Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subscription to magazine or buying a book

• 10-11-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

True, it's a tad bit early to be talking about presents and all that but I'm just curious about this one. The OH tends to read Digital Photographer quite a bit but a subscription of 13 issues will set me back £70, which is whatever in euro. Personally, I always have a feeling that a lot of the stuff that's printed in these can be got quite easily online and is glossed over quite a bit, I dunno. You could probably say the same for books too. But if you were to pick between the two, which would you opt for? And what books would you spend the £70 on?

They're into fashion photography btw and already own Unseen "Vogue"...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Maybe you can get a few specific books by different photographers and their work (as in non technical), they could serve as a form of inspiration?

Then again - since he reads the magazine every time anyway, it surely would be a good prezzie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

She :)

Cheers. But then again I don't know which photographers to be on the lookout for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I got a present of a years subscription to a photography magazine a couple of years ago.

Worst. Present. Ever!

You'd be shocked at how often the same information is regurgitated in these magazines over the course of a year. By the end of my subscription I wasn't even removing them from their wrapping anymore.

I think they promote lazy photographic practices and are basically just a way getting you to look at lots of advertising.

I'd recommend, "The Photographer Eye" by Michael Freeman and "Within The Frame" by David duChemin

"Within The Frame" is particularly good.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm disliking the idea of giving someone a magazine sub. Don't think I really like to receive one myself tbh :D

I'll keep those recommended books in mind, thanks!

Btw, just had a look at the two you suggested - are they still worthwhile to the fashion photographer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Renn wrote: »
    Btw, just had a look at the two you suggested - are they still worthwhile to the fashion photographer?

I don't see why not. Although the two authors are essentially travel photographers, the concepts discussed in the books apply to any style of photography really.

If they're really into fashion photography, maybe a book/tutorial DVD on lighting and posing would be more up their street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

If she's really interested in fashion photography, it'd probably be a good idea to get her this book by Richard Avedon if she doesn't already have it. If you want more ideas for books there are plenty of recommendations on that Amazon page, too.

Can anyone tell me if these would be suitable for a fashion photographer? Clearly out of my depth here!

The Photographer's Eye

Within the Frame

And thanks charybdis, I'll be picking that one up I'd say.

All those links are Amazon, just make sure you check bookdepository.co.uk too for pricing and such.

Might save a few Euro. Would also recommend books over magazines.

Oh yeah, cheers. I have checked and they are cheaper over there :)

But I'm still not sure if they're right for someone into fashion photography :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

to me if you're buying a book on photography, buy a book of a great photographer, not a book about lighting setups or any kind of manual. Great inspiration is so much better than reading technical books

i would learn far more from this kind of book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanity-Fair-Portraits-Century-Iconic/dp/0810972980/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289773881&sr=1-1

or this (though some of his stuff is a little abstract)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nick-Knight/dp/0061714577/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289773933&sr=1-1

and one of my favourites of all my photographic books
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnum-Brigitte-Lardinois/dp/0500543666/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289774062&sr=1-2

and if you really love them:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/383651477X/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Don't mean to hijack the thread, OP, but does anyone know of any book/s out there of photgraphers that are just of stories?

I can't remember who it was on here (the user whose avatar is of him holding an apple in front of his face, I think. Username escapes me), but he made a thread asking for advice on shooting a fashion show. Anyway, the thread went on a few posts and he posted again detailing his experience of what happened. Pretty much, it all turned out a disaster for him, apparently (though he did post some fairly nice shots if memory serves me right).

Anyway, just his recapping of the events, the things that went great, that went wrong, etc. I really thought it was one of the best posts on the photography forum in a long, long time. It was just great to read about his experience trying something new and how it all went good/bad for him and what he looked for first, how he interacted with people, etc.

Are there any books out there like that? Just a compilation of stories where things go great or terrible and how it all ended up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dazed and confused or id for a sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

If you have not already purchased the books there is an extra 10% off at the book depository for Irish shoppers. Its in the bargin alert forum here.

I have Pro digital fashion photography and found it quite good. I also have The Fashion Photography Course and it is good but not as good as the first one. Both could be considered a bit basic depending on how long she has been shooting.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, OP, but does anyone know of any book/s out there of photgraphers that are just of stories?

I can't remember who it was on here (the user whose avatar is of him holding an apple in front of his face, I think. Username escapes me), but he made a thread asking for advice on shooting a fashion show. Anyway, the thread went on a few posts and he posted again detailing his experience of what happened. Pretty much, it all turned out a disaster for him, apparently (though he did post some fairly nice shots if memory serves me right).

Anyway, just his recapping of the events, the things that went great, that went wrong, etc. I really thought it was one of the best posts on the photography forum in a long, long time. It was just great to read about his experience trying something new and how it all went good/bad for him and what he looked for first, how he interacted with people, etc.

Are there any books out there like that? Just a compilation of stories where things go great or terrible and how it all ended up.

Bump for this actually!

Advertisement