Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PWC - Accountants brought to book over raunchy emails - See mod note post 7.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,135 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I like how the females have changed their attitude from this thread when it was ok to rate men.

As to quote Millicent
    Millicent wrote: »
    What are you even talking about? If you read this, you would see she had kept this between 3 friends, one of whom stupidly forwarded it on. And "that type of thing"? It's not shameful, you know. It's sex. It's nice. Women enjoy it too. Calm the **** down.

I mean i am sure the guys did not mean for this to go beyond the 17 in it and I am sure the 1st person to email it did not want someone to send it into the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I like how the females have changed their attitude from this thread when it was ok to rate men.

As to quote Millicent

I mean i am sure the guys did not mean for this to go beyond the 17 in it and I am sure the 1st person to email it did not want someone to send it into the public domain.

There is one big difference:
    The guys used company email, and as such, should be reprimanded.

I don't necessary see their actions as sexist, but I do see it as a very stupid and inappropriate thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

As to quote Millicent

Ah, I was waiting for that. Nice of you to complete disregard the point I have made several times about the expectation of respect in the workplace being different from friendly banter. Good reading comprehension there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Haha just saw the email!

"FYI.New clunge"

"Great work, have reservations about the last one getting in"

The girls are the typical Smurfit blondes! Nice looking

EDIT: There is now a PwC email reaffirimng their values blah blah

Ah, I was waiting for that. Nice of you to complete disregard the point I have made several times about the expectation of respect in the workplace being different form friendly banter. Good reading comprehension there.

So you would have been ok with it if these guys had of used their personal emails?

• Advertisement

So you would have been ok with it if these guys had of used their personal emails?

I'd still think it was over the line but it would have been less heinous an act. Still extremely tacky and still on the sexist side, but the fact that it was on a work email makes it far worse. If they emailed on their own time and on their own accounts, I'd be uncomfortable with it but at least it would show they could at least separate their professional selves from their boorish, juvenile selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It would have meant it would be harder to fire them rather then a warning since they would have breached code of conduct rather then clear and defined email policy rules. At least one of the them had the sense to become hesitant about the email leaving the company.

Its interesting to see the knock on from this. My company which shall remain nameless has now blocked the ability to pull the pic's off our Intranet site easily. Not to say it can't be done, just not easy to do now.

I'd still think it was over the line but it would have been less heinous an act. Still extremely tacky and still on the sexist side, but the fact that it was on a work email makes it far worse. If they emailed on their own time and on their own accounts, I'd be uncomfortable with it but at least it would show they could at least separate their professional selves from their boorish, juvenile selves.

So your creating a double standard. You said there was no harm in the girl rating and creating a power point presentation on the guys she has slept with to send amoung friends.

All these guys did was copy pictures from the company intranet site.

I am not backing up what these guys have done its wrong and they should at least get a final warning for bringing the name of the company they work for down.

So your creating a double standard. You said there was no harm in the girl rating and creating a power point presentation on the guys she has slept with to send amoung friends.

All these guys did was copy pictures from the company intranet site.

I am not backing up what these guys have done its wrong and they should at least get a final warning for bringing the name of the company they work for down.

The difference in what that girl did (who if you read over that thread I said she evidently wasn't a genius either) is that she was involved with each of them and her presentation was essentially journalling her experiences. When you have sex with a person, the expectation of privacy and respect is not the same as what you can reasonably expect in the workplace.

There is a subtle but distinct difference in this case. Those girls probably did not have any relationship with the list-makers and had not done anything to warrant that kind of objectification in the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Quite blantantly so.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Quite blantantly so.

Not blatantly so. Someone else posted about a woman who had done something similar and I said it was only right that she was forced to quit. Please read what I actually write instead of inferring your own summations.

The difference in what that girl did (who if you read over that thread I said she evidently wasn't a genius either) is that she was involved with each of them and her presentation was essentially journalling her experiences. When you have sex with a person, the expectation of privacy and respect is not the same as what you can reasonably expect in the workplace.

There is a subtle but distinct difference in this case. Those girls probably did not have any relationship with the list-makers and had not done anything to warrant that kind of objectification in the workplace.

I dont think there was any malicious intent behind it just stupid guys excited by a lot of new starts in the company

I dont think there was any malicious intent behind it just stupid guys excited by a lot of new starts in the company

I don't think that it was entirely malicious either, but can you not see the distinction I'm making here about workplace ethics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Uncomfortable with it? But you were fine when women were doing it? You're nothing but a hypocrite.

Yes I can but then you cant go saying "I'd still think it was over the line but it would have been less heinous an act", because it was a guy if your think its ok for a woman to rate men just because she slept with them and send it out in an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bermuda

I wonder what would happen if the girls impacted decide to sue the company, this would be the payout of a lifetime. jesus !

Yes I can but then you cant go saying "I'd still think it was over the line but it would have been less heinous an act", because it was a guy if your think its ok for a woman to rate men just because she slept with them and send it out in an email.

Gah, right, one more time here -- she slept with those men. I read her mock thesis thing and it was actually a personal account of things other than sex, like you might write in a diary. It was never intended for mass dissemination, unlike this email which was created solely with the intention of grading women on their physical attributes, without reference to anything other than their looks.

The insinuation that I have double standards due to gender is getting tiring now. To repeat this a final time, I have said that in the case of the woman who did the same in the workplace and was forced to quit that she absolutely should have been sacked for sexually objectifying her colleagues.

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    Uncomfortable with it? But you were fine when women were doing it? You're nothing but a hypocrite.

Excuse me, learn to bloody read! Read the post above and lay off the insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Is there a data protection issue involved here?
    Might be a major issue for PWC if their customers became concerned at this evidence of lax data security ... not to mention employing some seriously inadequate & immature staff.

I think it would be an interesting exercise if a group of gay men (surely there are some in PWC!) got together and did a similar rating exercise on the 'boys' involved in this bit of infantile behavior. I'm sure the Sun would be happy to carry it front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Sounds like a bunch of lads Just havin' the craic to me, lads will be lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 fieldstk

I agree totally with this comment. the guys deserve whatever they get from their bosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

fieldstk wrote: »
    I agree totally with this comment. the guys deserve whatever they get from their bosses.

What if there boss is female and rankings them in order of "Hotness" and sends it to everyone in the company and the press, would they deserve that? i don't think so we need to respect their privacy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Not blatantly so. Someone else posted about a woman who had done something similar and I said it was only right that she was forced to quit. Please read what I actually write instead of inferring your own summations.

Could you point out on that other thread where you described what that girl did as heinous and tacky, leaving aside whether it was business or personal email accounts it was sent from.

They are both immature wasters. IMO hers is even more tacky with respect to comments about penis size, sexual performances etc.

Gah, right, one more time here -- she slept with those men. I read her mock thesis thing and it was actually a personal account of things other than sex, like you might write in a diary. It was never intended for mass dissemination, unlike this email which was created solely with the intention of grading women on their physical attributes, without reference to anything other than their looks.

The insinuation that I have double standards due to gender is getting tiring now. To repeat this a final time, I have said that in the case of the woman who did the same in the workplace and was forced to quit that she absolutely should have been sacked for sexually objectifying her colleagues.

I say this email like the girls email was never intented to leave those on the "to" list but things happen beyond the orginals persons email that they cant control.

Best thing to do is dont send stuff that personal on any kind of email work or personal that would shame you if it got out, as once you hit send you have 0 control of the contents after that.

I say this email like the girls email was never intented to leave those on the "to" list but things happen beyond the orginals persons email that they cant control.

Best thing to do is dont send stuff that personal on any kind of email work or personal that would shame you if it got out, as once you hit send you have 0 control of the contents after that.

That is the best thing and I've already said that here.

prinz wrote: »
    Could you point out on that other thread where you described what that girl did as heinous and tacky, leaving aside whether it was business or personal email accounts it was sent from.

They are both immature wasters. IMO hers is even more tacky with respect to comments about penis size, sexual performances etc.

Perhaps. Not saying she's a bastion of virtuosity here. She's not exactly a genius to not predict something like this might happen anyway.

Just saying there's no need for the double standards and ZOMG, da hoes iz why men kill themselves and people calling her a skanky whore.

There. And IMO, we'll agree to differ her on who's worse. I don't think either guilty party in either scenario seems like anything other than a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Isn't this normal? Just they got caught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

double GG wrote: »
    Isn't this normal? Just they got caught!

boys in being boys shocker!! omg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

I worked in a company in the early 90's with about a 50/50 split of male/female and some of the women had to put up with a lot more than this including comments about their physical attributes to them in front of others and remarks about their love lives and offers of sex etc. Most of the women would tell the lads to get lost or use some other similar phrase. The worst offender by a country mile...the sales manager, a guy in his late forties.

Having said all that, the atmosphere in the place was brilliant and the staff got on very well with a great weekly social scene and well attended weekends away together, at which all sorts went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

aDeener wrote: »
    boys in being boys shocker!! omg

There have been several posts to the effect of "ah sure, boys will be boys" and the first time I heard it I thought it was a cop out but the more I hear it the more insulted I get for men.

Are you really saying that men are so controlled by their sexy time thoughts that they become incoherent and act in unprofessional manners? If I was a man I would be upset that other men assume that my libido is so out of control I can not logically deduce that doing something like this at work would be a bad idea.

Advertisement