Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat won't go outside

• 10-11-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

I have had my little one yr old cat for over a month now from the DSPCA. She's chipped & has a collar with our numbers & I wanted to start letting her out. We live in a cul de sac & it's quite safe for her, my other cat goes out a lot. I tried it a week ago & she seemed to be okay and interested & followed my other cat around & came back when called.

I haven't tried since then as haven't been home much when it's light out (I don't like letting them out at night). Today I tried & she seems scared to go out. I tried bringing her out in my arms & staying out in the garden, coaxing with food and toys. She doesn't go past the back door step & just wants to go back in.

I can leave her indoors but feel she might be missing out not getting to wander around a little.

Any tips on getting her used to being outside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Ah you've only had her a month, there is no rush in getting her to go out, she'll go in her own good time when she's built up a little confidence.

I read before that you're not supposed to bring them out in your arms because they don't have control of the situation and may get more scared than going out under their own steam.

Good luck and post some pics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What about using a cat harness and try to "walk" her outside a bit? But as said above, give her time. Its a big scary world outside the front door,she'll get braver eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

also it's winter. I guarantee when the summer nights come along she'll be impossible to keep in. Let her snuggle down till then - you're lucky, my cats go nuts if they aren't let out, and I worry about them....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Our moggy stays in the garden all day during the summer but he barely goes out the door these days, I remember last Christmas he did go out in the frost briefly but after 5 minutes of skidding around the garden he didn't budge outside the house for about 6 weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks guys, I guess the cold is part of the problem, it was warmer last Wednesday! She has very short hair whereas the cat that's out a lot has the thickest fluffy white fur so I can't imagine how she gets cold.

Will leave her be for the meantime & I'll at least offer to her to go out every so often in case she changes her mind, as cats do all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

I remember we had one cat who never stayed out for more than 30 mins max - and she had the thickest fur it's ever been my misfortune to groom. She seemed to need to be indoors near humans, in spite of having a mother, father and sibling who all enjoyed roaming abroad for hours at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Not a bad thing that she wants to stay in, if she roams she could end up mangled on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kittyo

Wish I had the same problem!! Walked out of the house to indignant yowling from my two cause I wouldn't let them out because of bad weather forecast.

I know as soon as i turn the corner that they nest on the bed for the day snoozing :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Mine lasted half an hour outside today, then wanted in.
    They're now looking at me with "what on earth were you thinking??" looks on their faces from their beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Cats hate the rain and the cold they much prefer to be snuggled up on your bed getting loads of cuddles than being outside roaming. I had a simillar problem with my kitten i got from the DSPCA he wouldnt go near the back door even though my other two would be in and out, i could leave the door open and he would just stay in the sitting room. Then one day he stood looking out at the others from the door and after about 20 mins he eventually ventured outside. Now every time the door opens he is gone like a rocket. However he never leaves the back garden even though the other two go roaming he is content enough (for now) :)

Give your cat time and dont force her outside she will go in her own time. Maybe just leave the door open and walk away like i did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

blondie7 wrote: »
    Cats hate the rain and the cold they much prefer to be snuggled up on your bed getting loads of cuddles than being outside roaming. I had a simillar problem with my kitten i got from the DSPCA he wouldnt go near the back door even though my other two would be in and out, i could leave the door open and he would just stay in the sitting room. Then one day he stood looking out at the others from the door and after about 20 mins he eventually ventured outside. Now every time the door opens he is gone like a rocket. However he never leaves the back garden even though the other two go roaming he is content enough (for now) :)

Give your cat time and dont force her outside she will go in her own time. Maybe just leave the door open and walk away like i did

Depends on the cat.. Our two (litter mates and fluffy) insist on going out in all weathers. They come in soaked and hate being towelled .. icy rubs against legs are not appreciated. Their fur is ready for all weathers; thick and shining.

Cats are individuals after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I would leave her be. If she doesn't want to go out - great! She will be much safer, at less risk of accidents, picking up illnesses, fleas, mites etc

As long as she is getting adequate exercise and stimulation inside then there is no need to worry. Get her chasing danglers, toy mice etc and she'll be happy as larry!

I wish mine didn't want to go out!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MsFifers wrote: »
    I would leave her be. If she doesn't want to go out - great! She will be much safer, at less risk of accidents, picking up illnesses, fleas, mites etc

As long as she is getting adequate exercise and stimulation inside then there is no need to worry. Get her chasing danglers, toy mice etc and she'll be happy as larry!

I wish mine didn't want to go out!

But glad that you let them. Mine come in with their eyes large and wild! They have had a wonderful time out there.... I hate to see them heading in the direction of the road, but they seem to be street wise. Always glad when they are safe on my bed at night... But they are free creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cat harness is a good idea, just because the cat is chipped doesn't mean the cat is going to be safe in a cul de sac, the cat could wander outside of the cul de sac and they aren't guranteed safe anyway. Ensure the collar is a quick release one so the cat doesn't get caught on anything.
    In this weather indoor cats prefer to stay indoors, they hate the cold.
    Be prepared if you allow your cat out esp. in winter when there's long dark evenings that you might never see your cat again, roads, dogs, cat fights and non cat lovers are all a danger to your cat.
    If you leave your cat out it might seek shelter under or in a car, they often go up into warm engines and then well your cat will of had it.

Advertisement