Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do they still print The Observer?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Why do they still print The Observer?

I think student newspapers are great and very important for developing journalism skills. My point is, seeing as most media and indeed many newspapers are going online only, why doesn't the Observer go online only also?

It would save a ton on printing fees, save the monthly littering of campus with many, many unread copies of the paper and also prepare the staff more appropriately for a changing global press environment. It would also help them track their readership more accurately and provide scope for interactive content.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

I think more people would pick up a hard copy off the floor, for something to do when bored, than would actually go to the website when the entire internet is at their fingertips. it's too much of a light read, like any local Echo or People newspaper across the country =/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

When I was around Belfield more I used to always pick up a copy of the observer to keep in my bag to glance over when waiting for meetings, waiting for people to meet for lunch etc and always quite enjoyed it. I dont think I'd ever decide to read it online though, theres so many other things to do on the internet. Id imagine quite a lot of their readership fits this "bored student sitting around waiting for things" criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Crosswords and sudoku online would suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

You can't single out the Observer, you have to complain about the Tribune too if you want this thread to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You can't single out the Observer, you have to complain about the Tribune too if you want this thread to continue.

I don't think the tribune gets anywhere near the funding the Observer does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I don't think the tribune gets anywhere near the funding the Observer does.

Doesn't get funded by the SU, the Observer does.

The Tribune can still apply for some grants afaik.

Doesn't make it any less of an apparent waste of space and paper.

Fad wrote: »
    Doesn't get funded by the SU, the Observer does.

The Tribune can still apply for some grants afaik.

Doesn't make it any less of an apparent waste of space and paper.

Yes but it isn't really our business what it does if it is not using our money to do so.

Student media has an important role to play in college life. UCD doesn't offer a journalism course and both the Observer and the Tribune have facilitated the growth of some of our country's top journalists. Also the Observer's budget has been cut in recent years and revenue is also brought in through advertising I don't see it as much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Also the Observer's budget has been cut in recent years and revenue is also brought in through advertising I don't see it as much of an issue.

I would like to see a cost-benefit analysis of it, and how much it brings in.

I think it's a great idea, I just see no reason for it to actually be printed. If people only read it because it's littering the area then that poses a question about the quality of the paper. If it's good enough, people will read it online.

Also the Observer's budget has been cut in recent years and revenue is also brought in through advertising I don't see it as much of an issue.

The budget is like €50000. Substantial enough, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mloc wrote: »
    I would like to see a cost-benefit analysis of it, and how much it brings in.

I think it's a great idea, I just see no reason for it to actually be printed. If people only read it because it's littering the area then that poses a question about the quality of the paper. If it's good enough, people will read it online.

How many students read The Guardian online or the Irish Times? They are obviously good enough, but they would not be the most popular websites of choice for students. The Observer is one of the better things to come from SU funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

They're both shite papers, absolute waste of trees. Either send around an email once a week/fortnight about **** that's going on, that'll do the job and for a fraction of the cost.

El Siglo wrote: »
    They're both shite papers, absolute waste of trees. Either send around an email once a week/fortnight about **** that's going on, that'll do the job and for a fraction of the cost.

Why do you think they're shíte?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Why do you think they're shíte?

Poor spelling, double spaced, lots of trumpeted opinions, waffle etc... The observer annoys me even more so because there's no way it can justify the 50 grand it receives. That money could be used for something more useful, like paying for the health centre, instead it's wasted on the hack pseudo-journalism of the observer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Here's a suggestion to the people in this thread: One of you start a petition to have the University Observers funding revoked, on the grounds that the Tribune does just fine without it. Get enough people, it becomes a referendum, and if it's passed, that money can go somewhere more useful - or back to the students.

Or just complain about it on boards. Either works.

OSI wrote: »
    Which is used to pay the Editor and Deputy Editor no less..

Not a hope. If you knew how little they were getting for how much work they put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Which is the one with the crossword? I can never find it and it really would help kill time in shít lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Which is the one with the crossword? I can never find it and it really would help kill time in shít lectures.

I don't think either have a crossword :/

Lemme check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The budget is like . Substantial enough, I'd say.

I wrote for them and got nights out: taxi, drink and food for free paid by them. Thats great and all but a €50000 bill is too much, the Tribute model of using advertising is more sustainable.

Also that €50000 could be better spent on the students, thats 50 students increased fees paid for after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

i like the paper - it kills time when im waiting for a lecture etc. And there are some pretty funny articles sometimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Not a hope. If you knew how little they were getting for how much work they put in.

450 an issue? Not too shabby.

Grimes wrote: »
    450 an issue? Not too shabby.

If I were to work full time in a shop, assuming a shift is 7.5 hours*, and I'm being paid €8.65, I'd earn €324.38 a week.

Production is fortnightly, so €225 a week really isn't very much, and the editors are working about 12 out of the 14 days, and more than just 9 to 5. Also, deputy editor gets €50 less than the editor afaik.

*I work in a shop, I earn €8.65. A day shift is 8 hours, 7.5 + half hour break. (Night shift is also 8 hours, but you dont get a break, and get time + a tenth).

If I were to work full time in a shop, assuming a shift is 7.5 hours*, and I'm being paid €8.65, I'd earn €324.38 a week.

Production is fortnightly, so €225 a week really isn't very much, and the editors are working about 12 out of the 14 days, and more than just 9 to 5. Also, deputy editor gets €50 less than the editor afaik.

*I work in a shop, I earn €8.65. A day shift is 8 hours, 7.5 + half hour break. (Night shift is also 8 hours, but you dont get a break, and get time + a tenth).

Well in all fairness they publish a forthnightly newspaper so there is no need for the editors of either paper to work 12 to 14 hours a day for 14 days in order to publish something that cannot compare to the daily papers in terms of breaking news & cutting edge journalism. The papers are a collection of short news stories compiled over 2 whole weeks followed by lots of opinion pieces that are prepared by students and emailed in.

In contrast I worked for Belfield Fm where we did 20 weeks straight of live programming 8am-10pm Mon-Fri with no breaks, now that was something in the commercial sector somone would get paid up to and over 80k to manage (25k in in other college stations). Belfield FM staff were paid alot less than the paper editors in contrast to work done.

You cant really compare being the editor of a college newspaper or manager of a college radio station to an actual job. Its just the same as being a paid auditor and we dont compare being an auditor to working in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

It also serves as a de-facto record for this small location should anyone need to know historical accounts in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

El Siglo wrote: »

Hey sligo I know you've been out for a couple years, I can't comment on what it was like back in the day, but I have heard a lot of final years talk about a recent massive increase in quality of the tribune in particular.

"Coca Cola still available on campus despite Britvic deal" is the current front page headline.

I think that speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alwaysanon

mloc wrote: »
    "Coca Cola still available on campus despite Britvic deal" is the current front page headline.

I think that speaks for itself.

Call me stupid, but I can't see what's wrong with that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

alwaysanon wrote: »
    Call me stupid, but I can't see what's wrong with that?!

The reason its there? Stock that was bought before the deal is being used up.

Hardly front page material.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Hardly front page material.

In all fairness its a bit of a silly season. Its not like the country is falling apart and fees are on the brink of coming in and the presidents of USI and UCDSU are Fianna Fail hacks.

/sarcasm

• Advertisement

Paying that much a year to know that if I walk to certain fridges on campus I'll find a selection of soft drinks from more than one company?

Slash budget by 90% and go online only. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then it shows it was wasted money to begin with.

Advertisement