancini will view this as a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don't recall saying "based on this one game, EPL is a pile of muck". This is standard fare between EPL "heavy hitters".

Baring in mind that 4 epl teams will make up the last 16 of europes toughest competition, it shows that the football is tougher and goals have to be well earned unlike the pippity pop defending in la primera . . Spurs mighnt even get into the top 4 and they just scored 6 goals in 2 games against the european champions ! !

NOt just that, the EPL has 6 good teams, la primera has 2, there are far more points to lose in the EPL against better teams.

• Advertisement

for motm i went 1 vidic 2 scholes 3 berbatov. rafael and evra were in the running. No player on uniteds team played badly

O shea wasn't great when he came on, park faded and gave it away a bit in the last third towards the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

You spend over 200 mil in the summer to settle for the top 4? I'm not 'buying' that!

How many times have you seen a side control the game and get feck all though? United created very little and could (maybe should) have been hit on the break once or twice, which is essentially how Mancini plays anyway.

Not saying we deserved to win, just addressing the point that was made about us getting some sort of lesson.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bit obvious innit.

Sorry, not sure what you're trying to say there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Poor game... very boring at times, IMO.

City never seemed to want to attack; only ever had 3 players at most going forward. Never seemed into it at all. Mancini would want to impress them to attack more in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If only you were as subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

How many times have you seen a side control the game and get feck all though? United created very little and could (maybe should) have been hit on the break once or twice, which is essentially how Mancini plays anyway.

Not saying we deserved to win, just addressing the point that was made about us getting some sort of lesson.

De jong and barry hardly touched the ball, yaya kept losing it and silva,tevez and milner couldn't get 3 passes together between them.That's a team at home:confused:. The only time i was worried was when johnson came on. He is a class player

Drumpot wrote: »
    Baring in mind that 4 epl teams will make up the last 16 of europes toughest competition, it shows that the football is tougher and goals have to be well earned unlike the pippity pop defending in la primera . . Spurs mighnt even get into the top 4 and they just scored 6 goals in 2 games against the european champions ! !

NOt just that, the EPL has 6 good teams, la primera has 2, there are far more points to lose in the EPL against better teams.

While i believe from top to bottom La Liga is stronger, you are absolutely right. But as a spectator, it's rubbish. Don't forget how quick the English media were to remind us how boring Serie A was when they were dominating.

English top 4 are stronger than any other top 4, no doubt. No argument from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I actually enjoyed that game which I know is weird. It was very tense with a steady flow. But it was more like watching United trying to score against a well organised smaller team than watching a big showdown type game. In the end the result is frustrating but I would have taken a draw before the game, especially with the injuries/virus.

I'm generally happy with the United performance. Carrick again impressed me - he's been doing a lot better this season imo. Fletcher put in a mighty shift and Scholes lasted well and really kept the ball moving nicely. Berbatov didn't do enough imo, disappointing.

City were laughably negative. They set themselves up so defensively that it made our midfield's job so much easier. Manccini will never win the PL.

Fletcher MOTM for me. I voted Scholes second and Vidic third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Your posts on this thread. Awful.

Think that's what he means. It's like an unjustified holier-than-thou complex or something. Or just a bit of light trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement