Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to shoppers in Ballyvolane - watch your bags!

Options
  • 10-11-2010 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Just a warning for folks in the area - while doing shopping last night in Ballyvolane Dunnes Stores, I was told that a woman had been mugged in the car park at 08.30pm. She turned around to put her shopping into the boot and a number of guys wearing hoodies (shocker) had her handbag wrenched off her shoulder in an instant. On these winter nights, park as close as you can to the complex and keep an eye out on what's going on around you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OMG!! Thanks for that. That's my local store, so I'll certainly keep a lookout...

As an aside. I used the bottle bank there a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I had to park right by it. I put the bottles in, and thought about moving the car closer to the store as I saw some kids there. Didn't bother, ran in, got my bits and returned to the car to find the little darlings buzzing around it.

I don't scare easily, so I fronted them up and asked them what the fcuk they were doing. Of course, I got a load of lip back. So I told them I would check the car very carefully. If I found even a hint of anything, I'd kick the **** out of one and all.

They left fairly sharpish...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Shop there myself, lots of muggings by junkies going on around the area, an ex of mine got mugged on Old Youghal Road by lane going to Alexandra road recently :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

My god Cork seems to be getting more like dolphins barn and summerhill in Dublin with each passing day.:(

charlemont wrote: »
    Shop there myself, lots of muggings by junkies going on around the area, an ex of mine got mugged on Old Youghal Road by lane going to Alexandra road recently :mad:

St Lukes seems to have gone to the dogs now.A lot of the heroin addicts in Cork live in the flats around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Something similar happened in Isaacs, woman walked in grabbed a hand bag and legged it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

charlemont wrote: »
    Fuk, that's my neighbourhood.

I don't feel unsafe in Cork at all though - never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

St Lukes seems to have gone to the dogs now.A lot of the heroin addicts in Cork live in the flats around there.

Complete and utter bullsh!t.

Yeah, I don't think it's wise to deem occasional incidents to be the same thing as a widespread problem. Cork's ridiculously safe overall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think it's wise to deem occasional incidents to be the same thing as a widespread problem. Cork's ridiculously safe overall.

Really? I felt safer wandering around New York City than I do in Cork. I feel like I'm constantly on the look-out for groups of bored scumbags here, and it's even worse at nighttime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

The way I see it, in Cork any Irish city you'll get bored loiterers giving you verbal abuse, trying to act hard etc. and in the States you're less likely to get any of that but more likely to get robbed ...or bludgeoned with a baseball bat by a lone meth-head.

Yeah, I was in O'Keeffes recently, picking up some clotted cream for tea, and it struck me how much like The Wire it had become.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Really? I felt safer wandering around New York City than I do in Cork. I feel like I'm constantly on the look-out for groups of bored scumbags here, and it's even worse at nighttime.
    Well my experience is of being able to walk up e.g. Summerhill North and Capwell alone at night (stupid I know, but with alcohol) and not a hint of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Well my experience is of being able to walk up e.g. Summerhill North and Capwell alone at night (stupid I know, but with alcohol) and not a hint of bother.

definately pretty safe overall. the number of incidents are small in the overall picture and no point being overly paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Tell me about it I live just on Summer Hill North/St. Lukes. Damned junkies - main problem actually is vandalism 4 or 5 months ago a spate of smashing wing mirrors, now same thing again in last week. Still a lot of scum generally hanging out at the cross now, might have to sort them out some night :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Well there is alot of scumbags in the city but usually it's safe enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I live in a cul de sac and its this summer was crazy i could write a book about it here but its only amongst people who know each other and just start fighting and arguing after a hard day taking drugs and drinking,and live in houses where the landlords dont give a ****, thankfully its gone very quiet here since about 7/8 of the main causes got evicted or left..although tonight a new generation were out there by the steps drinking breaking bottles but they dont live here.. I hear more noise lately at night from Wellington Road... Anyone ever walk up the steps to Waterloo from Wellington Rd /York hill, be wide dodgy.. a local drunk was stumbling up there about 2 weeks ago, he feel forward and whacked his head off the wall..

Been living on Old Youghal Road by the barracks on and off since 2001 and, while it can get a bit dodge at night because of all the pubs, I have never had one bit of bother. Cars sometimes get broken into and I'm putting myself at that risk when I park on the street, but it hasn't happened yet...

But in fairness I'd hazard a guess these bored scumbags you speak of have never actually bothered you though. There are more folks begging and whatnot, obviously more junkies about but actual incidenses of unprovoked attacks in Cork City would be fairly low I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Really ? I never look out for scumbags,bored or otherwise
    like cork it depends where in NY.....never been approached by as many people anywhere selling drugs than in NY myself,even in the corner store........we all have our tales

any way there's dangers everywhere,just use a little cop-on....it goes a long way

I'd walk any street in Cork City at any time of day or night, I may or may not encounter hassle. No way would I walk any street in New York. Therefore, Cork is safer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

tommy21 wrote: »
    Just a warning for folks in the area - while doing shopping last night in Ballyvolane Dunnes Stores, I was told that a woman had been mugged in the car park at 08.30pm. She turned around to put her shopping into the boot and a number of guys wearing hoodies (shocker) had her handbag wrenched off her shoulder in an instant. On these winter nights, park as close as you can to the complex and keep an eye out on what's going on around you!

I hate all this scaremongering! One woman gets robbed (which is terrible, don't get me wrong), in a city of almost 200,000 people, and all of a sudden everyone needs to be careful that they park within two metres of the doors of a shopping centre.

Reminds me of the chain text last year that women were sending all over the city saying to be careful of people coming up to you in the car park in Wilton with a sample of perfume because they'll spray it in your eyes and rob all you have. :pac::pac: Pure bollòxology.

Like the others have said, Cork is a freakishly safe city! Isolated incidents like this are disgusting, but nothing to be getting all paranoid about. Get on with your life, shop in Ballyvolane if that's what turns you on. You could get knocked down on Parnell Place in the morning - doesn't stop you crossing the road there, does it??

• Advertisement

number10a wrote: »
    I hate all this scaremongering! One woman gets robbed (which is terrible, don't get me wrong), in a city of almost 200,000 people, and all of a sudden everyone needs to be careful that they park within two metres of the doors of a shopping centre.

Reminds me of the chain text last year that women were sending all over the city saying to be careful of people coming up to you in the car park in Wilton with a sample of perfume because they'll spray it in your eyes and rob all you have. :pac::pac: Pure bollòxology.

Like the others have said, Cork is a freakishly safe city! Isolated incidents like this are disgusting, but nothing to be getting all paranoid about. Get on with your life, shop in Ballyvolane if that's what turns you on. You could get knocked down on Parnell Place in the morning - doesn't stop you crossing the road there, does it??

I would have to agree the population of the Cork City urban area is bigger than Limerick,Galway and Waterford cities combined and imo it is still a lot nicer than cities like Limerick,Waterford and parts of Dublin.

number10a wrote: »

If you don't like reading it, don't open or post on the thread! Was just giving people in the area a heads up.

tommy21 wrote: »
    If you don't like reading it, don't open or post on the thread! Was just giving people in the area a heads up.

It's a forum :rolleyes:
    No harm in describing your post as scaremongering, it was an isolated incident :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

ah yeah fair enough it is an isolated incident as far as we know, but still no harm warning people to watch their bags in this spot, no one would want wife / GF / mother to experience the same for the sake of being careful..

Well yeah, in case there's a bunch of them hanging around Ballyvolane SC the whole time, but this stuff about Cork becoming junkieville every day... well it sure as hell doesn't seem like Cork to me - a person who lives in Cork and in one of the apparently deteriorating areas. Walked from the top of McCurtain Street to St Luke's and up Military Hill last night and tonight. Not. A. Bother. Lovely walk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I was there yesterday......and got out alive
    1 good day and counting

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fanthomas

I live on Old Youghal Road for four years and have to admit that this place realy had gone to dogs recently.This year my car has been broken into three times,it has never happend before.Only this week two cars have been set on fire.I thinking about same new place.

soundsham wrote: »
    I was there yesterday......and got out alive
    1 good day and counting

But your a "sham" of course you'd be fine ;)

Well yeah, in case there's a bunch of them hanging around Ballyvolane SC the whole time, but this stuff about Cork becoming junkieville every day... well it sure as hell doesn't seem like Cork to me - a person who lives in Cork and in one of the apparently deteriorating areas. Walked from the top of McCurtain Street to St Luke's and up Military Hill last night and tonight. Not. A. Bother. Lovely walk. :)

I'm glad you got there safely! :)

Seriously though I know maybe some find the thread in bad taste - as in painting Cork in a bad light, scare mongering etc. I guess I have seen Cork get rougher of late. Over the last 3/4 years, wing mirrors of both ourselves (5) and our neighbours (countless) are regularly broken off or windscreens damaged; a guy up the road bought a new car, came out to find the roof hacked open six months ago (!); our own car was written off along with the cars of 2 other neighbours when joyriders crashed into them all two months ago(domino effect which resulted in their car being destroyed also); I have seen what I would deem to be drug dealing taking place overtly in the vicinity, something that has not gone unnoticed, in fact guards pulled over a car last week and had the lads lined up against the wall while they searched it and foot patrols seem to be more regular now; there have been a spate of burglaries in recent times too, particularly around Wellington Rd./Sydney Park area. Ballyvolane too just seems to be that bit "rougher" if you get what I mean. I often seen groups of guys and girls out drinking in public, and it just sets a bad tone for the area.

Now these can all be seen as isolated incidents and thankfully particularly vandalism while annoying is not life threatening, and certainly I would wager not many will have seen so much of the above, but in my opinion Cork is getting rougher, at least certainly in the Ballyvolane, Summer Hill, St. Lukes area etc. Is it as bad as parts of Dublin or other European cities? No thankfully. Is it still generally a decent place to live! Yes!

God that was a rambling post :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Complete and utter bullsh!t.

He's not far off the mark actually, between there and Wellington Rd there are alot of junkies, probably because there are alot of rundown flats that are cheap and accept r/a.

Advertisement