Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Riddled with Computer Viruses?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Just came home from college plugged in my USB Stick and bam more viruses the "Auto run" type ones. Thats second time in two daysso be wary when using a mem stick on your home PC and make sure youve got up to date antivirus.

whatever Anti-Virus there using its not doing the job, i think its MacAFee. I got them both from the carrolls building PC's.

Seems it the same virus too;

10/11/2010 10:35:34 Real-time file system protection file L:\pUOiw.ExE Win32/AutoRun.VB.GJ worm cleaned by deleting - quarantined NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

virus Name:
    Win32/AutoRun.VB.GJ worm

Had the same one yesterday. It will be Hidden on you USB Drive as well and will try to autorun when you plug it in.

EDIT:
    it seems to create shortcuts on the root folder of your USB stick too so if you see strange short-cuts appearing DO NOT double click them, delete them ASAP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

You should report it to IT - last year i had a project on a memory stick, think it got infected in college and the antivirus wiped it :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

There's a sex joke in this thread somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    There's a sex joke in this thread somewhere....

rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Got the same type of autorun virus on my USB key too. Luckily it was detected when I plugged it in at home.

Also got new folders created on my key which I've been told are viruses aswell. I certainly didn't create them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Awww you edited the thread title.

Booooerrrrnnnsss. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

One of the lecturers today said that theres a virus or worm thats hogging up the network in the college which explains the terrably slow speeds and outage today .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Welcome to february 2009 ;)

"possible usb 'autoplay' virus on computers in comp dept? will investigate further but definitely something up."

http://twitter.com/dkitdown/status/1205856665

That's when i first reported / noticed it although it had been around for a long time before that (i just couldn't narrow down the problem).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

In 4 years there with loads of different usb keys/hard drives I've never seen it, dont be sticking them into the skanky looking pc's! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

I see There is Microsoft Security Essentails On the Business Computers Labs, So you can Scan You Flash Drive Before you Leave the collage.

Its the Green/ Or Orange House Icon beside the time.

I have this on my laptop at home and it picks up Alll the virus so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IvyIvy

Just proves as usual this college is full of IT skanks! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement