Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do they still print The Observer?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I agree with the majority of statements on this thread; it is a serious waste of E50,000, considering (apparently) the College Tribune produces the same amount of issues at a considerably lower cost.

What annoys me the most about the Observer is that some of the writers (I won't call them journalists or columnists:D) are absolutely shocking! I mean that sports editorial that's in every issue has to be the worst piece of sports journalism I have ever read. The author lacks serious knowledge in the area of Football! Yet he's writing on it :eek:

Email them and look to write for it yourself. I did that once upon a time after I was fed up with some of their articles. Any student in UCD can submit articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Hi Everyone

I agree with the majority of statements on this thread; it is a serious waste of E50,000, considering (apparently) the College Tribune produces the same amount of issues at a considerably lower cost.

What annoys me the most about the Observer is that some of the writers (I won't call them journalists or columnists:D) are absolutely shocking! I mean that sports editorial that's in every issue has to be the worst piece of sports journalism I have ever read. The author lacks serious knowledge in the area of Football! Yet he's writing on it :eek:

Is the Tribune much better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The Student Blog

No... but apparently its better value for money :P

No... but apparently its better value for money :P

I think in terms of news stories both papers do well but when it comes to features and sport they seem to be lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think the issue here is why does it cost the Tribune 20k to be a pile of shite and the observer 50k to be an equal pile of shite

• Advertisement

I think in terms of news stories both papers do well but when it comes to features and sport they seem to be lacking.

I'll say it again, email them and become a writer if you think you can do better. A lot of the features and sport articles come from non-staff members of The Observer. If you have an idea, sign up and send your article in to them. I had articles published as an undergrad and it always looks good on a CV.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/universityobserver.ie/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dG5KamZMTHIwSnFJV2VpWmpqZ2UzZGc6MA..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

it always looks good on a CV

And thus you have nailed the only potential use of the Observer.

mloc wrote: »

Not really. Most worthwhile universities have similar newspapers. I'm not going to bother re-typing the benefits of the paper as they have been mentioned numerous times (The historical record is an interesting reason).

I have had issues with it down the years which is why I asked to write a response to an article in it a few years ago. But it is worthwhile for any college to have a newspaper like The Observer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

mloc wrote: »
    Also, it's handy for starting fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

The Observer is far superior to the Tribune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

http://issuu.com/tribune/docs/22.7 the tribune 3 years ago. just saying.

http://issuu.com/tribune/docs/22.7 the tribune 3 years ago. just saying.

When did they get their Pulitzer? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

OSI wrote: »
    Wouldn't happen to be the same Brady that writes for the observer would you? I wonder why you would find the Observer a better paper.

No, I actually do a bit of writing for the Farming Independent.

The Observer is far superior to the Tribune.

I couldnt agree with that. I have only really started reading both papers this yea and have found that the College Tribune is always more enjoyable and interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Grimes wrote: »
    In all fairness Fad, their office is in the SU corridor and is funded by the union and the editor is usually an SU hack. Its supposed to be independent but in reality its not. Its an insult to people's intelligence to claim otherwise.

Happen to read any of the Observer's editorials this year? Can be quite critical of the SU.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Happen to read any of the Observer's editorials this year? Can be quite critical of the SU.

No where near enough imo.

Ok, here's how we're going to play this, we're all just going to pretend that nobody made any defamatory and completely irrelevant points about anyone here, and just move on with this discussion, mmkay?

Consider this a warning against posting up libelous gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I see this thread is still kicking...

A Few points- The observer is considered boring and uninteresting and the content (Coca Cola etc) is deemed unworthy in its placement in the paper. Well firstly, it is a university newspaper which is suppose to document uni life in all its glory and mis-givings, it is not a national paper, therefore it cannot be constantly appealing and interesting to the viewership. Official college life is by and large boring and so the paper is boring, so unless the paper turns into a tabloid and begins writing about some of the stuff thats just been mentioned on this thread it will continue to be boring.

Bad Writers- It is written by and large by students like ourselves not paid journos. If you think you can do better you do it.

SU Propaganda- Every paper in Ireland has allegiances to some organisation, even the major ones eg Indo- FF. RTE to whomever the government is at the time. Tubridy- FF Joe Duffy- FF its an endless list. The media aligns itself with influence so it can get its own way.

SU Grant- Its fairly steep but almost every non-essential thing on that budget gets too much money, so its the system that needs an overhaul not the just the paper.

So overall if you give a sh1t about it join the SU and sort it out and become one of them people you hate.

Tbh I couldn't give a toss about the whole thing. About 2 euro of my money goes to fund the paper, if even.

Grimes wrote: »
    So there is an anomoly in the tradition but in general its fair to say that the newspaper is funded by and located in the Union. Also the SU Pres is on the interview pannel for the editor and vice editor position.

In previous years the President, Aoghan O'Dea if I recall correctly threatened to withold funding until a retraction was made on a statement by the paper (quite rightly a retraction was called for).

But I seriously doubt a case can be made for editorial indendence for the Observer in reality.

Ah, look, several headlines this year have slated the SU for overspending and misuse of funds in both the Tribune and The Observer. Whatever the case was in the past, I can most definitely say that the Observer is editorially independent.

As regards the quality of the papers, I think the Observer is of a very high standard, particularly the entertainment section. While I have friends writing for the Tribune, I feel it lags behind the Observer but is still very good.

If you compare the quality of those two newspapers with local newspapers around the country, written by professional reporters and journalists, they come off well. I think they're both very worthwhile publications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

I agree... you compare what is in those two papers with what local papers produce and the college publications in many cases come out top!...

I must say the Tribune is looking particularly well this year, I really think its news section is top notch and, as i posted in another thread, its cartoons are genius!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

bit OTT with this week's issue ??

Love how the Observer proved the point against them with that issue. Seriously lads, if you can devote almost the entire first 3 pages to "OMG, they want to shut us down!" then maybe you're not that vital a student service.

Also, reading Daras letter, I'm curious how much of the facts he's aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Raphael wrote: »
    Love how the Observer proved the point against them with that issue. Seriously lads, if you can devote almost the entire first 3 pages to "OMG, they want to shut us down!" then maybe you're not that vital a student service.

Also, reading Daras letter, I'm curious how much of the facts he's aware of.

It's news and the editor's opinion. Opinion being the key word.

Speaking honestly I think the University Observer being cut would be a severe loss to UCD Campus and a disgrace to the Union. You can talk all about how much of a 'waste' it is but how much do Ents waste? How much does Welfare spend on condoms that just get thrown around the Student Centre? And I know it's way back in October but the class rep weekend? Surely it'd make more sense to cut something that only benefits a few rather than the whole campus.

I'm an Arts student and I chose to become one out of passion for English but in all fairness it isn't going to get me a job, and doing a journalism degree in DCU is useless. By writing for the Observer I've gained many skills and have improved my writing tenfold. Walk into any journalism interview and they'll want to see your book of clippings rather than your degree.

Also you can paint me with the SU Hack brush all you want but I honestly don't think being a former Fashion Editor for the University Observer makes me a part of supposed UCDSU propaganda.

No ones saying the Observor should be taken away, just that the 50 grand that it doesn't need should be taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I find the Tribune practically unreadable, given the poor quality of the writing and editing, but when I see something like this in the Observer I have to question whether it has any sub-editors on its staff. The writer (an aspiring teacher and aspiring TD) isn't a professional writer - she thinks that the Student Union is funded by a structure that keeps a river from flooding the landscape - but that's the kind of howler that should be picked off by a sub-editor, along with the clichés. The no-budget Tribune can be forgiven its shortcomings, but I expect better from the paper that costs me money.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

It dosnt really say much for the quality of UCD students. Personally I blame free fees and the low arts acceptance points which defies Darwin at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mynameissarah

You see the thing is you're saying The Observer as the institution that it is should be taken away, I believe that was what Dara O'Briain was pointing to in his letter.

I do agree that in these times the Union should indeed be scrutinising its funding and looking at adjustment to make the system more cost effective. However, I think that completely eradicating student funded student media is an absolute joke.

Belfield FM and The Observer have provided the breeding ground for some great talent: Tubridy, Libreri, O'Briain and Leahy to name but a few.

Is it wrong for students to fund a student run newspaper? Is it wrong for a Students' Union which is run by students FOR students and claims to represent student interests to fund two campus media facilities? I don't think so.

The argument that everybody doesn't need a newspaper which is funded is defunct too, when you consider that not everybody rushes down to the SU Corridor for free condoms despite the fact that they're provided. Just because everyone doesn't avail of a facility doesn't mean that those who do don't appreciate what it offers.

The students in The Observer are indeed, students. They pay the same reg fee and Student Centre Levy as everyone else in the University. The Observer is the student funded facility they choose to avail of, some for the fun of writing, others with the aim of compiling a portfolio of future work. I fail to understand why that renders them the recipients of the 'SU HACK' or 'Observer snob' slur.

Newspaper internships are few and far between and unless you know somebody on the inside or are incredibly fortunate to be the applicant picked, you may as well forget about it. The Observer is offering students a similar experience: in this respect the SU is actually funding professional development.

I'm against the referendum, wholeheartedly. If it advocated SU accounts being published and genuine reform being looked at, then I'd be all for it. However it isn't, as far as I'm concerned it's about cutting off the limb that some regard as totally unnecessary, and with that I most vehemently disagree.

Newspaper internships are few and far between and unless you know somebody on the inside or are incredibly fortunate to be the applicant picked, you may as well forget about it. The Observer is offering students a similar experience: in this respect the SU is actually funding professional development..

By the same logic the SU should support training programs for all students who require experience to gain work in the field where graduate training is difficult to obtain without prior experience. Why is it restricted to media? Archaeoligsts, Historians ect. Im sure the SU could do with publishing a few self funded academic journals.

Riamfada wrote: »
    By the same logic the SU should support training programs for all students who require experience to gain work in the field where graduate training is difficult to obtain without prior experience. Why is it restricted to media?

I never suggested that it should be restricted to media, I was merely pointing to the fact that I feel the funding goes to good use.

• Advertisement

I never suggested that it should be restricted to media, I was merely pointing to the fact that I feel the funding goes to good use.

Furthermore, when I say funding I do not mean 'Oh let's just hand The Observer 50 grand.'

Like I've said, I'm all for reform, just not for the complete eradication of funding.

Advertisement