Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur Morgan will not contest next election.

Options
  • 10-11-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

The Sinn Féin TD for Louth, Arthur Morgan, has announced that he will not be seeking re-election at the next general election.

Deputy Morgan said last night he was stepping out of politics because he had left a family business to run for the Dáil, and now wanted to go back into business.

First elected to the Dáil in 2002 Deputy Morgan retained his seat in the 2007 general election.

He is currently Sinn Féin's Spokesperson on Finance, Enterprise and Trade.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sfs-morgan-to-bow-out-of-politics-481187.html#ixzz14sfX8AQy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Going back to fishing eh? No loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think his reasons are a bit fishy (pun not intended). That said, I'll be glad to see the back of him. He muscled in on everything and took the limelight any chance he got- even if not deserved.

No loss indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Will Ye No Come Back Again to the Nature & Bird Watching Forum? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I think his reasons are a bit fishy (pun not intended). That said, I'll be glad to see the back of him. He muscled in on everything and took the limelight any chance he got- even if not deserved.

Where/when or how did he muscle in,and on what?

In a poorly represented constituency he is well above his peers.
    I for one dont want my local TD to be so fecked up in goverment rhetoric that he avoids any conact with the people that elected him, or one that sits back on his Ceann Choraile positiion so much that he is off he radar in Louth and will prob never have to face the electorate in Louth ever again.

Morgan is a voice,he"s for the common person, and whoever takes over from him has a very high mark to reach to match his abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

FROM AH THIS MORNING

realies wrote:
    Sinn Féin President, Gerry Adams, is expected to announce today that he wants to be the party's candidate in the Louth constituency for the next General Election.

Mr Adams is expected to confirm his plans at a republican commemoration event in Co Louth this afternoon.

During the week Sinn Féin's sitting TD in the Louth constituency, 56-year-old Arthur Morgan, announced that he would be stepping down at the next election to concentrate on his family business.
    62-year-old Mr Adams, Sinn Féin's best-known figure, is a member of Northern Ireland's Assembly and an MP at Westminster where Sinn Féin has an abstentionist policy.
    Securing the party nomination in Louth is expected be a formality.
    Once that is done Mr Adams is likely to resign his West Belfast Assembly seat to concentrate on the Louth contest in the next Dáil election.
    The constituency's other TDs are Seamus Kirk and Dermot Ahern of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael's Fergus O Dowd.
    In the last two elections Mr Morgan got the fourth and final seat with around 15% of the first preference vote

What do you think his chances are of holding that seat for sinn fein,and will it make any difference to them in there support down here.

What do ye think of that? :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I hope whoever takes his seat has a better Dail attendance. Figures published earlier this year showed he'd attended only around 33% of the sittings, one of the poorest showings in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

to busy doing real work than to be sitting in the dail scratching his ar5e real put in an effort and is probably resigning because they closed hospital

If his vote and his presence in the Dail was a waste of his time what was the point in running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭silkworm53

Will Gerry get red paint thrown over him?

silkworm53, I've already deleted one of your posts in this thread. Either contribute in a sensible fashion or don't post at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think Gerry could be an excellent TD. Bar any damning revelations he will get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Donegal will be taken by Sinn Fein for obvious reasons , Morgan did not have the clout in Louth ..so it was General Gerry who sent him on a sabbatical , jumping into Morgans place and using a pincer movement to try capture another county in his bid to redraw the Ulster Border .

The Battle of the Boyne is on again , A Labour candidate must be found to take Dundalk as there is no voice for business in the town itself , Drogheda stand firm and get an Independent on the side of Labour to clobber any Fin-gals in Co Dublin . The rest of you award yourselves a medal if you can get tickets to the P.Ks Frontline on Mondays

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Donegal will be taken by Sinn Fein for obvious reasons , Morgan did not have the clout in Louth ..so it was General Gerry who sent him on a sabbatical , jumping into Morgans place and using a pincer movement to try capture another county in his bid to redraw the Ulster Border .
    I have no idea what you are on about here. Morgans seat was very secure, he drew a huge number of transfers, and he could have expected to make significant gains. Morgan intends to take a step back and focus on his family business. No one would begrudge him doing that, after all he spent the guts of a decade as a political prisoner, taking part in the various protests. However, he is simply stepping down as a TD, he is not retiring, or even leaving SF, he will still be very much active. So, you are wrong, he very much "did have the clout" in fact it is very telling that the only man who could replace him was Gerry Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Okay then ,,,,, I'll change my opinion to a light hearted view of Morgans stepping down and his replacement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I think Gerry could be an excellent TD. Bar any damning revelations he will get my vote.

a-gerry-brother.jpg

TommyT wrote: »
    a-gerry-brother.jpg

Aww the little people have started early!!

Get Gerry the poll topper before he takes Dermy down,the wee man from the rock that voted in hospital closures and the bank bail out.

And the annonomymous man from Knockbridge, An Ceann Choraile ,who participated with him in voting for every policy that will leave us all poor,you poor and your children and your childrens children poor.

And the Fine Gael man from the South county who said F*** all and only re-acted when the stable door was firmly shut.

I for one will welcome Gerrys input, because the ones with the big grand policies sold this country to banks and they cant even look themselves in the eye to say hello these days!:mad:

I for one will welcome Gerrys input, because the ones with the big grand policies sold this country to banks and they cant even look themselves in the eye to say hello these days!:mad:

FFS Gerry cant admit that he was ever in the IRA.

a-disappearedgerry1.jpg

anivver.jpg

Hmm, the posters might actually be funny if the photo-shopping was not so poor and more imagination was used. As it is they are simply petty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

take a look at the cover of the agus this week;)

voting for gerry gives the people of louth the chance to look at the bigger picture instead of just voting for some local gob****e whos going to do naff all

• Advertisement

so tommyt its fair to judge you by what your brother has done that makes sense everybody knows gerry was in the ira so what every party in ireland came out of the ira at some time or other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Id rather vote for Jim Corr.

Actually that gives me and idea!

mmmmm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

geespot wrote: »
    voting for gerry gives the people of louth the chance to look at the bigger picture instead of just voting for some local gob****e whos going to do naff all

cool. we get to vote for some NON local gob****e. Thats refreshing right there.

cool. we get to vote for some NON local gob****e. Thats refreshing right there.
    Blackrock,Knockbridge and Drogheda locals have hardly "refreshed" us,in fact they have beaten us down and rode us to debt :D

indiewindy wrote: »
    take a look at the cover of the agus this week;)
    The AGUS is gerrys favourite read,go raibh maith agat :rolleyes:
    Its also one of his favourite words.
    :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

everybody knows gerry was in the ira so what every party in ireland came out of the ira at some time or other

I think alot of peoples difficulty with this(including mine) is the facts its been as close to confirmed as you can get that he has been a member of the IRA, and also a member of their army council, yet he refuses to admit this for some reason[even though the likes of Martin McGuiness have no problem admiting their past]. Also he is a parachute candidate. He has no business running in Louth.

I]. Also he is a parachute candidate. He has no business running in Louth.
    He is an Irish passport holder and therfore he can, like you(if you hold one), run in any constituency he wants.
    Do you reckon this is the first time someone has been "parachuted" in to a constituency??
    Like FFS you go on as if it was all new just because you dont give two flying flukes for the man.

He is as Irish as the rest of us. He is doing this for the right reasons. He has a GUARANTEED(well 99%) seat in the assembly and in Westminster. He aint doing this for money, expenses or anything like that.

so tommyt its fair to judge you by what your brother has done that makes sense everybody knows gerry was in the ira so what every party in ireland came out of the ira at some time or other

We Judge Gerry by his own actions. He knew that his brother had been accused of being a paedophile long before it ever became public knowledge, but still allowed him to remain in the party and to keep his job as a "community worker" both in Dundalk and Belfast. Liam also remained an active party member during this time.

• Advertisement

loads of people have been accused of loads of things that doesnt make them right. with regard to the parachuting in of gerry adams (strange choice of words everybody in this country is complaining about the style of politics in this country where in all about favaours and slaps on the back and keeping the county sweet while letting the country go to fcuk instead of doing what is right for the country and letting that filter down to countyif for no other reason than he risked his life for his country which is more than can be said for any of the other likely canditates

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement