Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield Market: Smart Telecom vs 3g/WiMax

• 10-11-2010 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I recently moved into Smithfield Market to find that my only options for broadband are:

- Smart Telecom (max. 3mb) - 80e installation plus 35e/month.
    - Eircom - didn't even check the speeds available as I was told it'd be a one-off charge for setting up an Eircom line (120e), 25e/month line rental and then 40e/month for the cheapest broadband.
    - WiMax - I ordered this yesterday and have already cancelled due to the feedback on here.
    - Other 3g/wireless options - ???

It's a shame that Smart have the monopoly over the apartment block. Would love to get UPC for broadband and tv but unfortunately Sky will be another charge (I know Smart do tv/broadband packages but I've heard the tv is really poor quality and prone to freezing) so it's just the way it is.

Any ideas what my best option would be in the light of this? I don't need anything too fast (a couple of meg is fine) but the caps are putting me off any of the 3g offers. YouTube loading up quickly, being able to use p2p at decent speeds and Facebook pictures not taking ages is really all I need, though a bonus would be to connect to the PS3 network (I'm not holding my breath).

Cheers

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

davezambo wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently moved into Smithfield Market to find that my only options for broadband are:

- Smart Telecom (max. 3mb) - 80e installation plus 35e/month.
    - Eircom - didn't even check the speeds available as I was told it'd be a one-off charge for setting up an Eircom line (120e), 25e/month line rental and then 40e/month for the cheapest broadband.
    - WiMax - I ordered this yesterday and have already cancelled due to the feedback on here.
    - Other 3g/wireless options - ???

It's a shame that Smart have the monopoly over the apartment block. Would love to get UPC for broadband and tv but unfortunately Sky will be another charge (I know Smart do tv/broadband packages but I've heard the tv is really poor quality and prone to freezing) so it's just the way it is.

Any ideas what my best option would be in the light of this? I don't need anything too fast (a couple of meg is fine) but the caps are putting me off any of the 3g offers. YouTube loading up quickly, being able to use p2p at decent speeds and Facebook pictures not taking ages is really all I need, though a bonus would be to connect to the PS3 network (I'm not holding my breath).

Cheers

That area is on the North Main telephone exchange. Magnet can offer up to 24Mb service there.

We already have many customers in this area.

Advertisement