Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sarah Palin Hints at Presidential Run

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

EastTexas wrote: »

Do you then contend IYHO that Sarah Palin would have enjoyed the same or equal success in Europe as in upward mobility with the same effort, at least to the Governorship?

That's a non-question.

She would have got nowhere in politics in Europe as we are smart enough to see through her folksy-hockey-mom shtick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If shes does get elected hopefully she can bring the US even closer to it's longtime friend and ally North Korea. :pac:

The taught of her anywhere near presidency and the power she will have frankly scares the shít out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭EastTexas

RMD wrote: »
    If shes does get elected hopefully she can bring the US even closer to it's longtime friend and ally North Korea. :pac:

The taught of her anywhere near presidency and the power she will have frankly scares the shít out of me.

No worries, that’s about as likely as for a horse to take up knitting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

No problem
    I neither expect nor need you to “get” my posts. :)

Do you then contend IYHO that Sarah Palin would have enjoyed the same or equal success in Europe as in upward mobility with the same effort, at least to the Governorship?

Considering that the chancellor of Europe's most powerful country is the daughter of a pastor who started her career as a scientist, I would say that a woman from a humble, non-political background can reach higher office in Europe.

Would Sarah Palin get elected? Hell no.

Well, maybe in Italy. ;)

Considering that the chancellor of Europe's most powerful country is the daughter of a pastor who started her career as a scientist, I would say that a woman from a humble, non-political background can reach higher office in Europe.

Would Sarah Palin get elected? Hell no.

Well, maybe in Italy. ;)

Never mind the “appointed” Chancellor of Germany.
    Appointment mechanism
    Elected by secret ballot in the Bundestag/ 622 members, but not elected by the people/voters around 80 million.
    Unlike the American voter, the German voter has to make do with whoever the political elite 622 member decide for them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chancellor_of_Germany_%28Federal_Republic%29#Appointment_mechanism
    I can’t believe you conflate two so vastly different political systems.

Her politics and policies are very unpopular in Germany since they mostly serve German cooperation, bragging about their record profits in shiny statistic at the expense of the people.
    If those 80 million Germans had a say so via vote, they most certainly would not vote for her.
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/01/13/she-cant-seem-to-get-it-right/
    All aside of the fact that many of Germany’s fellow EU countries have not fared very well either under that “ influence”.
    You have put the wrong person on a pedestal here in more ways than one.

Back to topic
    I did not limit my question to elections but asked whether you thought that Sarah Palin would be as successful in Europe as she is in the US, this question pertaining to upward mobility.

Whether the same opportunities would be open to her and her family to make their life happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Appointment mechanism
    Elected by secret ballot in the Bundestag/ 622 members, but not elected by the people/voters around 80 million.
    Unlike the American voter, the German voter has to make do with whoever the political elite 622 member decide for them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chancellor_of_Germany_%28Federal_Republic%29#Appointment_mechanism

Her politics and policies are very unpopular in Germany since they mostly serve German cooperation, bragging about their record profits in shiny statistic at the expense of the people.
    If those 80 million Germans had a say so via vote, they most certainly would not vote for her.
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/01/13/she-cant-seem-to-get-it-right/
    All aside of the fact that many of Germany’s fellow EU countries have not fared very well either under that “ influence”.
    You have put the wrong person on a pedestal here in more ways than one.

Back to topic
    I did not limit my question to elections but asked whether you thought that Sarah Palin would be as successful in Europe as she is in the US, this question pertaining to upward mobility.

Whether the same opportunities would be open to her and her family to make their life happen?

And the OECD link I prodived above suggests that her family's economic mobility would be greater in most Western European countries, especially those with large welfare states, than in the US.

As for Germany, it is absurd to dismiss Angela Merkel as "appointed". In a parliamentary system, the head of government is not directly elected by the population. And in those countries (like Ireland) where the head of state is directly elected, they have little to no real power. Angela Merkel is the head of her party, an elected official from her district, and governs with the consent of a coalition that was directly elected. She is the most powerful politician in Germany and in in Europe. To discount her as an example of European social mobility is ridiculous.

You have an unfortunate tendency to change the subject and/or the goalposts when confronted with clear, direct evidence that what you are saying is simply not true. The data on economic and social mobility in Europe versus the US is quite clear, and the electoral experiences of female politicians in Europe suggests that it is possible to reach top political office without coming from a political dynasty or having a wealthy background. The current president of Ireland, Mary McAllese, is a clear example of this.

Appointment mechanism

More lies.

Merkel is elected to her district-by the people-, and is then subsequently elected-by representatives who themselves have been elected-to the Chancellorship.

You are showing yourself to be an exceptionally ill-informed person.

Oh, and I know you will ignore this as the truth hurts you so much. :)

And the OECD link I prodived above suggests that her family's economic mobility would be greater in most Western European countries, especially those with large welfare states, than in the US.

As for Germany, it is absurd to dismiss Angela Merkel as "appointed". In a parliamentary system, the head of government is not directly elected by the population. And in those countries (like Ireland) where the head of state is directly elected, they have little to no real power. Angela Merkel is the head of her party, an elected official from her district, and governs with the consent of a coalition that was directly elected. She is the most powerful politician in Germany and in in Europe. To discount her as an example of European social mobility is ridiculous.

You have an unfortunate tendency to change the subject and/or the goalposts when confronted with clear, direct evidence that what you are saying is simply not true. The data on economic and social mobility in Europe versus the US is quite clear, and the electoral experiences of female politicians in Europe suggests that it is possible to reach top political office without coming from a political dynasty or having a wealthy background. The current president of Ireland, Mary McAllese, is a clear example of this.

If you’re unclear about the German political and election system, you can also google it as there is much information.
    Changing the goal post?
    Hello, who brought up the German Chancellor? :)

Your link to the French organizing OECD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_for_Economic_Co-operation_and_Development
    Provides little to the topic or my question to you about Sarah Palin.
    Upward mobility is also dependant on values, preferences and lifestyles of any given culture and geography in a particular country.
    For example Germany offers plenty of cheep beer, milk and food but sports 2000, - plus for a driver’s license and 8,- a gallon gas.
    Where we in the states we pay more for food, milk and alcohol, but even the poorest schmuck can get a driver’s license for around 40, - and around 3, - gas.
    It would be safe to say that the average American considers independent transportation to be more important to upward mobility than cheep food and alcohol.

It’s not a question of what is better or Europe vs the US but what individual people or voters prioritize depending on their environment and goals.
    The access to the tools they need to gain their upward mobility.

And you don’t have to answer the ON Topic question.
    No answer is also an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

More lies.

Merkel is elected to her district-by the people-, and is then subsequently elected-by representatives who themselves have been elected-to the Chancellorship.

You are showing yourself to be an exceptionally ill-informed person.

Oh, and I know you will ignore this as the truth hurts you so much. :)
    This is veering into personal abuse. Less of that.

If you’re unclear about the German political and election system, you can also google it as there is much information.
    Changing the goal post?
    Hello, who brought up the German Chancellor? :)

Your link to the French organizing OECD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_for_Economic_Co-operation_and_Development
    Provides little to the topic or my question to you about Sarah Palin.
    Upward mobility is also dependant on values, preferences and lifestyles of any given culture and geography in a particular country.
    For example Germany offers plenty of cheep beer, milk and food but sports 2000, - plus for a driver’s license and 8,- a gallon gas.
    Where we in the states we pay more for food, milk and alcohol, but even the poorest schmuck can get a driver’s license for around 40, - and around 3, - gas.
    It would be safe to say that the average American considers independent transportation to be more important to upward mobility than cheep food and alcohol.

It’s not a question of what is better or Europe vs the US but what individual people or voters prioritize depending on their environment and goals.
    The access to the tools they need to gain their upward mobility.

And you don’t have to answer the ON Topic question.
    No answer is also an answer.

What part of the German electoral system have either SSR or I got wrong?

On another note, is anyone else even able to read this mumbo jumbo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

On another note, is anyone else even able to read this mumbo jumbo?

No it was all malformed sentences and gobbledegook to me too.

Advertisement