Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rehydrating after a spin

• 10-11-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Ok, this thread has nothing to do with coffee...
    I started cycling in May and I spent most of the summer doing 30 to 40km spins with the occasional 55 or 60km Sunday spin. I have recently done a 70km and 65km spin and I am now doing Sunday morning club spins. I bring 2 750ml bottles of orange cordial mixed with water and then I usually drink a few pints of water when I get home. However, I have noticed that I get a dull headache later in the day sometimes. A friend said it might be something to do with salt levels being depleted and I may need to take electrolyte gels. Is this right? If so, what are the best ones to use and are there any natural alternatives?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Sounds like a sugar crash.
    Here is a suggestion for your next 80Km spin.
    Drink a pint of water before your breakfast.
    Put 2 teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of salt in your 750ml bottle.
    One bottle should be enough for an 80Km flat spin.
    Eat a banana half way through the spin.
    Take a protein drink with milk as soon as you get home or if you don't like that stuff make up a tuna or chicken sandwich or two.
    Have your main meal as soon as you can afterwards.
    A little cat nap is great if you have the time or even lie down and rest your eyes for a few minutes if you feel tired.
    As you get fitter you will get more comfortable with the distance and effort and those symptoms will disappear. And lots of little things that you do now might seem and effort but quickly become routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Drinking any fluids during or after a spin will only replace mosture lost through your mouth and nose. Since you lose the greater bulk of water through your skin by perspiration it needs to be replaced in the same way. After each spin you should fill a bath with tepid water (about 26 degrees) and add salt as required. Lying in the bath for 3-4 hours will restore your water-balance via osmosis.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Morgan wrote: »
    Drinking any fluids during or after a spin will only replace mosture lost through your mouth and nose. Since you lose the greater bulk of water through your skin by perspiration it needs to be replaced in the same way. After each spin you should fill a bath with tepid water (about 26 degrees) and add salt as required. Lying in the bath for 3-4 hours will restore your water-balance via osmosis.

Is it April fools day ;) Lying in a bath for 3-4 hours.... who has 3 to 4 hours to spend in a bath :o

Not been smart but maybe its only me, but I would think most people wouldn't have much time to be spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

That's 4 hours in the tub and 3 on the bike and prob a wee nap for an hour. Just put a ZYM electrolite tab in your bottle and you'll save at least 5 hours.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Morgan wrote: »
    I thought an ice bath was necessary after strenuous exercise. Should I jump in an ice bath first and then the tepid bath?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

paddyduc wrote: »
    That's 4 hours in the tub and 3 on the bike and prob a wee nap for an hour. Just put a ZYM electrolite tab in your bottle and you'll save at least 5 hours.:D

The Diorlyte tablets have solved the headaches for me, suffered from them after each 3 hour spin (not bath time ;) ) and was told to take a Diorlyte sachet in water after.

Its also A1 to stop a hang over :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

+ 1
    You'll get a box of Diorlayte sachets(16.._) in any Chemist for €8,really handy for rehydrating during or after a long spin...AND if taken the night of a few beers youll NEVER again have a hangover :)

I used to get really bad headaches after a long spin 130km + , despite taking on quiet a lot of water and isotnic drinks during these spins. Since i started using the dioralyte I havent had any reoccurence of the headaches..

yop wrote: »
    The Diorlyte tablets have solved the headaches for me, suffered from them after each 3 hour spin (not bath time ;) ) and was told to take a Diorlyte sachet in water after.

Its also A1 to stop a hang over :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

For after cycle hydration and general recovery I use Nutrition X RAM. The best stuff on the market for football, rugby, cycling etc... Its expensive but brilliant. Try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll skip the 3 or 4 hour bath but I'll try the Dioralyte this weekend. I think I spotted the ZYM electrolyte tablets in a local tri shop recently so might give them as go at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

It's calories you need, not hydration!

You don't say what you're eating but you're certainly drinking enough water and unless you're sweating like a pig (unlikely in this climate) you should be fine for electrolytes too.

A 70km spin will burn up about 2500 calories, maybe a 1000 from body fat and the balance using up your probable entire carb body reserves. If you don't replace at least some of that you will get a splitting headache (I know I do). Ideally take some simple carbs (energy drink,glucose,fruit) while cycling or eat a sandwich immediately after.

If, like me, you prefer to consume your calories as tasty food and drink rather than expensive, tasteless goo, go for shorter, more frequent, spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Well I bought a pack of 20 sachets of Dioralyte in Boots yesterday for €8.80. They are blackcurrant flavour. The pharmacist asked me if I was going away travelling so I explained that I was getting dull headaches after cycling. He said Dioralyte was fine. I eat a decent breakfast before I head off and I usually eat a banana or muesli bar during the spin. I then eat a decent lunch wen I get home.
    So I tried the Dioralyte yesterday and I felt perfect. I may try the recovery drinks or ZYM stuff another time.

Advertisement