Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for mexican ingredients

Options
  • 10-11-2010 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Does anyone know where in Dublin I could find different types of chillies, ancho and guajillo specifically, and corn tortilla flour? I can get the chillies in dried form in Fallon and Byrne but ideally I'd like them fresh. The flour I haven't found anywhere, lots of places have polenta flour and the asian market has white maize flour but that makes odd looking tortillas. I've looked in a few asian places with little success, but don't really know where else to look.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've bought corn flour in Fallon & Byrne!

Try Taco Taco in the Epicurean, they have some ingredients too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I believe this place http://www.azteca.ie/ sells Mexican ingredients too, as well as apparently doing some great Mexican cookery classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭techieelectric

I asked in Fallon and Byrne about the corn flour and they said they often had it but not at the moment, neither do Taco Taco I'm afraid, they sell some salsas and stuff but no raw ingredients.

Ha, yeah I'm looking for the ingredients because I did a class in Cafe Azteca, I'm not entirely certain but it seemed you had to place an order there rather than them having it in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lord Panic

No need to place an order, Azteca usually have a pretty good range of things in stock..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm almost sure I've seen corn flour in Avoca... the same pack as the one I got in F&B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sure all the supermarkets (except Aldi / Lidl) have corn flour these days? Asian shops should have it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i recently got corn flour in the hopsack, the little health food shop in the swan centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On this topic, does anyone know where you can buy tomatillos in Dublin at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

i got corn flour in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sparks wrote: »
    On this topic, does anyone know where you can buy tomatillos in Dublin at all?

That will be a toughie.

i got some last year at a farmers market in Cork (roast tomatillo sauce Yummmmm!!!! :p:p) but he didn't have any this year - said they just didn't grow.
    Must try and get some seeds next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wasn't even thinking that fresh ones could be found, if I could find even tinned ones I'd be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tinned tomatillos aren't worth sh1te. They're in brine and they end up with a texture all the world like jellyfish, all briney blobbyness and BLECH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

i got corn flour in tesco

Don't get confused between english and american terms.

What they call "cornflour" we call "cornmeal" - it is usually yellow.

Our "cornflour", is what they call "cornstarch". It's a fine white powder that is mixed with liquid and used to thicken sauces, etc.

Follow this link and the further links within:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornflour

If you're making tortillas here you want cornmeal or they're not going to work very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

The best place for getting mexican ingredients is The Cool Chile Company -

They have all the ingredients you could ever need for making stews, moles, chilis, fajitas, burritos etc etc

They charge for delivery but if you order a good few items it's well worth it.

As for Fallon & Byrne.... they sell cool chile products but charge excessively! Compare the prices from the website and in F&B....it's insulting!

I was looking for chioptle chillies to make chipotle en adobo and even allowing for shipping - the total price online was less than half of that in F&B.

On a side note, check out Thomasina Miers 'Mexican Food' - a great book!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭BaileyPants

trackguy wrote: »
    The best place for getting mexican ingredients is The Cool Chile Company -

They have all the ingredients you could ever need for making stews, moles, chilis, fajitas, burritos etc etc

They charge for delivery but if you order a good few items it's well worth it.

As for Fallon & Byrne.... they sell cool chile products but charge excessively! Compare the prices from the website and in F&B....it's insulting!

I was looking for chioptle chillies to make chipotle en adobo and even allowing for shipping - the total price online was less than half of that in F&B.

On a side note, check out Thomasina Miers 'Mexican Food' - a great book!

I saw her show on tv and as I already love Mexican food, I am now totally inspired to try the more authentic ingredients in cooking, which is how I came across this thread. Thanks a mil for the info! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 prosarch

Does anyone know where in Dublin I could find different types of chillies, ancho and guajillo specifically, and corn tortilla flour? I can get the chillies in dried form in Fallon and Byrne but ideally I'd like them fresh. The flour I haven't found anywhere, lots of places have polenta flour and the asian market has white maize flour but that makes odd looking tortillas. I've looked in a few asian places with little success, but don't really know where else to look.

Thanks,
    Daniel

You can get Masa-harina & dried chilies though Almacen Latino website. They are Irish based too.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭BaileyPants

Tinned tomatillos aren't worth sh1te. They're in brine and they end up with a texture all the world like jellyfish, all briney blobbyness and BLECH.

Any idea where you'd get fresh ones?!

Advertisement