Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heated grips

• 10-11-2010 2:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

With the cold weather coming in, I reckon it's time to get some heated grips.

Cotters are selling relatively cheap sets here.

And there's a guide on how to fit them here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

heard bad things about cheaper ones... I had oxford grips, they were great.. recommended...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

jameshayes wrote: »
    heard bad things about cheaper ones... I had oxford grips, they were great.. recommended...

I heard (and experienced actually) bad things about the Oxford, the control box is prone to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I have oxford grips on my VFR and never had a problem with them so far. I wanted to put on the honda ones but they(honda dealer!) recomended these instead as the honda ones were giving some problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

When I was buying my bike new a few years ago, I had a set included - I ended up with an Oxford set (Dealer said the Honda ones were way more expensive). Anyhow not long after getting them, the LED for the lowest heat setting went a bit dodgy on the control switch and sometimes won't light - to figure out if the thing was on, had to move up to the 2nd lowest of the four settings and then back down again
    -> the control switch is cheap but the grips otherwise work well. (prob China quality)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I heard (and experienced actually) bad things about the Oxford, the control box is prone to failure.

The later models of the control box seems to be more reliable. Ive had the new one for a couple of years problem free but had problems with a prior model that had the twisty dial.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    The later models of the control box seems to be more reliable. Ive had the new one for a couple of years problem free but had problems with a prior model that had the twisty dial.

I heard it was the digital one that was unreliable, and it was the digital one that failed on me :confused:

Fitted a pair on Saturday anyway, awesome in cold weather :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Lads are these useful at all for shorter commutes? It only takes me about 20-25 minutes to make it into work in the morning but most of the distance is on the M50. On the really cold days, my fingers feel like they are going to snap off by the time I get to work :(. Would heated grips help at all or do they take so long to heat up that it wouldn't make a difference when I'm only the road for 20 minutes anyway?

Mine heat up in about five minutes.

Sounds good, that would work for me, it's only about half way there that the fingers really start to hurt. Which ones did you end up getting in the end? The ones in the original post or Oxford ones?

Got a pair off someone that didn't need them, some unbranded set with a black controller box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Had a set of oxfords on the africa twin and they were great, really saved the hands during the winters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

J-blk wrote: »
    Lads are these useful at all for shorter commutes? It only takes me about 20-25 minutes to make it into work in the morning but most of the distance is on the M50. On the really cold days, my fingers feel like they are going to snap off by the time I get to work :(. Would heated grips help at all or do they take so long to heat up that it wouldn't make a difference when I'm only the road for 20 minutes anyway?

That's my commute, they're fine for that. But to ne honest, I find hand guards more effective. But they're only suited to some bikes

Paparazzo wrote: »
    That's my commute, they're fine for that. But to ne honest, I find hand guards more effective. But they're only suited to some bikes

I have a V-Strom and already have hand guards on it but find they don't help too much on the really bitter cold days, fingers still hurt badly by the time I make it into work so I think I'll be trying heated grips soon enough (I don't like the idea of muffs at all)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

J-blk wrote: »
    I have a V-Strom and already have hand guards on it but find they don't help too much on the really bitter cold days, fingers still hurt badly by the time I make it into work so I think I'll be trying heated grips soon enough (I don't like the idea of muffs at all)...

Combination of heated grips, hand guards and good gloves and you'll be grand. That's what I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fazer

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Combination of heated grips, hand guards and good gloves and you'll be grand. That's what I use.

+1

Fazer:D

Advertisement