Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Wayne O Donoghue benefit from manslaughter

• 10-11-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭

I see from rte news that Wayne O Donoghue has settled his libel case against tv3
    If there is a financial settlement
    I wonder should the O Holohan family instigate a civil action to prevent O Donoghue from benefiting from such a despicable act
    Im sure everybody remembers the picture of lovely Robert and i cant help feeling uneasy about this
    I know that the O Holohans will probably want nothing to do with the money but im sure they would donate it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1110/odonoghuew_tv3.html

mods edit my title please (delete laughter thanks)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Its Ireland kill a child do 3 years prison,come out sue a tv station get money then leave the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What do you mean by 'manslaughter laughter'.

Where's the laughter come into this at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I heard earlier that it was settled without any appology from TV3 and without any pay-off. I reckon the family will just want to put it all behind them now tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

I hope thats right
    my stomach turned at the thought of him benefiting
    It just said settled
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

he still have a number of cases pending against some newspapers .... so he'll make a serious amount of money from it. (enough to cover his college fees and live comfortably in England after he graduates)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I have to say I hope he gets hounded by the UK tabloids should he decide to settle there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The court was asked to strike out the action.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

meercat wrote: »
    I see from rte news that Wayne O Donoghue has settled his libel case against tv3
    If there is a financial settlement
    I wonder should the O Holohan family instigate a civil action to prevent O Donoghue from benefiting from such a despicable act
    Im sure everybody remembers the picture of lovely Robert and i cant help feeling uneasy about this
    I know that the O Holohans will probably want nothing to do with the money but im sure they would donate it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1110/odonoghuew_tv3.html

mods edit my title please (delete laughter thanks)
    He wouldn't be benefiting from the crime, though. The libel case is a seperate matter. The newspapers and tv3 claimed he commited a different crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I always was quite sympathetic with his case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

As much as I'd dislike to see O'Donoghue gain money I'd prefer to see TV3 lose money (enough to go out of business even). Perhaps they could set up up so that any profit has to be donated to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He was completely right to sue

The whole semen issue was never introduced by the prosecutor. It was not used to convict him or as evidence and then the media start to publish stories that wouldn't hold up in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

In fairness, TV3 have been shown up as pure scum by the allegations that there was a sexual nature to the crime. Anyone with a bit of sense knew that it was a terrible one-off tragedy, something that both families will have to live with for the rest of there lives. ****-stirring broadcasters and papers boil my blood when incidents like this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

the fact that it was not his semen would make me, if I were him, no matter what, want to clear that much up. It's a gross inaccuracy, regardless of the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

TV3 should know the law of their industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Grimes wrote: »
    TV3 should know the law of their industry.

The sad fact of that is, they and a few others I won't bother to name, are well aware that the sensationalist, unsubstantiated sh1te they peddle will sell more than it will ever cost them in legal fees.

Millicent wrote: »
    The sad fact of that is, they and a few others I won't bother to name, are well aware that the sensationalist, unsubstantiated sh1te they peddle will sell more than it will ever cost them in legal fees.

I blame the bankers and Fianna Fail, its not like anything else in this country is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I blame the bankers and Fianna Fail, its not like anything else in this country is rotten.

:D Although, if it'll get you ratings on St. Stephen's Day, it's perfectly acceptable to inappropriately prying into a minister's serious ill health and call it "breaking news". :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Can't the parents of Robert Holohan take a civil action against him and take this money from him?

dvpower wrote: »
    Can't the parents of Robert Holohan take a civil action against him and take this money from him?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1110/breaking38.html

"In a statement following the ruling, TV3 said the case was settled on agreed terms “which involved no apology, no damages and no order as to costs”."

read the facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dvpower wrote: »

What money? No one said there was a financial settlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

I have to say I hope he gets hounded by the UK tabloids should he decide to settle there.

Why would you wish that on anyone? Won't bring the Child back, pretty rotten attitude to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Well, I'm going to try and discuss this in a calm, rational manner. I know the public tend to go into a feeding frenzy when something like this is discussed, (see the Larry Murphy episode recently) but let's try to keep this sensible, and not let emotions run away with themselves.

To the best of my knowledge (and I stand to be corrected here, as my only knowledge of the case was from the media), Wayne O Donoghue was found guilty of manslaughter. Judging from the evidence produced, the whole thing struck me as an accident, rather than a sinister sex crime, as was being insinuated. O Donoghue then panicked, and hid the body. God knows how any of us would react if we found ourselves in the same situation; the mind does unbelievable things when under pressure.

I find the attempt to smear him with allegations of sexual misconduct as a cheap, tabloid stunt. Granted, the mother of Robert Holohan revealed that semen had been found on her sons body. It was not proven to be O Donoghues. I am satisfied that if there was even a hint of a sexual aspect to this case, the Gardai investigating and DPP would have introduced this evidence.

As I said above, cool heads need to prevail. Whatever opinion you might have about O Donoghue (Or any criminal for that matter), it would be a sad day if the media were allowed to throw any kind of mud they wished at a person.

Now if any other person has information, whether informal of formal, relating to this case, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

mossyc123 wrote: »
    In fairness, TV3 have been shown up as pure scum by the allegations that there was a sexual nature to the crime. Anyone with a bit of sense knew that it was a terrible one-off tragedy, something that both families will have to live with for the rest of there lives. ****-stirring broadcasters and papers boil my blood when incidents like this happen.

I agree. Defamation laws exist for a reason. Wayne O' Donoghue has paid his debt to society, he has done his time. It was an awful tragic accident and he panicked. To say that he is getting paid for manslaughter is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i can't say what i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

What money? No one said there was a financial settlement.
    The OP did.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1110/breaking38.html

"In a statement following the ruling, TV3 said the case was settled on agreed terms “which involved no apology, no damages and no order as to costs”."

read the facts?
    The case was settled out of court so of course there was no damages or order as to costs. That doesn't preclude an ex gratia payment being made without any admission of liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

Did a search on this as I saw in the papers that it was settled today. My question is 'if there was semen on roberts body where did it come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I agree. Defamation laws exist for a reason. Wayne O' Donoghue has paid his debt to society, he has done his time. It was an awful tragic accident and he panicked. To say that he is getting paid for manslaughter is ridiculous.

Horsesh*t.

There's tax avoidance and tax evasion.

The same principal also can be applied to the wider letter of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Horsesh*t.

There's tax avoidance and tax evasion.

The same principal also can be applied to the wider letter of the law.

This is a nonsense. He was convicted of manslaughter and various media outlets insinuated something considerably more morally wrong. He's entirely within his rights to sue a media outlets that repeats such claims. This isn't about profiting from manslaughter; this is about the right not to be called a child rapist without evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

hondasam wrote: »

I understand how upset she was but that was a disgraceful thing to do to something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

. My question is 'if there was semen on roberts body where did it come from?

from my memory i think the prosecution found semen on his body but would not introduce this evidence as they could not be sure whos it was
    there was some found on a mat in the toilet which may have been waynes or close relatives and may have transferred when wayne brought robert to the bathroom to try and revive him

again my sympathies go out Roberts family

Advertisement