Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling from Dublin to Ennis

• 10-11-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if someone could advise.

If you were travelling by car from Dublin to Ennis, would you take the M6 towards Galway and hop onto the M18? Or take the M7 to Limerick and then get onto the M18?

I'm travelling next weekend for the first time and have no idea which is best.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The Limerick route is a tiny bit longer but it's simpler and there's motorway/dual carraigeway pretty much the whole way.

If you go the Galway route you need to get off at Loughrea, go to Gort (15miles down country road) and onto Ennis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It is 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, both routes are almost identical distance wise, the last couple of times I have gone to Dublin I have gone via Galway, it's a motorway all the way to Athlone but the road from Balinasloe to Gort is poor and depending on the time you are leaving at you might hit bad traffic in Gort but the new road there might be opening soon. I haven't taken the Limerick route since the new sections have been opened but I hear that gets rid of a lot of heartache on that route.

Depending what part of Dublin and what time you are leaving at, I would take the Limerick way down on the Friday and go back the other way on the Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Thanks for the reply Shapey Fiend. On the map the Galway one looked quicker but factoring in the country road, as opposed to the motorway, Limerick is the better choice. Thanks again.

Thanks also Clareman. I reckon I'll head down the Limerick way alright but I might take the scenic route home on Sunday as I won't be in any rush.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you're looking for a scenic drive you could cut off at Killaloe to get to Ennis, you get to cross the lake and see some nice scenery, used to cut some time off the journey as you wouldn't have to go through Limerick but I doubt it would save anything now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Yeah if your going the Galway way getting off a Ballinasloe (2nd exit), to Loughrea to Gort will knock another 10mins off, and avoid to 2nd toll booth but I said I'd leave that out for simplicities sake.

They don't signpost it well because they want you to go past Loughrea, pay the toll, and then drive back to Loughrea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

The last couple of times I have gone to Dublin,, I have gone via Galway. I found it exactly the same to go all the way to Galway to get onto the M6 or to get on at loughrea as that road can be bad and they were also doing roadworks which held things up. Ennis to dublin airport takes me 2.5hrs going via Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

That 15 miles,from loughrea to gort, is a balls of a road.

Im going to Dublin 12 this weekend and will drive from ennis through the limerick tunnel and expect to be in dublin in under 2 1/2 hrs. as shapey says,its very straight forward.
    When i drove from Dub To Ennis a few weeks ago it was a brill drive,great road all the way. 1 tip though,when your approaching limerick,do not take the castletroy or limerick city turn offs,keep driving until you see signs for the tunnel....... bloody great job that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I drive back and forth every week. The Galway route is much quicker - shaves about 40 minutes off the total journey.

It's a straight shot down the M4 to Galway, then a straight shot to Ennis - just make a left when the road ends in Gort sure.

But its at least 40 minutes quicker via Galway, and depending on the time of day it could be over an hour quicker - going via Limerick in the middle of the day you will be stuck in traffic in every town you hit sure.

FYI, there are two tolls on the M4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Of course you also can book a train ticket online and get a return trip for €25 if you go/return at the right times. That will put you in the middle of Ennis at the train station there - 5 minute walk to anywhere you want to go in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

CptSternn wrote: »
    I drive back and forth every week. The Galway route is much quicker - shaves about 40 minutes off the total journey.

It's a straight shot down the M4 to Galway, then a straight shot to Ennis - just make a left when the road ends in Gort sure.

But its at least 40 minutes quicker via Galway, and depending on the time of day it could be over an hour quicker - going via Limerick in the middle of the day you will be stuck in traffic in every town you hit sure.

FYI, there are two tolls on the M4.
    apart from Toomevara (soon to be bypassed) what towns could you get stuck in? when that last strech of motorway is open from Toom to Borris, Ennis-Dublin will be achievable in 2:20-2:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Thanks for the replies everyone!

With all the conflicting opinions I'm just as confused as ever now though :p

I like the idea of the effortlessness of M7 -> M18 though so I think I'll stick with that.

Advertisement