Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade recommendation for a 7900GS

Options
  • 10-11-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a cheap upgrade to replace a 7900GS (an overclocked XFX card) in an old PC which sports a 420 W PSU.

It's a secondary PC (for guests / friends) used to play back multimedia etc and games like Dragon Age at a resolution of 1280 * 1024 with medium details on a 19" LCD.

Since the 7900GS is so old I'm hoping that there are entry level cards these days which would offer a good performance boost for a relatively cheap amount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm not too sure on how much power it uses, but I think the GTS 450 should fit your needs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you can find a second-hand HD4770, grand, otherwise grab a cheap HD5770. Anything higher is overkill in terms of cost and power draw for 1280*1024. A HD5670 on the other hand, while very efficient, isn't much cheaper than a HD5770 and possibly a bit weak past 720p.

Advertisement