Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rollers/Turbo trainers...

• 10-11-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

As it is becoming increasingly difficult to get out training mid week what with it being pitch black by the time i get home from work, I am thinking of getting a set of rollers or a turbo trainer... What are the differences...?
    I know some people who love them and use them regularly and some people who hate them...
    What would you all suggest?
    Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

searchw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Hmmm... a red X.

Is that code for something...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Fender76 wrote: »
    As it is becoming increasingly difficult to get out training mid week what with it being pitch black by the time i get home from work, I am thinking of getting a set of rollers or a turbo trainer... What are the differences...?
    I know some people who love them and use them regularly and some people who hate them...
    What would you all suggest?
    Thanks in advance....

You'll find loads of info if you search for "rollers" or "turbo Trainers"

IMHO, there's no difference..just depends how much PAIN and SWEAT you can take! :D get some lights/warm cloths and get out on the road...more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Briefly- most/some Turbos have the advantage of adjusting the resistance so you can vary your workload. Turbo's require little in the way of concentration and mind numbing boredom rapidly sets in.
    Rollers are excellent for developing balance pedaling technique and usually have no adjustable resistance. HOWEVER on the rollers- you stop pedalling you very quickly come to a halt and fall over. Rollers have an acquired way of getting on and starting. Once you get the hang of rollers intense boredom sets in - you take your eye of the rollers and fall off them like a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There was a thread a week or two ago that covered most of it, bcmf covered the important points though.

I would go for a turbo myself, each one is just as boring and not as good as being on the road, but on the rollers it can be easier to just switch off and count the minutes (slowly) go by.

Get some good box sets of a TV show or a decent itunes playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I have both, got a turbo very recently, due to an ankle injury (afraid to get on the rollers with it). I find them to be as boring as each other, but great for training in different ways, basically exactly what bcmf said. Although you can get resistence units for rollers, or specific (freemotion) rollers for sprint drills etc. Rollers can take a little getting used to, whereas once you attach your bike to a turbo, you are ready to go.
    Either way, indoor training is boring, the best is just to get out there.
    Personally, of the two, I dont really have a preference, as there are different drills you can do on each, but the rollers do feel more natural, whereas the turbo just turns your bike into an exercise bike.

For ease of use, go for rollers, and definitely use your credit card here http://www.thesufferfest.com/ , they charge aprrox €8.50 for each downloadable video, they currently have 4, with another on the way.
    As for rollers, just stick on your headphones and crank up the volume. (for first time use, set them up in a doorway)

Advertisement