Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treacy Meadows, Newbridge, Kildare - Any problems with it

Options
  • 10-11-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on this estate in Newbridge.

I hear seen myself first hand judging by the front of the houses

And the Cracks all long the front of each house.

I am just wondering is there any other problems in that estate.

Is there Subsidence in that estate is that why there is cracks on the front and back of all the houses.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rosetube

A friend of mine lives in this estate - really fab houses - and have never seen any cracks. Very solid houses - much more so than more recent houses - about 20 years old I think. Never heard of any subsidence.... if there was I recon it would have shown up well before now...I'd buy one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I was about to buy one myself and nearly signed got the survey report back and turned up bad.

So we thought to ourselves listening to everyone saying back out back out back out.

I took one last look at the house and spent 30 mins examining the property and tons of cracks all over.

And within the past few weeks it was freshly painted over to hide them.

walk around the estate and look at the front of the houses and you will see cracks on ever house.

Most of the houses in there have been smart and painted over them.

So glad I backed out amazing houses and they are huge but I don't want problems like subsidence.
    rosetube wrote: »
    A friend of mine lives in this estate - really fab houses - and have never seen any cracks. Very solid houses - much more so than more recent houses - about 20 years old I think. Never heard of any subsidence.... if there was I recon it would have shown up well before now...I'd buy one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rosetube

Just back from surveying all houses (I'm an engineer) 1 house has surface cracks on the rendering...just surface rendering cracks. That's it.

1. What you are saying regarding cracks on all houses. Not true.
    2. Also you are trying to suggest that there is subsidence there. Not true.
    3. You say that "in the past few weeks" the house has been repainted. Again not true.

No house in Treacy Meadows was painted in last few weeks. One was painted about July last.

There are 2 possibilities here:
    -You are mistaken regarding the address or
    -You would like to undermine prices so you can buy there - You say you wanted to buy a house there, so this can make a lot of sense.

I presume you are just mistaken on address..... I hate to think that people would stoop so low as to spread nasty rumours to try and force house prices down... theft of a kind. .

I wont be replying to any further posts.

Right viewed this house three times and seen the house from the inside now the house was on fire some stage in the last 4 years,.

In This Market I do not have to bring down the price cause its house prices have dropped like crazy.

I do not want to buy a house in that estate where a lot of the houses have cracks on the front and backs of the houses.

Cracks don't sell houses and a young couple don't want problems like that.
    Just back from surveying all houses (I'm an engineer) 1 house has surface cracks on the rendering...just surface rendering cracks. That's it.

1. What you are saying regarding cracks on all houses. Not true.
    3. You say that "in the past few weeks" the house has been repainted. Again not true.

No house in Treacy Meadows was painted in last few weeks. One was painted about July last.

-You would like to undermine prices so you can buy there - You say you wanted to buy a house there, so this can make a lot of sense.

I presume you are just mistaken on address..... I hate to think that people would stoop so low as to spread nasty rumours to try and force house prices down... theft of a kind. .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For clarity, is the address "Treacy Meadows" or "Treacy's Meadow"?
    A friend of mine lives in this estate - really fab houses - and have never seen any cracks. Very solid houses - much more so than more recent houses - about 20 years old I think. Never heard of any subsidence.... if there was I recon it would have shown up well before now...
    Interestingly, the Historic 25" maps from the Ordnance Survey have what could be a reeds icon (I may be wrong it might be a rough grass icon), i.e. marshy ground, quite near to the estate, certainly in the same field.

Of course, a leaky drain can cause subsidence in almost any house.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,679669,713465,7

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Treacys+Meadow,+Newbridge,+ireland&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Treacys+Meadow,+Newbridge,+County+Kildare,+Ireland&ll=53.166559,-6.811566&spn=0.003705,0.017166&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.165407,-6.80775&cbp=12,120.36992330452973,,0,5
    How did you get to survey every house? Did you wander around people's back gardens?
    Wow! Did you wander around people's living rooms and actually open up people foundations also, to prove there is no subsidence? That's what an engineer would do.

That makes you sound like someone who lives there. Who records when their friend's neighbours paint their houses? Who would know whether a house was painted inside or not?

Maybe you are mistaken on the address

Maybe you own one of the several houses for sale in the estate and want to boost the prices.

Maybe you aren't an engineer, or maybe you are an electrical engineer.
    I'd buy one tomorrow.
    Maybe you're an estate agent or vendor.
    Hmmm.

• Advertisement

So glad I backed out amazing houses and they are huge but I don't want problems like subsidence.
    There are a number of houses for sale on the estate (and one for rent), so shop around.

If you have suspicions of subsidence, raise it with your professional advisors and consider getting a structural engineer to do the survey.

I Victor you are priceless I would love to buy you a pint you went to town on him.

Can't say which house in that estate I was going for all I can say is that the house was incredible and looked amazing inside then I got the survey report and it sang a different tune.

And that we were about to sign until we seen the survey report.

What makes me mad is that I walked around the that road looked at the fronts of all the houses and cracks galore and I mean I was in shock.

Now I went onto google street view and the photo's on that are 2 and a half 3 years old and the cracks on peoples houses show up on that too.

The whole point of this thread was asked people in newbridge have they heard anything about the estate at all and also wouldn't want a couple buying something and taking on major problems like that.

All note entering the estate on the right as you go in the house on the corner is burnt out and bricked in.
    Victor wrote: »
    There are a number of houses for sale on the estate (and one for rent), so shop around.

If you have suspicions of subsidence, raise it with your professional advisors and consider getting a structural engineer to do the survey.

Just looking at Google streetview properly now. I can't see any particularly obvious cracks.

I could email you screen caps.

very hard to spot.

But if you are in the estate and walk along the front of them they are very noticeable.
    Victor wrote: »
    Just looking at Google streetview properly now. I can't see any particularly obvious cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lurch11

Just noticed this thread. Currently I am selling a house in Treacy Meadows and have been living in the estate for the past 5 years. No house in the estate has had fire damage in that time and despite cracks in the plaster work as my surverys report also stated, none of the houses have had to be underpinned or have any other work done in order to correct subsidence. One house in the estate was damaged by fire about 12 years ago and this house was almost completely rebuilt, the house had an entire new heating, plumbing and wiring put in. The last engineer to look at my house for a potential buyer only looked in the attic, did not enter it and took a few photographs of the exterior because it was raining! I even showed them the engineers report that was done when I was purchasing the house. To claim an estate suffers from subsidence without getting a proper engineers report is unfair and these claims cannot be made by looking on google maps or by wandering through an estate. Although this may seem biased I am only selling due to having to move, the house, the estate, the location, neighbours etc are all excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement