Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. TV series pilot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

actually didn't think it would translate well but the trailer does look very promising

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'd just get cancelled because all people want to watch these days is x-factor and the hills.

Looks great though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's doubly ****ed since it's subtitled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

There already is a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie, the game is loosely based on it.

O.K. this is something I'd definitely watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but it's very loosely based on it, they are both very different. the original is a classic and one of my favourite films but would be nice to see what they can do with this universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah but it's very loosely based on it, they are both very different. the original is a classic and one of my favourite films but would be nice to see what they can do with this universe.

Man, Stalker (the Tarkovsky film) is such a wonderful film. Of course, it is tough going as all Tarkovsky films tend to be, but it is one of the most engaging three hour plus Russian films you'll ever come across :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks class,I'd definitely watch it anyway.

Man, Stalker (the Tarkovsky film) is such a wonderful film. Of course, it is tough going as all Tarkovsky films tend to be, but it is one of the most engaging three hour plus Russian films you'll ever come across :pac:

I have to watch that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just looked that up on imdb to be greeted with this:

Fun Facts
    At least 3 members of the crew (including the director) died as a result of chemical contamination encountered on location in Estonia.

:cool:

• Advertisement

Anyone else notice the "Kino" at the end of the clip is also present on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie's cover?

I have to watch that film.

You really should, it's a fantastic piece of hard sci-fi. Make sure you are fully awake and sober for it though. It's long, drawn out and very character driven and can seem boring but watch it to the end, I thought the ending was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Both the film and game are based on the wonderful book called Roadside Picnic.

Funnily enough it is called Stalker and it is based on the wonderful book called Roadside Picnic.

I knew that ;)

I would pick up roadside picnic but I'm currently reading "Do androids dream of electric sheep?".

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You really should, it's a fantastic piece of hard sci-fi. Make sure you are fully awake and sober for it though. It's long, drawn out and very character driven and can seem boring but watch it to the end, I thought the ending was fantastic.

I might download scour the zone for a copy tonight to watch it on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Anyone else notice the "Kino" at the end of the clip is also present on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie's cover?

Kino is Russian for "film".

Zillah wrote: »
    Kino is Russian for "film".

Should've guessed, Kino also means Cinema in German.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I only knew that because I've been looking into this for college lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Great stuff, I loved it, for anyone else its not really anything like the game, its all psychological and about the characters, well worth seeing, but be aware its not shooty shooty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Just looked that up on imdb to be greeted with this:

Fun Facts
    At least 3 members of the crew (including the director) died as a result of chemical contamination encountered on location in Estonia.

:cool:

Found this, might watch it on sat. Love the games

Tks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

but be aware its not shooty shooty.

Ha best description of an Andrej Tarkovsky film I've ever read :)

But yes, well worth checking out. I watched disc one at night, and the next disc the next morning which tbh helped me take in far more! I normally wouldn't advise that sort of thing, but you are dealing with a lot of psychologically heavy material here.

*waits for someone to come back and give out to us for recommending it*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I knew that ;)

I would pick up roadside picnic but I'm currently reading "Do androids dream of electric sheep?".
    Spolier alert *
    Yes, yes they do

You should also pick up Metro 2033, it's an excellent read. I haven't played the game yet but I will now after reading the book.

Spolier alert *
    Yes, yes they do

You should also pick up Metro 2033, it's an excellent read. I haven't played the game yet but I will now after reading the book.

I might, I saw my brother play through the game based on it, and they referenced roadside picnic directly in a library :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

One of the biggest disappointments for me was that this game wouldn't work on my PC. It would get all the way to the start then freeze and crash. I was so looking forward to playing it. Still held onto the game in a vain hope that one day i have enough money to buy a gaming PC or at least one thats not a pile of garbage.

Hmm, where are the women in the Zone?

One of the biggest disappointments for me was that this game wouldn't work on my PC. It would get all the way to the start then freeze and crash. I was so looking forward to playing it. Still held onto the game in a vain hope that one day i have enough money to buy a gaming PC or at least one thats not a pile of garbage.

Well worth playing, probably the best FPS experience I've had since System Shock 2. Most of the bugs have been sorted and it runs on fairly middling hardware so it's a good time to take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

you people actually watch russian movies, like stalker? damn guys...

i can speak fluent russian, even if its not my native languadge, and i watched quie a few old russian movies, ehich are really seriuos stuff. i would newer ever thought someone on boards had even seen anything russian, and what is more amazing, say good stuff about it :eek:

you live, you learn i guess.

you people actually watch russian movies, like stalker? damn guys...

i can speak fluent russian, even if its not my native languadge, and i watched quie a few old russian movies, ehich are really seriuos stuff. i would newer ever thought someone on boards had even seen anything russian, and what is more amazing, say good stuff about it :eek:

you live, you learn i guess.

Hey, we're not all racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hey, we're not all racist!
    ah m8, i am not in the bad way! i am just really impressed!

• Advertisement

Went out with a pain in the arse russian girl for a while. Thought me not to ever drink smirnoff though which I'm grateful of.

Advertisement