Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Trial

Options
  • 10-11-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I'm looking at getting a Cannon EOS 60D but I'd like to have a hands on with one for a day or two before I make the plunge. Are there any places in Ireland (Dublin preferably) that allow trials of cameras?

Preferably with a returnable deposit or low cost rental.

I've had a pretty annoying experience with a video camera I bought a year ago that had horrible interlacing issues which took me ages to sort out and I'd like to avoid any headaches like that if I'm sinking the cash for a semipro DSLR.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Conn's will rent you one I believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

if you rent anything with Conns and then buy it they take the price of the rental of the retail price

Borderfox wrote: »
    if you rent anything with Conns and then buy it they take the price of the rental of the retail price

Not planning on renting anything off anyone, but I assume to avail of that, you'd need to buy it upon returning it to the shop (ie; there could be no gap between the rental and purchase)?

not too sure on the t&c KKV, this is what they told me regarding lights/camera bodies/lenses

Ah right. No I was just curious to see how they'd work it.

Is it worthwhile renting stuff, though? I'd imagine it's fairly expensive? Unless it was something you wanted for a one-off, and knew you wouldnt use it again, would you not be best suited to just save money for whatever it is your gonna buy (especially in the case of camera bodies, as most people on here always seem willing to let other people try their stuff out, anyway)?

• Advertisement

Is it worthwhile renting stuff, though? I'd imagine it's fairly expensive? Unless it was something you wanted for a one-off, and knew you wouldnt use it again, would you not be best suited to just save money for whatever it is your gonna buy (especially in the case of camera bodies, as most people on here always seem willing to let other people try their stuff out, anyway)?

For some jobs I will include the rental in the quote, theres a lot of stuff I'm not going to buy but need them for one off jobs lights/modifiers/cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Conns will allow your rental price to go against a purchase and it does not need to be straight after rental is finished..... you can use it anytime within a couple of weeks ...or maybe a month or two afterwards.

Ask them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

After checking out their site it does seem to be quite expensive. The camera with the cheapest compatible lense costs €1200 and renting in that bracket from conns costs €100 for a day or €250 for a week. Basically rent it for 5 weeks and you've payed more than the cost of the camera!

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Conns will allow your rental price to go against a purchase and it does not need to be straight after rental is finished..... you can use it anytime within a couple of weeks ...or maybe a month or two afterwards.

Ask them !!

That is really good actually but €100+ is a big enough investment on the off chance that I might not want to purchase it. I'd probably want to rent it for the week but Paying €250 for a trial is crazy for a student. With that money I could buy a PS3 or live in a crappy apartment for a month!

Thanks for all the help guys =D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Buying into a high end DSLR is also expensive. You will unlikely be satisfied with just the body and kit lens.

If a shop were to allow you to "borrow" a camera like that for a while and then you don't buy it they then have used stock to sell at a reduced price, so they are unlikely to do that. Very few places rent out gear, with Conns being one of the exceptions, but you have to pay for that service. It is free if you then buy the camera from them, so that is cheap enough. If you don't then €100 - €250 is not as expensive as being lumbered with a camera you don't want and would about the discount you would expect when buying a demonstration model.

You do have to realise that some people would go into a shop and "trial" a camera then use it for a specific task before returning it saying it's not really what they want. This way they get to use a top end camera for a while with no cost. Now this is probably not your intention but when you are a poor student you would have to forgive someone considering this possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'd probably want to rent it for the week but Paying €250 for a trial is crazy for a student. With that money I could buy a PS3 or live in a crappy apartment for a month!

You should drop into the stores and tell them this... I'm sure they'll take your reservations onboards and will be sympathetic to your cause... maybe they'll offer to throw in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' as part of the deal as a sweetner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

I know why the service is there and costs so much. My point was just that I was hoping for a lower price. I'm not complaining that they offer the service and since this camera is bordering on semi-pro it's not that unreasonable a cost. I was just mentioning that I can't afford to take the risk.

Advertisement