Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xex development

• 10-11-2010 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I am interested in developing homebrew for Xbox 360, I have a few ideas for some great applications but don't know where to start, anyone have any experience in developing apps for the Xbox 360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

In order to develop XEX files you'll have to obtain a copy of the XDK - the only way I know of to obtain the XDK is to downloaded it illegally or to be part of a game studio which is partnered with Microsoft as thnen you can apply for a Registered Content Creator license.

From what I gather the leaked XDK is a very old one - it was around before the Avatars/NXE Dashboard came along.

If you're interested in developing then you might be able to use XNA. Using XNA you can develop an app and test it on the PC, and then if you buy an XNA license (€100 per year last I checked) you can deploy it onto your console. It isn't quite an XDK though as it's a managed environment with some limitations - I remember I was trying to develop a webcam hand tracker by porting some code from a DirectX PhD project for my undergrad thesis in college but XNA could only do simple stuff at that time and couldn't interface with USB devices at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

XNA seems like the better option if a bit pricey, http://create.mdsn.com looks like a great resouce with lots of code samples. One idea I had was a torrent client for the Xbox 360 (for legitimate reasons of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if you're a student, you can sign up to Microsofts Dreamspark progam. You'll be allowed to download XNA 3.1 and develop on it for 12 months. Or if you know any students, and/or if you were a student and still have access to your email account, you can register ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

justryan wrote: »
    XNA seems like the better option if a bit pricey, http://create.msdn.com looks like a great resouce with lots of code samples. One idea I had was a torrent client for the Xbox 360 (for legitimate reasons of course)

FYP ;)

justryan wrote: »
    XNA seems like the better option if a bit pricey, http://create.mdsn.com looks like a great resouce with lots of code samples. One idea I had was a torrent client for the Xbox 360 (for legitimate reasons of course)

This type of application wouldn't be possible with XNA as far as I know. Besides, if you wish to distribute it every user would have to have a license to run XNA on their own console or else they wouldn't be able to run it on anything except Windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Seems there are pros and cons for both xdk and xna

So XNA only allows the license holder to run his applications on his own console only? Surely you can compile an xex and distribute for jtag systems, do you know how xexmenu and such where compiled?

I believe those developing XeXMenu or the Freestyle Dash have paid money for licenses for valid XDK development. They're not XNA-based anyways

Advertisement