Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions for Portable Photo Scanner

• 10-11-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm not sure if this is best place to post this, but was just wondering if any of you had any advice re scanning old photographs. I have a HP flatbed scanner at home, but many of my older relatives are reluctant to let old photographs out of their home. My father is also very interested in family history, and would benefit from something portable that could be brought to someone's home to scan documents, but especially photographs.
    I've seen a number of portable scanners online, some of which scan directly to an SD card rather than needing to have a PC or Laptop, but would love to hear from someone who actually has used one in person. Is the quality sufficient or do you really have to use a good brand flat bed? Have any of you experienced old photos getting 'stuck' in a non flat bed version? Also, I've seen some 'batch feed' photo scanners, which are more expensive, but might be worth it for speed alone. Has anyone used one of these and found it good quality that you would recommend? I don't really mind spending some money on one, but would need the images to be good (at least good enough to print again at same size of equal quality).
    All advice welcome!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be very wary about putting old photos in a feeder scanner, especially if the owners are paranoid about them being damaged; and i suspect some might be a bit old and brittle.

regarding being able to print again at the same size and same quality - essentially you're talking about a perfect reproduction, which a consumer scanner will not give you.
    granted, a bit of processing for recovering faded colour prints or removing stains will count in your favour.

do you have a laptop? i suspect laptop and flatbed visiting these peoples homes is the best option. either that or gain their trust in some way.

Advertisement