Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of using 0818 numbers

Options
  • 10-11-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭

I have an O2 package which give me 100 minutes call time per month to local and mobile numbers in Ireland and free calls to O2 users. However the Bank of Ireland online services number is 0818 365 365 but O2 chose to bill me for calling this number at the rate of about 30c per minute.

I looked up the bank's website and they conveniently provide a number for calling from abroad: +353 1 404 4000 so I now use this (01) number instead of the 0818 number and I get the call as part of my bundle i.e. it's free.

Comreg are looking at this by the way, the language in their last consultation document makes it pretty clear that they feel the mobile operators are ripping people off by charging differently for 0818 numbers...

This practice, which has tended to bring the numbers into disrepute, must stop

Sixth Review of the National Numbering Conventions 10/60 August 4th, 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This website might help you avoid charges like that http://www.saynoto1890.com/
    I agree it's a complete rip off, AIB banking is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

when i call 0818 numbers on my vodafone mobile they come out of my bundle of minutes! now thats cool

Advertisement