Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iCode6 - New postcode proposal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes, easy. You just use three digits to break down to ED or small area, a further digit or two to number roads within that area, and then building numbers or distance along the road.

I cannot see what is memorable about the letter 'E' for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sovereign

I was thinking of a code like loc8 that can pinpoint any location to 5 or 6 metres and translate to coordinates for a GPS device.

Regarding the E for Clare - I still remember that "IP" was the licence plate sequence used for Kilkenny. I'll grant you that don't remember those of other counties...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That will work fine for this. All you need is a map of all the roads in Ireland. The GPS unit would have to have this information on board anyway, in order to be any use to actually get to the property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

That will work fine for this. All you need is a map of all the roads in Ireland. The GPS unit would have to have this information on board anyway, in order to be any use to actually get to the property.

Remember, it's not just about GPS. It's databases of addresses, service planning, logistics etc.

So conolan - I have have not done the detailed maths here - but a first glance would suggest that surely something like XXN-XNNN would at least get you to within 10 metres of any building for any county?

i.e. X - a County Code letter
    XN - a letter and number identifying a 5km x 5km grid in the county

X - a letter representing a 1km x 1km grid within the 5km grid
    NN and NN - x and y coordinates to 10m

Am I missing something - would this not work for a large county like galway or cork etc? Would it satisfy the planning, logistics requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

sovereign wrote: »
    Am I missing something - would this not work for a large county like galway or cork etc? Would it satisfy the planning, logistics requirement?

If you look at http://www.icode6.com/county.htm you'll see something along the lines you are describing. Cork, Galway and other counties have to be subdivided, eg. Cork has 3 regions, CA, C, CT going from east to west.

An example code for a building in the centre of Bantry is CT KA TC 99

Still has the accuracy of 4 decimal places but nothing to make town and cities codes memorable.

The county version of iCode6 may not look the prettiest or be the most memorable but it is certainly a good option because of its precision and also the ability to have recognisable subdivisions in all areas.

Advertisement