Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are you dressing baby in at night?

• 10-11-2010 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

My mother is wrecking my head asking if I have enough layers on son at night. We stopped swaddling a few nights ago because he just got too strong for it. It's a pity as the swaddle really calmed him when going off to sleep. Anyway we have a climate control heater in the room at 19 degrees all night and last night had him in vest, 2 babygros & 2.5 tog grobag. I would have normally only had him in 1 babygro but he's still waking up a few times a night so I thought right I'll try another layer on him. He woke up every hour on the hour from 2.30am cry.gif I think that's mainly getting used to no swaddle.

What are your babies wearing for these cold nights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerick_lady

You never mentioned how old your son is, but I remember reading Gina Ford's book (for advice only, never managed to follow her routine exactly but she has some good ideas!) and she mentioned how you can "half-swaddle" the baby which still has the security factor but their arms are free. She recommended this as a good half way measure, it might be worth checking out for you.

I have a 13mo Son who currently sleeps in a vest, cotton baby-grow and a grobag so what you're doing sounds fine. One of the grobags that we bought came with a room thermometer which you can stick to the wall. It tells you what temp the room is, as well as whether baby should be wearing long sleeves or short sleeves under their grobag, and what tog growbag is necessary.

Hope one of those suggestions help you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 browneyedgirl28

Hi Limerick. Sorry he's 12 weeks. Yeah we have the Gro egg which is good for peace of mind. I'm following Gina (very roughly!) for naps & feed times. Yeah I read about the half swaddle- it's his arms that are the problem- he's a big twitcher. Hope he'll be better tonight :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i've had to put my baby 7 months into fleece pj's as she was getting cold around 2 or 3 and waking. She wears a 2 tog grobag and vest underneath pj's, was looking at my duvet and its 14tog so reckon if it gets colder again she's going to need blankets soon. She a very warm baby so its unusual thats she's cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Eh...19 degrees sounds quite warm to be having loads of layers on. Is he too hot maybe? We have the radiator turned off in the little ones room. She has vest, pj's, gro bag and 2 cellular blankets over her. She sleeps 12 hours solid (9 months old).

I think it's better for children to be too cold than too hot though so I've always worked that way (not that they're cold, just that I want to be sure that they're definitely not too hot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

maybe look again at swaddle, is 12 wks to early to stop? my dd was defo 4/5 mths before we stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My little man is 10 months and he loves his heat at night.. he has a vest a normal babygro a fluffy babygro a sheet 3 blankets and a cot duvet.. any less and he wakes up..:eek:

we've gradually been putting more on him as he wakes and the nights get colder and this seems to be ok for him now although if he gets cold i will add to it. He's been a cold one from day one and he rarely sweats at night.

To check their temperature for too hot (not sick temperature) put your fingers at the back of their neck as babies hands and feet often get cold without them actually being cold themselves.;)

forgot to say i don't have the heat on in the house form about 7 so the room is pretty cool.. i sleep better that way and the rest of them can just get used to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

19 degrees all night and last night had him in vest, 2 babygros & 2.5 tog grobag. I would have normally only had him in 1 babygro but he's still waking up a few times a night so I thought right I'll try another layer on him. He woke up every hour on the hour from 2.30am.

Is he too warm?

My mother nags me about putting too many clothes on the baby! My wee man sleeps with a vest, a babygro and a grobag. The room is usually 16/17 degrees. I usually throw a cellular blanket over him when I go to bed in case the gro egg dips into the blue.

How do you even get 2 babygros on a baby?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

My little man is nearly 11 months. I have the rads in his room turned right down so its always just luke warm in his room and no heating on from about 9pm onwards. He sleeps in a vest, cotton babygro, with a light pj top over his babygro. He has 2 blankets in his cot. He sleeps from 7 till 7 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i have the gro egg too best money i ever spent,:)

the temp in our room is usually around 17 - 19 (yellow) and my daughter (16 months) has her vest, fluffy all in one footcovered pj's and a cot quilt, we also picked up a fluffy hot water bottle that we put in an hour before she goes to bed to warm it up, then once she's in there we take it out and she keeps the cot warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

My son is wearing long sleeves vest, then baby gro and then I put him into sleeping bag, when nights get colder I throw extra blanket over him. When I take him into bed for feeding I take him out of sleeping bag.
    you check are they worm by touching their neck, not hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hi all, when coming onto Boards tonight this is the thread i hoped I would find. :)

Our daughter came home today. She is premature (35 weeks now).

I am wondering how best to control her temp at night and what she should wear. We have a gro egg in our room and currently its saying 23d is this to warm?...and is it better if they are cooler rather than to warm?

Bag of nerves here..

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

neonman wrote: »
    Hi all, when coming onto Boards tonight this is the thread i hoped I would find. :)

I am wondering how best to control her temp at night and what she should wear. We have a gro egg in our room and currently its saying 23d is this to warm?...and is it better if they are cooler rather than to warm?

Bag of nerves here..

On prenatal classes we were told that premature babies need more warmth, maybe ask your public health nurse, I find their knowledge very helpful.
    have a look here http://www.prematurebaby.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

neonman wrote: »

I am wondering how best to control her temp at night and what she should wear.

Ours lads were also a bit pre-mature and came home at 4.5 and 5 lbs. Advice we read online was to give them one extra layer compared to a normal weight baby.

We had, vest, full-body baby-gro, and 3 very light cellular blankets, and one thicker cellular blanket on each of them. Room temperature of about 16 degrees IIRC. We also tried thin hats for them, but they'd always wriggle out of them, so that was a lost cause imo.

Originally we had a little less on them, as we had read that too cold is safer than too warm, but they'd wake us up with in-unison screaming around 2am - once the house got that bit colder.

From everything I've read, in multiple sources, it is safer to have too cold than too warm. Too cold seems to lead to moaning, too warm may not, and that's why it's more dangerous.

Swaddling them with one of the thin blankets was key for us - otherwise the little eejits would wriggle out and wake us up as they were freezing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

i have the gro egg too best money i ever spent,:)

Seems quite a few of you have these? What are they and why are they so brilliant? (sounds like just a thermometer to me?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm going to invest in some of those gro egg things too. I saw 3tog ones on kiddicare today. Our bedrooms aren't heated at night and they can be quite cold compared to the living room so inthink these would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Khannie wrote: »
    Seems quite a few of you have these? What are they and why are they so brilliant? (sounds like just a thermometer to me?)

Well, yeah, they are a thermometer, but they change colour according to the temp of the room and function as a cute night-light too. My wee buck automatically angles his head towards it when he's put down in his cot. Avent have one like it, that works in the bath as well, but it doesn't glow or change colour.
    I'm going to invest in some of those gro egg things too. I saw 3tog ones on kiddicare today. Our bedrooms aren't heated at night and they can be quite cold compared to the living room so inthink these would be ideal.

Think you're mixing up the gro-bag (sleeping bag) and the gro-egg (thermometer)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oops, if I could do emoticons on
    my iPhone it would be an embarrassed one! Yes I got them mixed up but might actually look into that too as our bedrooms can be quite cold and I'd be worried it might be too cold during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Lads is it ok to put normal cotton pj's under the fleecy babygro's?

Baby Rylie definitely feels the cold and was waking when I just had him in vest, pj's and grobag. I think his little arms got cold during the night.

Last night I tried the pj's under the fleecy babygro and left him out of the grobag. I just put an extra blanket over him when I was going to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd go with vest / baby gro / cotton PJs / gro bag, atleast then its all breathable. I have my 9 wk old in these.

Advertisement