Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with Rent allowance

• 10-11-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

Would love some advice on my little situation...

I was laid off on the 31st July. I first went to the CWO about RA on the 4th of August, to ask about it and get the forms etc. The house i was living in was over the limit so I moved out, got all the forms sorted and went back to the CWO in Sept. There was a different CWO there and she said that I have to be assessed by the council before I can apply for RA.

I posted here before and was told that i dont need to be assessed by the council AND have rented for 6 out of the past 12 months, that the fact that I have rented for the past 10 years means that I should qualify for it. I also read this online on the citizens advice web page. So I paid her a visit again this week and she is sticking to her guns that I have to be on the council list AND have to have rented for 6 out of the past 12 months...

I showed her the information I had printed off from the citizens advice web page that stated clearly EITHER assesed by the council OR having rented for 6 out of the past 12 months. She told me that this information is incorrect and that the rules have been changed and they obviously have not updated their information to reflect the change. I am currently waiting to be assessed by the council and have been waiting for the past 6 weeks.

So I went home, rang the HSE information line and they told me that I EITHER have to be assesed by the council OR have rented for 6 out of the past 12 months to qualify...I also downloaded their Rent Supplement document produced by the HSE and part 4, page 3 clearly states

4. Housing Need

You will be excluded from receipt of Rent Supplement

UNLESS

• The Housing Authority for the area in which you intend to reside has
    determined that you are eligible for and in need of social housing.
    OR

• You have been living in private rented accommodation for a period of 183
    days within the preceding 12 months at the date of application and you
    were in a position to pay the rent at the commencement of the tenancy.
    Time spent living in accommodation for homeless persons or in an
    institution can also be taken into account.

So according to my CWO, EVERYONE (no either/or here) is wrong except her...rolleyes.gif

Now for the best part, what do I do now?! I will visit her again with this document, however I'm dubious that she will accept this. Is there anyone higher that I can go to to apply for rent allowance?? I just want to be assessed now, and this back and forth nonsense with the CWO is taking too long! confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifmad.gifconfused.gif

Just incase anyone wants to see the HSE RA document, here is the link:

http://communitywelfareservice.ie/cw...2004.05.10.pdf
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Write to the SCWO with all documentation. Call the local office to find out how to contact the SCWO.

Advertisement