Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obama hails Indonesia as example for world

• 10-11-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

US President Barack Obama has held up Indonesia as an example of how a developing nation can embrace democracy and diversity.

He was speaking in Jakarta on a visit to the world's largest Muslim nation.

Mr Obama said innocent people across the world were still targeted by militants but emphasised that the US was not at war with Islam.

Analysts say it is his biggest attempt to engage the Islamic world since a speech in Cairo last year.

Mr Obama was speaking at the University of Indonesia, before an audience of 6,000 people.

'Shared values'

In his address, he touched on the four years he spent in the country as a child and emphasised the importance of Indonesia's example as a growing economy and a majority-Muslim nation that is largely tolerant of other religions."Today, I return to Indonesia as a friend, but also as a president who seeks a deep and enduring partnership between our two countries," he said.

"Because as vast and diverse countries; as neighbours on either side of the Pacific; and above all as democracies - the United States and Indonesia are bound together by shared interests and shared values."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read here that Indonesia has allowed persecution of Christians. Perhaps Obama is trying to improve relations but is lying about the treatment of Christians there the right way to go about it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11723650

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

ya nice of him to return to where he's a citizen of haha , he's a shill for the NWO - i wouldnt listen to this clown for a second, he's veryy anti christian in his views and proved that with his support for the crime of abortion including partial birth abortians, leader of the free world?? dont insult my inteligence, anyone taking this song and dance man seriously is as dumb as the clowns who voted him in - in the first place!

oh and by the way do you know that in his "acceptance speach" of the "nobel peace prize" (what a complete sham that was!) he mentioned the word war 44 times...in one speach by a so called "peace maker"?!

ugh makes me puke listening to his lieas and boloney, and anyway 99% of his speaches he reads of a telepromtor what a shill he is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The NWO are Muslims now? News to me.

Anyway, yes Indonesia has a long history of persecuting pretty much everyone, including Christians. Things seem to be improving some what with still along way to go. I imagine Obama was trying to use Indonesia as an example of how the US doesn't hate Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Baggio1 wrote: »
    ya nice of him to return to where he's a citizen of haha , he's a shill for the NWO - i wouldnt listen to this clown for a second, he's veryy anti christian in his views and proved that with his support for the crime of abortion including partial birth abortians, leader of the free world?? dont insult my inteligence, anyone taking this song and dance man seriously is as dumb as the clowns who voted him in - in the first place!

oh and by the way do you know that in his "acceptance speach" of the "nobel peace prize" (what a complete sham that was!) he mentioned the word war 44 times...in one speach by a so called "peace maker"?!

ugh makes me puke listening to his lieas and boloney, and anyway 99% of his speaches he reads of a telepromtor what a shill he is..

Right on man! Also ye know the great train robbery, that was one of his. Potato famine too I bet. Pretty sure he also took the first shot at Franz Ferdinand from some kind of grassy knoll, or maybe it was a gravelly road, anyway details are unimportant, he hates Christians, and white people, but he double hates white Christians. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I know in some areas of Indonesia there have been some very nasty incidents of persecution, including Christians being beheaded.

Yet, in other parts, the climate seems to be becoming more accepting of diversity. Last week I was in Jakarta attending the opening of a friends new church building. It is a huge structure called the Mawar Saron Gereja Bethel Indonesia, and seats 10,000 comfortably. Very modern and nice - all carpet and wood panelling inside and smelt like the furniture dept of Harvey Norman. I was suprised to see something so huge in a Muslim nation.

Mawar-Saron-600px.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

woah... That's a big church...

• Advertisement
Advertisement