Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're digging up the road again, and again, and....

Options
  • 10-11-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Last week it was John Street, the week before that it was Market Street, the week before that it was Castle Street, and today there was at least 3 seperate holes on O'Connell Street, at this point the whole lot is looking like a patchwork quilt. Any ideas whats going on.

Now I know they cant close all the roads at the same time, but when they do close one, cant they arrange all the utilities to come in at the same time, rather than the same stretch of road being closed again a month or two later. Also, how about an advance warning the road is closed, when John Street was closed, there was no warnng that I could see that it was closed till you got as far as the safety barrier causing drivers to negoatiate half the town again.

O'Connell Street was closed to traffic, they then reopened it with random bollards, patches of red paint and last week cycle racks, all of which will surely occur a cost as well to replace or relay after the hole is filled.

Another example of this doing a half job appears to be on the Bundoran road heading out of the town, the whole section of road was relayed bar the hashed markings down the centre.

Now call me crazy, but are they just trying to spend whats left of this years budget doing half hashed jobs here and there incase they dont get the full amount next year?

Rant over (breaths)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

irish-stew wrote: »
    Now call me crazy, but are they just trying to spend whats left of this years budget doing half hashed jobs here and their incase they dont get the full amount next year?

Rant over (breaths)

No your not going crazy!! Noticed it myself, roadworks going on everywhere.

Part of the reason this country is in the state its in is people doing pointless work that makes no sense just so they will get their budget or not get landed with work that could be slightly harder.

Everyone can see the wastage that goes on in this country. Its gonna have to change soon

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

are they just trying to spend whats left of this years budget doing half hashed jobs here and their incase they dont get the full amount next year?

It would appear so, yes.

Apparently when theyre done in Rathcormack Cliffoney is going to be dug up next. Tis a nice 20-40 minutes each way added on to the journey each way in the morn i must say, that is if you dont know the back roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

They're digging up the road.
    Their denotes that object which belongs to them, whomever they may be.
    They're, that is to say, they are, would be the correct grammar in this case.

Their: personal effects.
    They're: present tense of the plural indicative.

I've acquired ninety-nine predicaments, of which a wench is not one.

Raise your hands skyward and flail them about unconcernedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

;)

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the grammar police are out in force:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lawl,hope that wasn't serious.
    Ya,noticed a good bit of it happening irish-stew. Thank god I'm not there to sit in the traffic everyday.

greetings wrote: »
    Ya,noticed a good bit of it happening irish-stew. Thank god I'm not there to sit in the traffic everyday.

I dont usually drive in town, but one night a few weeks had to change direction 2 or 3 times as each of those routes I tried to take it was 'road closed, access only'. Not once did I see diversion or suggested route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Now call me crazy

Ok - You're Crazy :pac:

They are doing the same on the Sligo - Ballina road also, two sets of traffic lights on way there and I got stuck on the wrong side of both, grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Seem to be doing a half arsed job in skreen and beltra too, skreen has been without road markings or cats eyes for at least a week now and there's no sign of them being done soon, they seem to be taking their time about it in beltra too. :rolleyes: Iv 3 sets of road works to get through every day to get to work, hope to god they don't start doing cliffoney then that'l be 4. Same story every year. :rolleyes:

After the weather last year one particular stretch in templeboy was in absolute bits last year with craters all over the place, took them months to finally fix and now their digging up roads left right and centre which weren't actually that bad to begin with.

Ok - You're Crazy :pac:

They are doing the same on the Sligo - Ballina road also, two sets of traffic lights on way there and I got stuck on the wrong side of both, grrr.

Most pointless lights in Sligo must be the ones at St Mary's at the top of Kevinsfort Heath

• Advertisement

greetings wrote: »
    Most pointless lights in Sligo must be the ones at St Mary's at the top of Kevinsfort Heath

Not sure about lights, but definatly a nomination for most pointless road unless they develop it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Even in the highwinds today they are putting up cones and digging up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The signs on the road they have been digging up and re-filling everyday for a couple of months near me are flying around everywhere at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

They seem to be replacing all the roads where the new cameras are going!!
    Making them nice and smooth like a racing track when you zoom past the unmarked van at 120kph!!

Can't speak for anyone elses area but what was wrong with the road in Rathcormac (bar where the new islands are) or Drumcliffe is beyond me.

They should literally just bury the money under the new roads while they're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

MikeySligo wrote: »
    They seem to be replacing all the roads where the new cameras are going!!
    Making them nice and smooth like a racing track when you zoom past the unmarked van at 120kph!!

Can't speak for anyone elses area but what was wrong with the road in Rathcormac (bar where the new islands are) or Drumcliffe is beyond me.

They should literally just bury the money under the new roads while they're at it.

There was a poor surface in Drumcliffe from the bridge to the Carney turnoff.
    Rathcormac was fine, as you say, but I am told that several council staff live in the area which would also explain the ludricrous speed limit on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They're doing road works up at the lights by Markievicz Park.. and cars going up past them on Pearse Road on the left-hand side of the road (Rathanna side) have to mount the footpath. For fecks sake!

Was going down Gallows Hill tonight and towards the bottom they have a sign up "DO NOT PASS". Would have nice to be told that up at Caltragh roundabout where I might have been able to go a different route. I had to try to turn with other cars about 4 inches behind me.

I've given up waiting for the temp lights to go green in Caltragh, I go on when it's safe.

Fair enough it's hard work, and in s*ite weather too, but they're not the only ones trying to get work done. Less leaning on shovels and more signed diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've given up waiting for the temp lights to go green in Caltragh, I go on when it's safe.
    Yep.. was going up that way on Friday night and was stuck waiting on the hill for those lights.

The guts of 2 minutes waiting at that stop light, and not one car came down the hill from the Centra side! :mad:

It makes it even worse when you have a car full of floor tiles and kids, trying to do a hill start with a car behind you, and you keep stalling - and the workers start falling about laughing at you. :p

I have also done it with car loads of 8' planks of wood and my 6'4" father in the boot. I am the source of much amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It makes it even worse when you have a car full of floor tiles and kids, trying to do a hill start with a car behind you, and you keep stalling - and the workers start falling about laughing at you. :p

Are these the same workers who couldn't fill in a pothole too save their lives I wonder? Well they can laugh.

• Advertisement

Are these the same workers who couldn't fill in a pothole too save their lives I wonder? Well they can laugh.

Yup. About 4 metres from the roadworks that have been going on for months are 2 potholes that make me swear everytime I drive up the hill. I am considering bringing a bag of gravel or something and getting the kids to chuck a bit out every time we pass.

Instead of moaning here I should moan at them, before I lose a couple of tyres.

Yup. About 4 metres from the roadworks that have been going on for months are 2 potholes that make me swear everytime I drive up the hill. I am considering bringing a bag of gravel or something and getting the kids to chuck a bit out every time we pass.

Instead of moaning here I should moan at them, before I lose a couple of tyres.

I could probably do a better job with some hay than they do with some cement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

This will all change :rolleyes:
    "The Taoiseach also defended the Croke Park Agreement, saying it could transform work practices in the public services." http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyqlididojsn/

I always understood transform to mean "change completely". So these guys won't just fill in potholes immediately but will give you a push up the hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

God knows when they will finish the roadworks in Skreen. The road was perfectly fine before you decided to dig it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

I have also done it with car loads of 8' planks of wood and my 6'4" father in the boot. I am the source of much amusement.

Would you not let your father in the front, show some respect will ya.

Would you not let your father in the front, show some respect will ya.

He prefers it in there. With my granny.

Oh, I reckon WE ARE BEING WATCHED! One pothole filled this morning! The other one, a foot away was obviously a stretch too far for the boys.

Advertisement