Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI to be expanded

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

djpbarry wrote: »
    I’m not saying I disagree with the idea of a pyramid system – I actually think it’s one of the best initiatives implemented by the FAI since they took over the league. But what you’re proposing is that 5 A-league sides be elevated to the first division without “proving themselves” capable of competing at such a level. Consider that Salthill and Mervue were by some distance the worst sides in this year’s first division, but Salthill were still too good for Cobh, the best of the A-league sides. Put simply, there would be a colossal difference in standard between the top and bottom of the first division that you are proposing.

The bottom two teams in the second divisions of Norway, Sweden, and Finland didn't go much better than our own in their last league campaigns. Once the promoted teams stay within budget I don't see a problem with them coming up once they show an interest in doing so. Competing with those other First Division teams rather than in the safety of the 'A' league forever would be better for them in the long run I'd feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Has to happen. 10 team league is just so boring. Along with playing each other four times a season and possible cup matches, teams can end up meeting each other six or seven times a season, like Bohs and Sligo in 2009. I even remember in 2004 due to a backlog of fixtures, Bohs and Shels met twice within five days!
    This leads to matches becoming dull and ending in draws as teams are well familiar with each other.

A 16 team league with 30 matches would suit grand. With the league now to become a entirely part-time league again, 30 matches a year is just right. Also there will be more local derbies nationwide as a result possibly attracting more crowds. Win Win Situation!!!!

Advertisement