Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

28" wheels????

• 10-11-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

hi

I got a pretty good bike frame from my uncle who is emigrating. It has no wheels. My brother tells me that they're 28 inch wheels. I cant find any info on 28" wheels. Is he right. I can find reference to 26" wheels and 28" tyres. What do you guys think. Do I need to post more info for an answer? What would I be looking at paying for a set? just looking for something basic to get me to and from work, bike is supposed to be good though cost ~€700 new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

They are commonly referred to as 700c in UK & Ireland, also look under the road wheel sections on websites

eurokev wrote: »
    hi

I got a pretty good bike frame from my uncle who is emigrating. It has no wheels. My brother tells me that they're 28 inch wheels. I cant find any info on 28" wheels. Is he right. I can find reference to 26" wheels and 28" tyres. What do you guys think. Do I need to post more info for an answer? What would I be looking at paying for a set? just looking for something basic to get me to and from work, bike is supposed to be good though cost ~€700 new

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

hi

I've never heard of 28 inch wheels.
    They tend to be 27 1/4 inch or 700c.
    The former tend to be on older frames though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Sizing is complicated since a 27"(630mm) is larger than a 28" (622mm). A 700c tyre would fit your wheel. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html for a full explanation, it's fun:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

Several European countries use that system for wheels. 20" 24" 26" and 28". Yes 28" is 700c. How much it will cost you... the sky is the limit and second hand parts are sometimes a good option.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

My rod brake roadster has 28" wheels (ISO 635)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

lescol wrote: »
    Sizing is complicated since a 27"(630mm) is larger than a 28" (622mm). A 700c tyre would fit your wheel. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html for a full explanation, it's fun:D

Oh my god. Thats pretty intense. I think ill just try and find the bike model tomorrow and follow. This looks like way too much to even begin to try and figure out:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Let us know which bike frame you have and we'll let you know the wheel size to fit.

lescol wrote: »
    Let us know which bike frame you have and we'll let you know the wheel size to fit.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

27inch wheels are bigger than 700c which are sometimes called 28inch, 28inch wheels are bigger than 700c mtb wheels which are sometimes called 29er!

27inch wheels are bigger than 700c which are sometimes called 28inch, 28inch wheels are bigger than 700c mtb wheels which are sometimes called 29er!

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh you cant be serious:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh you cant be serious:confused:
    also, tubular wheels which are 700c, take 28" tubular tyres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭techieelectric

rughdh wrote: »
    My rod brake roadster has 28" wheels (ISO 635)

Yeah this is where things get confusing, 28" roadster tyres being 635 and 28" being 622 as well. Like english three speeds having 26 x1 3/8 tyres and mountain bike having 26x1.75.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭techieelectric

Although to be fair I've never heard anyone call a 27" a 28" except mistakenly, that would make things really confusing.

Advertisement