Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skid Steers

• 10-11-2010 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi guys,

Need a bit of info on Skid steers for a college project. I'm basically carrying out a decision cost analysis on the purchase of skid steer. I've emailed the following manufacturers Bobcat, CAt, Case, JCB & John Deere. all bar JCB have directed me to the company website where as JCB have been good enought o forward on brochures etc. What I'm looking for from boardies is more general info skid steers. has anyoine here used them how do they find them etc. any experiences or knowldege of any manufacturers plant would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Demons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Hi - - Sorry.. your question is very general -- have you any specific questions you want answered ?Ive operated most of the makes you have mentioned -- so trying to make a cost comparison/decision without specific end use will be difficult ... PM me if you have a bunch of Q.s

PS ) Takahuchi make an excellent track SS
    http://www.takeuchi-us.com/TL230.html
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICHAE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hey, I presume you want info on rubber tyred skidsteers only, and not track type skid steer loaders? What exactly do you want to know? You can get the specs on every make from their respective websites. Do you want to know why a customer would go for one brand over another or just which model in the range? Get back to me and I hope that I can give you some insight. I worked in the plant and tool hire industry and we settled on New Holland because they were the closest dealership for backup and support. Others in our locality did the same because they had New Holland tractors and wanted to stay dealing with one company, also easier to trade in. Some people go Bobcat because the name is synonymous with skidsteer loaders as they have been making them for years. Price is always a factor but loyalty and convenience are others.

Hey, I presume you want info on rubber tyred skidsteers only, and not track type skid steer loaders? What exactly do you want to know? You can get the specs on every make from their respective websites. Do you want to know why a customer would go for one brand over another or just which model in the range? Get back to me and I hope that I can give you some insight. I worked in the plant and tool hire industry and we settled on New Holland because they were the closest dealership for backup and support. Others in our locality did the same because they had New Holland tractors and wanted to stay dealing with one company, also easier to trade in. Some people go Bobcat because the name is synonymous with skidsteer loaders as they have been making them for years. Price is always a factor but loyalty and convenience are others.

As regards using them there are a couple of factors. what are you using it for, lanscaping( using as a barrow or for leveling and maybe carrying things and pallets around. road works (sweeping, planning tarmac, breaking concrete, scooping up stone, soil, carrying stuff around). Farm ( carrying, stacking, loading bales, mucking out stables, scraping down the yard) etc. etc. A big contender nowadays to skidsteers are small wheel loaders. Some people find it hard to get used to Skidsteers especially D.I.Y.ers but anybody can sit on a wheel loader and drive it. Skidsteers has so many safety issues, visibility from the seat being the biggest. Also some people are careless about getting out of the cab under raised loads (sometimes it is necessary of course) Punctures are a pain too, because skidsteers are often pivoted on the spot or by a few short skids the tyres come in for a lot of wear and once they are baldy you can runover something small and puncture easily. A huge advan for S.S.s is the range of attachments, to get a real scope go to the bobcat u.s. website and check out the attachments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 demons

thanks for replying,
    I've been onto the websites of the main manufacturers and seen the info that they have on line I've emailed reps from these companies and requested price lists so that I can use that as part of my criteria. I would like to know miore about the types of tyres thay run and the cost of replacing them and be able to use this as part of my cost analysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I'd avoid the CAT.

The engines in these must be a weak point. I know a company that has had 2 engine failures. Small ends on one and headgasket on the other. Both with low hours.

I also don't like the way the steering is done on them. I prefer the original bobcat design with left hand - left wheels, right hand - right wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Slidey wrote: »
    I also don't like the way the steering is done on them. I prefer the original bobcat design with left hand - left wheels, right hand - right wheels

I drove a New Holland Skid Steer a while back which had pedals for operatinf the loader. Not my cup of tea at all and I found it very difficult to be smooth when operating the loader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I learned to drive an original bobcat with these controls nearly 20 years ago when I was only a kid so am used to it. Heel up, toe down.

So long as you don't let sand or stones build up around the pedals you can be everybit as smooth as ones on the joy stick. Different strokes for different folks and all that

Yeah depends what you are used to, I like the pedals but I'm sure I would get used to the servos if i had the chance.

Advertisement